cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Million in New England W/O power for 2 days- Will Ebay help us out on late shipping?

3 Million in New England had no power for 2 days due to a gale. We couldn't even get power at local libraries to print shipping labels or get in post offices

Will Ebay cover us for late packages?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

3 Million in New England W/O power for 2 days- Will Ebay help us out on late shipping?

Any time you have a storm warning, such as this one, take down your listings.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Sorry but not only is that silly LOL but not anything that is recommended by Ebay in any shape or form

Ebay has stated in the past that sellers affected by extreme adverse weather will be supported, and I wanted to know if that is still their policy

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

themagicmountain wrote: ... Ebay has stated in the past that sellers affected by extreme adverse weather will be supported, and I wanted to know if that is still their policy

Theoretically, yes.  But it's SO much less hassle and stress to just put the Store on vacation for a few days just in case. Or revise your handling time to give yourself some flexibility.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@themagicmountain wrote:

Sorry but not only is that silly LOL but not anything that is recommended by Ebay in any shape or form

Ebay has stated in the past that sellers affected by extreme adverse weather will be supported, and I wanted to know if that is still their policy

I am in RI.  And I have to say this storm snuck up on us.

I do remove listings when a storm is coming, but I missed this one entirely.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@themagicmountain wrote:

Sorry but not only is that silly LOL but not anything that is recommended by Ebay in any shape or form...

Actually, that's EXACTLY what eBay suggests:

"If you are able to, there are a few things you can do now to help protect your business:

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@themagicmountain wrote:

It's common sense and proactively protecting your business.  Vacation mode is a major benefit of having a store.

Sellers who don't have a store - or who have a store but also run auction listings - can extend their handling time.

Even when eBay does make a concession for weather, there are eBay sellers whose defects won't be removed - or it will take a lot of time for the seller to get them removed.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@themagicmountain wrote:

IMO, what is silly is relying on eBay recommendations (or lack thereof) for your decisions.  eBay recommendations are what is best for eBay, not what is necessarily best for any given seller.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

That would not possibly work. Many storms are worse than forecast. Some peole would never be able to list lol

Ebay stated in the past their policy of su pporting sellers in areas where large numbers are hit with adverse weather. Does anyone remember that

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Thank you for your comment. Removing listings is im possible as many storms end u p being worse rthan forecast. Many people would never be able to list ever lol.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

That is not what Ebay has stated in the past. They went on record as saying they would support sellers in areas hit by adverse weather conditions that affected many.

As far as taking listings down or vacation mode, that of course makes no sense at all lol since many storms are worse than was forecast, and some are never forecast. Surely that is apparent.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Except that there is a common sense flaw to that logic. Many storms are far worse than forecast or never forecast at all.

Ebay has gone on record in the past as stating they will support sellers in areas hard hit by adverse weather that affects many.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I live in the affected area. I've been selling on eBay since 1999 and find it necessary to adjust my selling to accommodate the weather forecast only 2 or 3 times per year. A bit of handling-time revision, or even a couple of days of Store vacation, is not a big deal.   I would never rely on eBay's policies about "forgiveness" or removing late-shipping defects.  This storm, like most hurricanes, behaved pretty much as forecast.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

No, it did not behave as forecast for many, and many storms are miscast or not forecast all all.

but the question was about Ebays  pecifically stated  policy a while back

Message 15 of 19
latest reply