cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd party authentication in the OLD COMIC BOOK Category

After a couple of successful responses to a recent posting regarding musical instruments, I thought I would like to ask the question what folks thought of the 3rd party authentication services available in the golden age comic book category. I had called ebay and asked about this and they said they have the technology through their 3rd party grading services to determine if an old comic was authentic or not. Just wondering because I would think one would have to smell the old paper and ink to know this for certain. They have technology that can "smell"?  

Another thing I would like ask is..... who's to authenticate the authentication? (certainly, it would be just as easy to fake a "slab" with a label than it would be to photocopy a comic no?) I guess if you can't read the serial #'s on the slab and verify them with the company who slabbed the book then you shouldn't buy it? What if a person removes the book from the slab and puts a fake one in a fake slab but uses the same label? This all seems crazy to me. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts! I certainly don't want to give the scrupulous minded any ideas but.... I'm curious because once you pull a book from it's slab, it's no longer authenticated! Certainly, not too many people are thinking of having slabbed books authenticated because supposedly, they already are.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

3rd party authentication in the OLD COMIC BOOK Category

Pffft. The logarithmic price increase in key golden age books means there are more pressers, fillers and restorers than authenticators.

I wouldn't trust a slabbed book unless it had been submitted more than once. 

Message 2 of 2
latest reply