cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A belated holiday present from USPS -- ANOTHER POSTAL INCREASE!!!

Just read that USPS has proposed another postal increase for January 2024:  First Class stamps to be raised another 2 cents, but Ground Advantage and Priority may not be changed.

I haven't heard anything definite about USPS Media yet, or other services.

And, of course, all these proposals need to be approved by Congress -- not exactly the most dependable source for sound judgments lately.

The announcement was made on Friday October 6 -- right before a USPS holiday weekend -- so nothing can be confirmed until Tuesday October 10.

So don't say that USPS never gives you anything for Christmas (other than ulcers, headaches, crying jags, nervous breakdowns, etc, etc, etc).

Happy Holidays!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

@lawnmowerpartsstore2 ,

Both Fedex and UPS has announced in their last 2 quarterly earnings reports that ecommerce package volumes have been dropping below expectations. I would think the USPS is immune to what's going on at both Fedex and UPS.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@lawnmowerpartsstore2 ,

Both Fedex and UPS has announced in their last 2 quarterly earnings reports that ecommerce package volumes have been dropping below expectations. I would think the USPS is immune to what's going on at both Fedex and UPS.

fact is both FedEx and UPS charge considerably more to ship, in many cases, in an inflated economy people are going to use services that are cheaper. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

They have been more expensive for years.  Not sure why the effect of that would only be seen now.

How is the economy "inflated"?  What does that mean?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

They have been more expensive for years.  Not sure why the effect of that would only be seen now.

👀🙄it's not preschool, think you know full well what inflation means

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

If some of these big companies(and we all know who they are) paid their fair share of the using the USPS like ordinary citizens the USPS wouldn't have to raise their rates every year.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

And if Fedex and UPS stopped using USPS for the "last mile" because THEY don't service ALL areas of the US...

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

There is no need to be snarky.  I said NOTHING about inflation.  You call the economy an "inflated economy" and I simply asked what you meant by that.  Fine if you don't like the question and/or simply don't desire to answer it, but still no need to try and change what I asked or me confrontational in your response.  If you don't want to answer, then ignore the post or simply say you don't want to answer.  It isn't more complicated than that and it isn't a schoolyard either.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

If some of these big companies(and we all know who they are) paid their fair share of the using the USPS like ordinary citizens the USPS wouldn't have to raise their rates every year.

In 2020, USPS took in 3.9 billion dollars from Amazon and ended up with $1.6 billion in profit.  Amazon pays less than we do because they do more of the processing work: Most Amazon packages are presorted and delivered to the buyer's local Post Office for "last-mile" delivery.  They don't even us all those fancy USPS sorting centers.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

There is no need to be snarky.  I said NOTHING about inflation.  You call the economy an "inflated economy" and I simply asked what you meant by that.  Fine if you don't like the question and/or simply don't desire to answer it, but still no need to try and change what I asked or me confrontational in your response.  If you don't want to answer, then ignore the post or simply say you don't want to answer.  It isn't more complicated than that and it isn't a schoolyard either.

not being "snarky" - there is simply nothing to explain when it's as self explanatory as can be. You did say about inflation and asked what it means. Inflated economy means just that: inflated economy, all you need to know is what the words "inflation" and "economy" mean, put them together and there is your answer. But since your so determined to find out when I'm quite sure you already know just poking like you always do, Inflation means higher costs for products and services and economy means an area or region of distribution of those goods and services that people acquire, use and need. In short what I said mean higher costs for goods and services.  

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

In 2020, USPS took in 3.9 billion dollars from Amazon and ended up with $1.6 billion in profit.  Amazon pays less than we do because they do more of the processing work: Most Amazon packages are presorted and delivered to the buyer's local Post Office for "last-mile" delivery.  They don't even us all those fancy USPS sorting centers.

Just to clarify this.  This is ONLY for packages that Amazon actually ships out either from their own stock of because sellers are using FBA.

Third party sellers that ship their own stuff do not get any of the benefit from this.  We pay like everyone else pays.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

not being "snarky" - there is simply nothing to explain when it's as self explanatory as can be. You did say about inflation and asked what it means. Inflated economy means just that: inflated economy, all you need to know is what the words "inflation" and "economy" mean, put them together and there is your answer. But since your so determined to find out when I'm quite sure you already know just poking like you always do, Inflation means higher costs for products and services and economy means an area or region of distribution of those goods and services that people acquire, use and need. In short what I said mean higher costs for goods and services.  

Yes you were with your opening statement, whether or not you recognize that is a separate issue.

Well we will just have to disagree on this one.  Inflation is one thing, the economy is another [that can certainly be affected by inflation] but "inflated economy" still has me curious.

Last year we had crazy inflation at a rate not seen for many years.  This year it is back to being more normal.  Our unemployment rates are extremely low and there are many other indicators of a good and strong economy.

IMHO the problem comes in with commodity prices and not receded with the economy coming back in line.  Many businesses are hanging onto those Pandemic prices far longer that IMHO they should.  Some types of groceries even decreased their packaging sizes while increasing pricing.  All having a big negative affect on the people.

Many of us are having a hard time working out of what the Pandemic and supply chain issues have done to the prices of stuff.  

It is helpful that average income levels have been rising but still prices of gas, food, etc. is very hard for many to deal with and balance.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply