cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 days not scanned should be 10

I wish eBay would change the rules and allow the USPS to go 10 days without a scan before there is a problem.

One week is just too short.  In my experience of just one year shipping USPS exclusively, one week is too short if you have a buyer who opens a case immediately.  The only problems I have really encountered were because of taking action too soon and the package eventually arrives 

Out of about 1000 packages, I've only had 1 package being reported as not received but marked as delivered, 1 package returned to me damaged instead of recipient, and 1 package truly lost in the mail system.

The other many problems were because of slow scans and impatient customers and the short timeframe that is involved sometimes.

Just my two cents

Make it 10 days instead of a week

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

What rule?  Been selling here since 96 & IDK what you mean?  eBay cannot allow or disallow USPS to do anything.   Make what 10 days instead of a week?  

You should always be getting your own Acceptance Scan & then you're covered from a buyer saying you didn't ship it.   

But hopefully, you can clarify, as I don't know anything about any 1 week rule in regards to scans.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

10 days without an origin scan is probably a seller problem. Dropoff, labeling or packaging. (If you are not using ESE).

There a plenty of sellers using USPS and seeing their items delivered on time.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I don't think that you are referring to acceptance scans.   Are you referring to when an INR has been opened and ebay will put the request on hold if there has been a recent carrier scan?  Actually I thought that it was 10 days but I've never been in that situation. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Am I the only eBay shopper who does not follow my package at every step in the delivery system?

When I make a purchase, I check the EDD before the purchase to make sure it will work out ok for me.

Then I sit back and wait.  I might check tracking if that date arrives and I don't have my package, but I usually give it a few more days, given the current issues with the USPS.

When it's perhaps 5-6 days late and no evidence of movement, I may contact the seller or I may open an INR case.  Either is acceptable per eBay.  

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

qeqo_0
Thrill-Seeker

@retrogames10000 wrote:

One week is just too short. 

In my experience of just one year shipping USPS exclusively, one week is too short if you have a buyer who opens a case immediately.  The only problems I have really encountered were because of taking action too soon and the package eventually arrives 

Previously, @simply-the-best-for-you 

trinton@ebay wrote:

Hi @theotherwind, generally we consider an item to be lost if there have been no updates to the tracking for more than 7 days with domestic transactions and more than 10 days for international transactions.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@qeqo_0 wrote:

@retrogames10000 wrote:

One week is just too short. 

In my experience of just one year shipping USPS exclusively, one week is too short if you have a buyer who opens a case immediately.  The only problems I have really encountered were because of taking action too soon and the package eventually arrives 

Previously, @simply-the-best-for-you 

trinton@ebay wrote:

Hi @theotherwind, generally we consider an item to be lost if there have been no updates to the tracking for more than 7 days with domestic transactions and more than 10 days for international transactions.

@qeqo_0  Trinton has not been around for a long time, that info is likely not current anymore.  But, you're still not explaining, lost for what?   The USPS doesn't consider an item lost for much longer than that.  I think it's 30 days, but I haven't had to check for awhile & I believe that was for FC.  

What exactly is the situation that you're referring to?   It's still unclear under what circumstances you feel this supposed 'rule' applies. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

qeqo_0
Thrill-Seeker

You're probably right: Trinitron must have fabricated that 7/10-day rule, and it exited with they.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you 

If the rule is still in effect, it refers to eBay putting a domestic inr request on hold if there has been a carrier scan within the last 7 days.  I have a feeling that if they do that, it isn't automatic and that you have to ask them to do put the request on hold.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If the rule is still in effect, it refers to eBay putting a domestic inr request on hold if there has been a carrier scan within the last 7 days.  I have a feeling that if they do that, it isn't automatic and that you have to ask them to do put the request on hold.

No, it is automatic unless they have changed that. You simply need to upload the tracking to the case and if there has been any sort of tracking scan within the past 7 days, the INR will automatically be extended.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005  @yuzuha  Thanks for clarifying.  Still completely unclear what OP is talking about, but what you guys are suggesting is certainly plausible.  

I almost never get INR's, as 99% of my pkgs arrive in 2-3 days, so it's not a 'rule' that I've ever had to deal with.  

OP has still not answered what they're problem actually is or what type of shipping they use.   That would be important info, as it's highly unusual to have regular occurences of no scans or no scans for a week. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

OP has still not answered what they're problem actually is or what type of shipping they use.   That would be important info, as it's highly unusual to have regular occurences of no scans or no scans for a week. 

I agree, and I too use USPS exclusively. I can't even remember the last time I had a package go that long without a single scan. I shipped something to Puerto Rico last month and even that arrived within three days.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Yes, I am referring to when the package has been dropped off to the post office and receives an acceptance scan, and then sometimes packages don't get scanned for more than a week or two, and then eventually are delivered.

Yes, it is my understanding that a customer can push for a refund after exactly one week of no scans if it is after the expected delivery date.

I do have customers who complain about USPS tracking information and I have also had to refund a few times because USPS did not scan for a week and then did deliver.  

I think it happens enough to suggest extending the rule to allow the USPS more time to scan because you cannot even complain to the USPS for over a week after shipping which often is about the time customers are complaining to eBay 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply