cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20% Fees? A discouraging number.

My new rant and ready for the scolding from the usual know it all seller.😁
I used to participate in these forums a lot but since I deal with media in a wholesale way (out there) I barely have time to list items and nonetheless come to this place to find out about the bad news, because with Ebay there's nothing good to see from but increases on this and decreasing on that. 🤐

Besides finding out about the increment of $0.21 in the media rate, I just sold an item worth $459.99 and to my dismay, again, not following the news, or seller's performance I got a $92 fee which makes it a 20% fee, more or less. 

I am sure that paying this much puts the brakes on my future sales in great numbers. I was going to list a huge ********** CD collection that is in the range of $60,000 so not knowing the specifics, again, my fault, I won't be selling it on this platform but on the outside because not only I lose 20% (fees) of the value but I will be dealing with a higher tax bracket. 

You guys take care. 

latest reply
158 REPLIES 158

@escuintla wrote:

My new rant and ready for the scolding from the usual know it all seller.😁

Sadly, the "know it all seller" kind of ruined this thread for everyone else... as usual. 

I would come on these forums more but hate the condescending posts they seem to have on every thread I look at... and, they reported me for asking them not to jump on everyone.  Are they trolling?

How can we Mute another user from our feed?  The Mute option isn't selectable for me.

Kim
Message 151 of 159
latest reply

Well, it wasn't my intention it insult anyone, and I apologize if I did.

Message 152 of 159
latest reply

You do know that the fee structure isn’t straight forward. It’s impossible to know exactly what your fees will be, especially if using promoted listings. You have to calculate AFTER the sale to see how bad eBay took you to the cleaners! 

Message 153 of 159
latest reply

When you factor ad fees for promoted listings, total fees can easily exceed 20%. 

Message 154 of 159
latest reply

Wouldn’t cost much to start one babe! 

Message 155 of 159
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Well, it wasn't my intention it insult anyone, and I apologize if I did.

Typically when you call a group of people liars, it is insulting.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 156 of 159
latest reply

@johnson_junk_company wrote:

You do know that the fee structure isn’t straight forward. It’s impossible to know exactly what your fees will be, especially if using promoted listings. You have to calculate AFTER the sale to see how bad eBay took you to the cleaners! 

What?

Each seller should know what their FVF set for by Ebay is for each category they sell in.  If they question it, all they need to do is look at the policy on Seller Fees.

And since sellers set the fee percentage they are willing to pay when using Promoted Listings I don't think it is a leap that they should know what it is.  This is an optional fee that each seller can decide for themselves if they want to do it and if they do, then the seller sets the additional fee percentage they are willing to pay.

So sellers should know, if they want to, what the percentage of fees that will be charged on a sale.

Message 157 of 159
latest reply

@johnson_junk_company wrote:

When you factor ad fees for promoted listings, total fees can easily exceed 20%. 

Yes it can with Ebay set FVF % plus the fee percentage the seller CHOOSE to have added to the sale to use Promoted listings.  That is the Ebay set fee + the seller set fee.

Message 158 of 159
latest reply

The final value fee is calculated on the item price, the shipping cost and the state sales tax, if applicable.

Those fees are mandatory and required.

The fee for promoting you item is an optional fee as in you chose to promote your item.  You are not required to promote your item.  

Message 159 of 159
latest reply