cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A belated holiday present from USPS -- ANOTHER POSTAL INCREASE!!!

Just read that USPS has proposed another postal increase for January 2024:  First Class stamps to be raised another 2 cents, but Ground Advantage and Priority may not be changed.

I haven't heard anything definite about USPS Media yet, or other services.

And, of course, all these proposals need to be approved by Congress -- not exactly the most dependable source for sound judgments lately.

The announcement was made on Friday October 6 -- right before a USPS holiday weekend -- so nothing can be confirmed until Tuesday October 10.

So don't say that USPS never gives you anything for Christmas (other than ulcers, headaches, crying jags, nervous breakdowns, etc, etc, etc).

Happy Holidays!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

We have had rate increased from USPS in January for years.  It would be WONDERFUL news for me if Ground Advantage and Media mail didn't have an increase.

The proposed rates have a little increase in a couple of the Media mail rates and a don't see any increases in Ground Advantage.  For me that is great news.

Here is a link to the details.

https://pe.usps.com/PriceChange

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

@1786davycrockett ,

Sorry to inform you that postal rate increases are not approved or rubber stamped by congress.

The PRC approves or denies postal rate increase requests by the USPS.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@theteamsetguy 

I stand corrected.  Thank you.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

This announcement was just for "market dominant products", which is why you're seeing changes to Media Mail but not Priority or Ground Advantage, which are considered "competitive" products.

It's not uncommon for there to be some time between those announcements, for example when they raised rates in July, this year USPS released the market dominant rates in April and the competitive rates in May...so unfortunately I wouldn't recommend breathing a sigh of relief on Priority and Ground Advantage just yet.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

USPS (along with FedEx, UPS and any other carrier) revise prices every year, infact, there will be rate increase prior to January 2024 for holiday season, then the yearly rate adjustments are made in January usually. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

USPS (along with FedEx, UPS and any other carrier) revise prices every year, infact, there will be rate increase prior to January 2024 for holiday season, then the yearly rate adjustments are made in January usually. 

@nuclearomen UPS and FedEx are both instituting their usual holiday "peak" surcharges but USPS has said there will be no holiday surcharge this year.

So at least where USPS is concerned, it's my understanding we should not be seeing any changes until January.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

UPS and FedEx are both instituting their usual holiday "peak" surcharges but USPS has said there will be no holiday surcharge this year.

I noticed lately the post office is nowhere as busy as they normally are. I just don't see shipping this year to be normal at all. On the bright side: I really hope im wrong !!!!

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@nuclearomen UPS and FedEx are both instituting their usual holiday "peak" surcharges but USPS has said there will be no holiday surcharge this year.

So at least where USPS is concerned, it's my understanding we should not be seeing any changes until January.

idk I don't read their newsletters anymore. My prices are made out to reflect and cover expected increases to shipping costs for the year ($0.15) just as once a year they are adjusted for the cost of shipping supplies (boxes, bubble wrap, cardboard). 

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I like "surprise" presents.  This being the norm for January for many years I am not as elated as I would be if it were an "out of the blue" present like the "no October thru whenever" surcharge for this season. If all goes well, I will buy a gallon of gas, or heating oil with the savings 😊

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

idk I don't read their newsletters anymore. My prices are made out to reflect and cover expected increases to shipping costs for the year ($0.15) just as once a year they are adjusted for the cost of shipping supplies (boxes, bubble wrap, cardboard). 

@nuclearomen 

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/us-postal-service-ready-to-deliver-for-america-during-the-h...

No Holiday Surcharges

The Postal Service also announced it will not levy any additional surcharges for customers this holiday season, offering increased predictability in pricing for customers. There will be no additional fees for residential area delivery, for Saturday delivery or for minimum volumes. USPS will continue to be the most affordable way to mail and ship this holiday season.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

I like "surprise" presents.  This being the norm for January for many years I am not as elated as I would be if it were an "out of the blue" present like the "no October thru whenever" surcharge for this season. If all goes well, I will buy a gallon of gas, or heating oil with the savings 😊

@buyselljack2016 a real "present" would be no charge shipping for holiday season - but we all know that would never happen - let's just hope on-time shipping occurs.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@nuclearomen 

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/us-postal-service-ready-to-deliver-for-america-during-the-h...

No Holiday Surcharges

The Postal Service also announced it will not levy any additional surcharges for customers this holiday season, offering increased predictability in pricing for customers. There will be no additional fees for residential area delivery, for Saturday delivery or for minimum volumes. USPS will continue to be the most affordable way to mail and ship this holiday season.

@valueaddedresource thanks - but really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. The buyer pays the shipping costs, not me, well, I pay it as I don't charge shipping, but it's included in the total price. 

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 a real "present" would be no charge shipping for holiday season - but we all know that would never happen - let's just hope on-time shipping occurs.

Well of course not!  The postal workers have every right to be paid as does anyone else for services rendered.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Well of course not!  The postal workers have every right to be paid as does anyone else for services rendered.  

missed the joke intended and focused on the part that wasn't serious.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply