cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Little Advise on Fees Please

Hi Everyone 

I would like some input regarding profitability and eBay / paypal fees

If I buy a clothing widget for 1.00 and sell it for 10.00 and offer free shipping and my actual shipping cost is 5.00. My eBay fee shoudl be about 1.50 is that correct ? and my paypal fee would be about .50 right ? 

Total fees 2.00 + item cost 1.00  total cost not including expenses such as gas etc.  3.00 

net profit 7.00  Does that sound about right ? 

However according to my eBay report my fees are running about 16% and I was just wondering how that is possible ?   Perhaps because i am listing more than 50 listing a month and therefore I am paying the .34  on several listings a month ? 

Can you think of any other reason before I I do a full analysis on  the huge amount of about 400.00 ? 

Also, there used to be a calculator regarding if I shoud open a store, based on number of listings etc.  That seems to have disappeared but there is another blurb saying that unless you are listing 250 items a month a store is not profitable.  This makes no sense to me.  If I list 150 listings and get 50 free then I pay .34 cents for 100 or 34.00 which is 10.00 more than a basic store.  Plus I would get a deal on my final value fees.  So I am confused.  To me it makes sense to open a store ? Opinions ? 

Thanks in advance for all your help 

I love the community 🙂 

Shirley 

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: A Little Advise on Fees Please

@chrysylyswrote 

Buyers pay for shipping, not sellers.  Even on listings with shipping included.  The term free shipping needs to be abolished.

Your total cost of selling things here includes insertion, listing upgrade, final value and PP fees.

Your net profit may be affected by other things such as item acquistion, packing supplies, shipping, etc.

Of course buyers ultimately pay for shipping. We know that. Buyers also pay my fees to ebay and absolutely everything else EXCEPT my cost of acquiring an item to sell. I make my money when I BUY, not when I sell.

For sellers who offer free shipping, the bookeeping requires us to list those as expenses deducted from income. In this case, shipping IS a cost of selling.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 25 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Ebay charges 14% in fees if you are below standard.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

The store has worked out well for us.   If your trying to move a lot it should work out ok.  Always try to list as much as can when you get free listings.  Best regards

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

It is true that a store may not be profitable if the volume of business you do does not warrant it.  It would make no sense to open a store if your profit will cover your fees and that is it.  It also does not increase your limits.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

If you are offering free shipping, those shipping costs are an expense to you. That 16% fees stated by ebay does not include expenses incurred by offering free shipping.

By your numbers, $1 item cost, $2 ebay and Paypal fees, $5 shipping costs will net you $2 in profit. That's 20% of your $10 sale. My profit is a bit higher than that, usually 35-40% on average. Some items way more, some items way less.

Another way to look at it that you've made $2 on a $1 item, so you've doubled your money. Before taxes of course...lol...I've got to make 5x my initial investment to even consider buying an item. I bust on that goal sometimes, but I never LOSE money if a sale sticks.

I have a basic store and have never completely used my 250 listings. The most I've ever had at one time is about 150.

I also offer free shipping, and I have to include those costs into my profit calculations to get useful numbers. I use Salecalc.com to help me set my prices and figure costs.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Additional thoughts-

If you have a basic store, you get a coupon worth $25/quarter year to spend on shipping supplies at the ebay shipping supply store. There's lots of stuff available for clothing sellers, not so much for sellers of other goods like me.

It does help offset the cost of the store, but that's not included in the percentage number that ebay gives you either. Neither are any other incidental expenses you may incur, like donuts, salty snacks, and Starbucks on the way to the PO.

I glance at the number from ebay on my monthly invoices, but always do my own math. It's the only way to be sure.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

MAGS...From what Castle saidd---your high fees indicate that your performance is BELOW STANDARD!   if so,  your Account may  be in trouble.  You need right now to clickon   Performance Standards. Are you  getting Defects  for late   Delivery--or Out of Stock issues?   If  so,you really need to fix these problems  first! Smiley Surprised

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

I am above standard 🙂 

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

A basic store sub gives you 250 BIN free listings and 250 auction style free listings.  It's much more economical then 34$ for 100 listings.  When you list less than 200 and sell less than 50 in a month though, that store subscription charge is a larger percentage because it's a flat rate.  My total fees are 25% including everything but the shipping materials I don't get with credits and the original price of the product.  I don't usually pay for insertion fees ever. 

If I was to sell only 25 items in a month my fees would be much higher since i paid for the store sub regardless. 

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

=Thanks that helps 🙂
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

am above standard and on my way to top rated actually.  It says if evaluated today I would be Top Rated 🙂 

I

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Thank you ...That helps 🙂
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Agreed. $1.50 in ebay FVF on a $10 free shipping sale would indicate Below Standard status.

I missed that detail in my earlier posts.

What does your seller dashboard look like? Check that ASAP!
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Neither are any other incidental expenses you may incur, like donuts, salty snacks, and Starbucks on the way to the PO.Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@garmentvarmint2004wrote:

MAGS...From what Castle saidd---your high fees indicate that your performance is BELOW STANDARD!   if so,  your Account may  be in trouble.  You need right now to clickon   Performance Standards. Are you  getting Defects  for late   Delivery--or Out of Stock issues?   If  so,you really need to fix these problems  first! Smiley Surprised

Thanks, garmentvarmint.  I should have expanded on that, thank you for doing so.

And OP, it is of the utmost importance, as garmentvarmint says, to get your issue with your standing fixed FIRST!  That should be your primary concern now, with all due respect, you have to get out of the below standard designation, if you are in it.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply