cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A NIGHTMARE STORY.

Hello just want to hear from others. i feel like a fool. i got played .and lost  So this my little nightmare story .

Sold a Lalique bottle from my Lalique collection. Lady found a imperfection on the base.asked for refund immediately without me getting the item first and going to the proper chanel return and refund.. i check her ebay fb and i trust her she will return it after her vacation. she was furious  and upset. used her husband illness to get me. i wanted to avoid the neg. fb. i gave her full refund. in the moment i refund her ebay closed the issue assuming i got the bottle first. i didnt,.Time pass .ask lady when she was returning the bottle. she assumed she could keep it. i said i never told you to keep it. sent a priority mail label.  she never answer after a month i started sending a message daily asking for her to return my bottle.  She used her husband illness again accusing me of arras sing her and accused me of being a fraud . and that she was not returning the bottle. she gave it away to goodwill.Very cocky ,.I try to left a fb saying she kept the bottle and got full refund. ebay removed it. Paypal sent her a invoice but they told me a made a mistake and have to pay for it. no refund till item is back. 

i got hurt because i trust her. i will never believe someone from her position will just justify herself and keep the bottle. i called ebay again and they say sorry go to the police ppal say the same since she kept the bottle and got full refund.

ebay and paypal said couldnt do anything about it. i should go to the police and file a report.  

this issue cause so much stress and a feeling of being robbed and stabbed. Helpless.i cried over it. im going to move on. im going to block her. 

i Dont have it on me to hire a lawyer go to police etc .i made a mistake.i lost.

your thoughts.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: A NIGHTMARE STORY.

Very very sorry your trust was taken advantage of.

In this business, you must look out for your own interests. Ebay will not look after them, so you must. Selling online is a tough profession at times.

What the other poster said is true. When a buyer claims there is a problem with the item, you always respond: "Sorry you are unhappy with your item. Please return for a full refund." Just that and nothing else.

Negative feedback is something that can be dealt with much easier than losing your item and funds. Never be afraid of someone leaving a negative. You can come to the boards to get help on how to respond to bad feedback, and advice on possibly getting it removed. And sellers cannot warn other sellers of a scheming buyer by leaving the information in a buyer's feedback. That is against the rules. A buyer can only receive positive feedback from a seller, or no feedback. 

As far as going to the police, since you willingly refunded her before getting your item back, there is nothing really they can do for you. What you can do is take them to small claims court if you want to pursue the matter further.

So sorry you had to learn this lesson this way. I know it must sting something fierce. You are not alone, this happens to others too, and you are helping fellow eBayers who will learn from your mistake because you shared it here. Your misfortune will save someone else from falling prey to the same scam. Thank you for sharing that.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

I'm sorry to hear that you had to learn this lesson the hard way. You NEVER issue a refund before you get your merchandise returned to you. That's just the way business goes.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

I'm so sorry, you were conned. You won't do that again. Ebay won't even contact the "buyer" and tell her to return the bottle to you unfortunately. If ebay was an up and on the level company they would do that for you, but they won't. 

The correct response to any claim that the buyer makes that they aren't happy with an item is "you may return the item and then be refunded." That is it, nothing more, no back and forth, no stories about fake sickness or anything else. Just "return for refund" and never refund until you have your item back. 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Make a claim that you're on a perfume bottle board and you'll make sure others hear about this, and she had better return your bottle or....Sometimes you have to come on strong.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

In this business, you must look out for your own interests. Ebay will not look after them, so you must. Selling online is a tough profession at times.

What the other poster said is true. When a buyer claims there is a problem with the item, you always respond: "Sorry you are unhappy with your item. Please return for a full refund." Just that and nothing else.

Negative feedback is something that can be dealt with much easier than losing your item and funds. Never be afraid of someone leaving a negative. You can come to the boards to get help on how to respond to bad feedback, and advice on possibly getting it removed. And sellers cannot warn other sellers of a scheming buyer by leaving the information in a buyer's feedback. That is against the rules. A buyer can only receive positive feedback from a seller, or no feedback. 

As far as going to the police, since you willingly refunded her before getting your item back, there is nothing really they can do for you. What you can do is take them to small claims court if you want to pursue the matter further.

So sorry you had to learn this lesson this way. I know it must sting something fierce. You are not alone, this happens to others too, and you are helping fellow eBayers who will learn from your mistake because you shared it here. Your misfortune will save someone else from falling prey to the same scam. Thank you for sharing that.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

i wanted to avoid the neg. fb. i gave her full refund. 

That ended the issue. You refunded, story over.   Nobody can make the buyer return the item now.  Hope this was NOT an expensive lesson on how ebay works. 

When you get "messages" from the buyer complaining, ranting, etc.  ALWAYS respond with "sorry you are not happy with your purchase, please return for refund".  

You do not have to assist the buyer in filing for a return.  Chances are, if they played this game before, they CAN'T file an ebay MBG claim and are just "shaking your tree" to see if you live in fear of a "red donut" in your feedback. Apparently you do, but I hope you are over it. 

Red donuts no longer count for squat for your seller rating or visibility issues.  Don't live in fear of this nonsense. 

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Never, ever fear the neg.

Protect yourself FIRST.

You voluntarily refunded without a return, there is nothing more to be done as far as Ebay and Paypal are concerned. Your buyer strong-armed you, yes and it was immoral and wrong, but you did have a choice to insist on a return before a refund. You chose not to.

You won't make the same mistake again.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

That Lalique bottle was beautiful! So sorry you lost it. Make sure to put her on your block buyer list and report her ID to Ebay.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

cka197818.
Thank you for you comment.A very hard lesson well learned.
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

ersatz_sobriquet,
Thank you for your comment. and yes i will never forget it. Learned lesson.
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

@fashunu4eeuh Thank you for your comment . you just hit the perfect spots the way i feel.

Sting so very bad that hurts. i do understand i made a mistake not waiting first for the return of my bottle.This lady doesnt need it my small collection is not even a shadow of hers. why will keep it if it was damaged? im still in disbelief specially the way she used her husband illness to just get away with it .is no excuse i should know better.i lost the bottle thats material stuff comes and goes. i will move on and it will pass. but my gosh how it hurts now ! Again Thank you.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Hello ersat_sobriequet,thank you for your comment,im in a few perfume collectors clubs .I already share this little story. they mostly in disbelief i fall for it.
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

i wanted to avoid the neg. fb. i gave her full refund. 

That ended the issue. You refunded, story over.   Nobody can make the buyer return the item now.  Hope this was NOT an expensive lesson on how ebay works. 

When you get "messages" from the buyer complaining, ranting, etc.  ALWAYS respond with "sorry you are not happy with your purchase, please return for refund".  

You do not have to assist the buyer in filing for a return.  Chances are, if they played this game before, they CAN'T file an ebay MBG claim and are just "shaking your tree" to see if you live in fear of a "red donut" in your feedback. Apparently you do, but I hope you are over it. 

Red donuts no longer count for squat for your seller rating or visibility issues.  Don't live in fear of this nonsense. 

ittybitnot,thank you very much for your comment i appreciate it.  .This is a very hard lesson for me  to learn. Not only because i didnt respect the rules of return and refund to protect myself but because i fell for it. and it hurts very badly, i believed her,i trust her i never doubt it she will return it just because who she is.as a seller and as a collector. i will never understand it.and  what hurts the most her way she used her husband illness.  the way i believe her and fell for it, sure will sting for long time. 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Never, ever fear the neg.
Protect yourself FIRST

You voluntarily refunded without a return, there is nothing more to be done as far as Ebay and Paypal are concerned. Your buyer strong-armed you, yes and it was immoral and wrong, but you did have a choice to insist on a return before a refund. You chose not to.
You won't make the same mistake again.

southern*sweet*tea: Thank you for your advice .Is a lesson i will never forget.
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

mvis1. Thank you for your comment.  

Yes i already did. thats basically the only thing I could do,made a ebay report and block her. I made a novice mistake and i paid for it. The lose of my Lalique bottle hurts cause im not a big collector,i have a small collection that i acquired with hard work little by little and now im getting ready to slowly part away.  I never in my wild dreams i will thought i will be scammed from a fellow High end bottle collector,ipba member etc. im still stunned. Learn and live. 

Message 15 of 22
latest reply