cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$600 dollar new law

Today I have taken everything offline and no longer will be selling on eBay. With the threshold dropping from $20,000 and 200 transactions to $600 annually is truly a way for our government to tax an average person who just sells things they don't need. I pay tax's when I buy a phone, I pay tax's to use my phone, I pay tax's to sell my old phone. As an American paying tax's is a must but to what extent does the government tax everything we make even if it's a dollar? eBay will and other third party seller's will suffer, mark my word. 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: $600 dollar new law

It's on the IRS website- I has NOT been replaced- please link the updated file/doc showing different.

"April 15 is the deadline for most Americans to file their Federal individual income tax returns. Passed by Congress on July 2, 1909, and ratified February 3, 1913"

Hmmm- is that outdated too???

Bottom like-1099K will affect the average joe on so many levels...even teenage babysitters/dog walkers  will be taxed.  Cash will become king again...

https://news.bloombergtax.com/tax-insights-and-commentary/new-form-1099-reporting-coming-in-2022?fbc... 

What has changed-A New Law-tons of paperwork...

"under the new law, these property owners and gig workers will now receive 2022 Forms 1099-K reporting their extra income in January 2023 if that income in 2022 exceeds $600.

These Forms 1099-K will not reflect the various deductible expenses associated with that “extra” income such as utilities and depreciation for homeowners, basis in property sold by sellers or the cost of mileage for delivery drivers, all of which must be factored in before any taxable income is determined. For example, a model train collector may have paid $5,000 for model train pieces over several years that they now sell for $8,000, and the marketplace that introduced the seller to the buyer and through which the sale took place may charge the seller a total fee of $800. It may cost the model train seller $200 in postage to send the pieces to its buyers. The Form 1099-K that the seller will receive from the TPSO will report $8,000 in gross proceeds paid. However, the seller’s taxable gain from that sale would only be $2,000. As a result, collectors and other online sellers will need to keep extensive records of their expenses going forward to avoid over-reporting of income and overpayment of tax.

Also, consider the alternative—a teenager who walks dogs to earn extra money. If their income in 2022 exceeds $600, their expenses may be limited to the fees charged by the website that connects them to pet owners, but they will owe income tax—and possibly self-employment tax—on the income they earn.

It is important to note that transactions for personal gifts, charitable contributions, and reimbursements are specifically excluded from Form 1099-K reporting. Most TPSOs will likely attempt to identify such transactions based on their user agreements, which generally specify whether the user will be using the website for personal or commercial transactions. So, while a pool maintenance company that receives payments for its services through a cash app may receive Forms 1099-K in the future, friends sending money to reimburse one of them for theater tickets purchased for a group should not. This is because the pool company should have a commercial agreement while the friends should use personal agreements when signing up for the app."

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@richard454 

True, the new reporting laws will scoop up babysitters and dog walkers…. but, hey, I declared working at the YMCA candy counter after school back in the mid 70s.

A feeling of sympathy is normal enough, but there’s just no “young people exemption.”

The same holds for many other small entrepreneurs as well.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

no different than if you purchased it in 2019, and sold it in 2020.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

This is actually my 600th reply on such threads and I still continue to find it amazing the irs cheerleaders inexplicably have outdone the ebay cheerleaders by suggesting there is nothing problematic with these changes.  Yes, it's true,  it's not a new tax law but it is a back door one.  Moe Howard look-a-likes like janet yellen(for more money because her monetery policy has failed)know **bleep** well most online sellers of stuff around their house do not have sales receipts for all the things they sell. This bowl cut wonder only to be barely outdone by the owner of the Las Vegas Raiders knows most people sell for a loss even if they're trying to make a profit. So much can go wrong with selling and let's not all get high and mighty and act like everyone even has the slightest idea what they're doing.  They don't.  I run into people all the time either directly or through indirect story where they would rather sell their stuff for pennies on the dollar rather than to try and figure out this nonsense.  A CPA alone is going to be a couple hundred an hour and they won't be able to work any magic for you save for the slight of hand into your pocket(assuming they don't shoo you away). My biggest problem with yelling yellen is her and her ilk thing inflation is a myth. What the hell is she smoking?  Does she not go shopping?  Or does she only drink blood?  Fact is the dollar is much weaker today than it was a few weeks ago and even weaker than it was the year and years before.  The dolar has been in rapid decline for more than a half a century.  Nothing backs the dollar save for it being the world's reserve currency which is expensively sustained by the military industrial complex.  So if someone sells an item from 1969 for $100 that they paid a couple bucks for inflation should be factored in.  It's apple to oranges.  The dollars are not compatible with one another.  If anyone should be taxed and taxed heavily, it should be government who shut the country down and created this mess.  Tax the chinese, they invent the virus in that lab.  Place a  massive tariff on chinese goods.  Reduce tax to 0% on US manufacturers of essential goods(clothes,  shoes water and food). 

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

True, the new reporting laws will scoop up babysitters and dog walkers…. but, hey, I declared working at the YMCA candy counter after school back in the mid 70s.

A feeling of sympathy is normal enough, but there’s just no “young people exemption.”

And it's not like it's new, either. I had my first "real job" when I was 17. They sent me a W2 form so I filed my taxes even though I was still a dependent.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

You mean like Obama said- "we won't be taxing grandma for selling beanie babies on the internet."

It will affect a LOT of people- young -old and in-between.

What about Dad who gets a bunch of T-Shirts for the team- all the parents reimburse him via zelle or venmo- now he has to prove he's not earning money. Or when mom buys the snacks at costco for the team- now she has a 1099-k showing up the end of January.

I'm a member of a group- I often do a group purchase for things- make no money (maybe round it to the nearest dollar!!!)- yet now I will have the members reimburse me in cash. Am I cheating the system? No- I'm trying to avoid any hassles. I have enough on my plate rather than dealing with it.

The old saying "locks only keep honest people honest"- is basically what is happening- unfortunately I'll have a box of keys and now have to figure out which locks they fit.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Since the requirement to report one's income is not a new law but has existed since the Income Tax was levied, I find it strange that so many people are willing to give up a portion of their livelihood because payment processors are required to issue 1099k's for a lower amount than they were required to do in the past.  The requirement for reporting one's total income has not changed.  However, if you feel that the government making it harder for people to get away with not accurately reporting their income is worth giving up whatever income you made from your eBay endeavors, that is totally your prerogative.     

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 22 of 24
latest reply

I do have one question for the folks who keep pointing out NOTHINGS CHANGED

THEN WHY DID THEY MAKE A CHANGE?  Just wasting time? WHY MAKE IT LAW? just to upset folks?

YET NOTHING CHANGED? As long as they can convince folks nothings has changed they can always slip in a little more, Something is fishy here! We can expect more changes

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This topic has been closed at the request of the OP.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply