cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 pound 16x15x15 box.....best way to ship?

I have a BCD (scuba) to sell.   The box weights 12 lbs.  The shipping costs I see are atrocious.  Does anyone have suggestion on which is the best way to ship it?

44 REPLIES 44

Re: 12 pound 16x15x15 box.....best way to ship?

@partial*eclipsewrote:

@timemachine777wrote:... don't forget that it could go to HI. 

The OP lives in Virginia, so the cost to ship to HI would be the same as shipping to California.  Surely this high shipping cost, and the slowness of surface mail, would dissuade any potential buyers from either location.

It all depends on the total cost and condition vs the competition. Some of the Buoyancy Compensators are pretty pricey, so they could put half the shipping cost into the overall price. I've done that before on expensive items.

Message 31 of 45
latest reply

You are working for your money on this scuba vest!  

Message 32 of 45
latest reply

Once upon a time, way long back ago, Greyhound (yep the bus line) used to be a viable option for odd items.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 33 of 45
latest reply

Just to be clear, as I have only ever used USPS in past sales, I can select FED EX Ground and print a label, just as I do for the post office.  Correct?   I will then find a FED EX center (or drop off location what have you) and send it on it’s way?   I have another listing that is cheapest if I use Fed Ex (with Ebay online discount rates) and I believe what I have described is accurate, but would like clarification about using Fed Ex.  Thanks.  (I do not need to have them come to me and pick it up)

@currencyoftimewrote:

My method for calculating shipping costs is to choose a far away point and use that as the “worst case scenario” for shipping costs.   I don’t know how others do it,or even if this logic is flawed, but that is what I do.   As I am on the East coast, I choose California as my shipping point (90210 because, well it’s easy to remember lol).   Doing that, the shipping cost on this vest is 43.00.   UGH.   

That's funny.  We had a big store a few years back and started a dialogue with the USPS business division about our future shipping needs.  When discussing shipping estimates our rep gave (laughing) that exact suggestion for variable rate estimates saying "we all know the numbers from that one show." 

90210 is my worst case scenario too.  I rarely make big sales of my bigger items to such areas because of this but it's what any business-minded seller should do.  

Message 35 of 45
latest reply

I looked again (Fedex.com, FedEx Service Guide, documents on the FedEx FTP site, and spent 45 minutes on the phone with FedEx CS) and found no documentation for an increased FedEx Ground On-Call Pickup Charge ($3-5 depending if scheduled online and/or same day or future date).

I'm sure everyone knows how the FedEx call went - same as any other eBay, PayPal, etc call would go with script readers apologizing, not really understanding the simple question "Where is the documentation and rate table for higher rural Ground On-Call Pickup charges". An exercise in frustration (and they could tell I was struggling....)

I will try to call FedEx Billing Department this week if I remember.

@lja440 One of the FedEx CS raised a good point: was your $11.75 FedEx pickup charge a simple phone scheduled pickup for a self generated label Ground pickup, or was it for a return pickup for a return label issued by a company seller, or was it a Residential FedEx Ground Call Tag pickup (driver came out with the label and did the pickup)? Or was it an Express service and pickup? And when was it?
Message 36 of 45
latest reply

FedEx shipping through eBay labels is offered alongside USPS shipping on the label page. You can switch carriers using the "Carrier" dropdown.

ebay_FedEx_Ground_commercial_82lbs_SanDiego_mockup_annot.gif

If you set the listing up to offer FedEx shipping only it will default to that at checkout and on the label page. If you offer both USP and FedEx options, the buyer will choose at checkout and the label page will default to that choice.

In any case, you just make sure all the info is correct, print the label as per usual, tape it on the box (I cover all my labels completely with clear tape) or put in an clear stick on envelope (like the USPS customs pouch), and then drop it at a FedEx shipping center, a participating Walgreens, Albertsons, a box store that does FedEx, or give it to a FedEx Ground driver (catch him making a delivery somewhere or jump out at a stoplight 🙂

Just be aware that FedEx (and UPS) is unlike USPS. There CAN be after the fact added surcharges. If your buyer screws their address up or makes delivery difficult (not around to sign on sig conf multiple times, etc) there can be address correction surcharges, re-deliveru attemp surchrges (after 3 attempts), etc.

Another consideration: I personally NEVER use flat rate shipping for things like this - always calculated. Closer buyers pay less shipping (makes it a better total cost to them) and distant buyers pay more.

With FedEx (and UPS), because of unknowns (like the buyer's zipcode) before the sale when you set up the listing, if you use a flat rate shipping cost (not calculated), you can be bitten with a Delivery Area Surcharge (DAS) of $3.45 to $4.40 for FedEx Home Delivery  ($3.45 for rural, and $4.40 for BFE)

If calculated shipping they would be charged any applicable DAS at checkout, but if you go flat shipping charge, you eat it (for this particular item, the slim possibility of a rural buyer purchasing and costing you an extra piddly $4 probably isn't an issue, but can be for other low dollar items and might need to be factored into a flat shipping rate)

FedEx isn't a scary monster, but you do have to be more careful with accurate dimensions (dimensional weight), weights, shapes (log, cylindrical,....)  packaging types (not CC boxed, shrink wrapped, ...) in order to not be surprised after the fact (there are criteria, and things like Additional handling surcharges can apply).

Other than a couple of billing glitches through a FedEx account over  10 years ago, and one spurious eBay FedEx Smartpost upcharge 3 or 4 years ago (for magically tripling in weight but was credited), I have had zero issues with billing, damage or loss, and my invoiced amounts are always within pennies.

One thing I didn't mention was insurance. FedEx shipping comes with a default $100 of declared value (like ebay TRS/USPS PM Comm+), and more can be purchased at label generation time (same as USPS) if desired.

A 16"x15"x15" 12 pound corrugated box shipment is nowhere near any of the surcharge criteria, and pretty much no different than a USPS Priority Mail shipment (other than the DAS issue), but if you have any questions about packaging, shape, surcharges, ask.

Message 37 of 45
latest reply

@berserkerplanetwrote:
I looked again (Fedex.com, FedEx Service Guide, documents on the FedEx FTP site, and spent 45 minutes on the phone with FedEx CS) and found no documentation for an increased FedEx Ground On-Call Pickup Charge ($3-5 depending if scheduled online and/or same day or future date).

I'm sure everyone knows how the FedEx call went - same as any other eBay, PayPal, etc call would go with script readers apologizing, not really understanding the simple question "Where is the documentation and rate table for higher rural Ground On-Call Pickup charges". An exercise in frustration (and they could tell I was struggling....)

I will try to call FedEx Billing Department this week if I remember.

@lja440One of the FedEx CS raised a good point: was your $11.75 FedEx pickup charge a simple phone scheduled pickup for a self generated label Ground pickup, or was it for a return pickup for a return label issued by a company seller, or was it a Residential FedEx Ground Call Tag pickup (driver came out with the label and did the pickup)? Or was it an Express service and pickup? And when was it?

In this case it happened to be my laptop that was under warranty. The company shipped a special shipping box to me (which FedEx miss-delivered and I got over a week later). The instructions were to put the laptop in the box (really neat idea had like a sling in the middle to suspend it), place the pre-paid label over the first label and call FedEx for a pick-up. (it was FedEx Express I think, can't say 100%). FedEx stated that for my home the pick-up charge would be $10+tax ($11.45), payable in cash or money order.

I should also state that at the time I scheduled pick-up I left a memo that it would be on the chair beside the front door. For 4 days it sat there I took it in every night and put it out in the morning before work. When I called FedEx the driver claimed that no one came to the door to hand him the package for both days he knocked. IT WAS SITTING RIGHT THERE!!!!. I ended up taking the day off (costing me $$$). The guy pulled up and honked the horn, NEVER even attempted to get out of the truck.

Message 38 of 45
latest reply

Ok, that was either a Return pickup ($4) or an Express On-call Pickup ($4) or a Ground On-Call pickup ($4)

Both you and d-k_treasures are stating a $10 charge years ago (tax thing must be local to your state).

I can't find any documentation for charges over $4 for this anywhere, so will call FedEx Billing this week (if I remember).

Kind of want to put this one to bed.
Message 39 of 45
latest reply

@currencyoftimewrote:

My method for calculating shipping costs is to choose a far away point and use that as the “worst case scenario” for shipping costs.   I don’t know how others do it,or even if this logic is flawed, but that is what I do.   As I am on the East coast, I choose California as my shipping point (90210 because, well it’s easy to remember lol).   

Gen X people probably remember 90210 because of the TV show.  I use that one all the time, too 🙂

Here's one for the Baby Boomers who might have watched daytime game shows when they were home from school faking an upset stomach!  One of their big sponsors was the Spiegel Catalog and they were based in Chicago.  Their "60609" ZIP code will always be burned into my brain.

Message 40 of 45
latest reply

This is the kind of shipment that SmartPost used to be pretty good for:  pretty much unbreakable, on the heavy side, and not too expensive.

It's a shame they chased us away from SmartPost.  With FedEx changing to dim weight and eBay's gross incompetence with their label pricing programming, it's almost as if they planned it this way......hmmmm.

Message 41 of 45
latest reply

Good point. It would have shipped via Smartpost at the actual 12lbs prior to 1/22/18 for approx $14-$20

I don't think eBay had much to do with it - FedEx must have been losing money everywhere with it, and it's not like they aren't making up with it with us (and other shippers) shifting to using Ground/Home Delivery instead.

It does look like eBay either dropped the ball on negotiations or is just pocketing the money, but the Smartpost discounts off of published list rates went from about 5-20% last year to 3-4% this year.

And yes, when I checked yesterday, the eBay FedEx Smartpost label calculator is still using the incorrect 139 Dim Weight divisor and overcharging sellers up to approx 18% as a result.
Message 42 of 45
latest reply

I have not read all the replies, but best way would be FedEX Ground via Ebay shipping IF they have a commercial address you can ship to. Next best would be FedEx Home Delivery. Do not be tempted to use FedEx/UPS Smartpost, you will have an unhappy customer with the slow delivery.

Message 43 of 45
latest reply

i'll chime in, just to say....

"best" way is safest, so first be sure you pack it well with enough to protect the areas especially need protecting...and then weigh the box...so you have the real weaight to ship...

NOW yes it could go anywhere, and yes it will not be cheap.... YOU as a seller can offer free shipping, but must add to the price to cover all/most/some of shipping cost..that just wise business.

YOU can list the item, whith a shipping cost , say $45.. (or if you research and find another service...) then whatever the highest cost ..list it that way... IN DESCRIPTION-- say that shipping cost will be adjust once you know what the zip code will be..PLEASE send your zip code for a calculated shipping price to your address zip...   it will take a little effort but can then give a buyer a good cost and maybe you give them a discount...to try to get the sale....  FYI: the ebay calculator for shipping is known to have flaws..so just in case...I'd go high, with a note...

OR you figure the highest , say to HI and one to VA... cut it in half....you list that as a shipping price to all...you take a chance of losing a bit, but still with a good price on the item...maybe it will work out...

so what my point is: pack it /weigh it.... then compare with the choices you have...USPS?UPS?FEDEX?  and even LOCAL PICK UP.... 

fees will be based on what you list, and yes there maybe better and less confusing ways...but with a fair and good price, shipping reasonable, that's all you can do....I like to refund the over paid shipping..buyer are happy and feel you were honest... and if sold at a ggod price...everyne is happy...

and be sure to use tracking ..no matter what....

LAST for those who will be looking and buying this item, they will know that it is heavier and not easily shipped...so a shipping cost won't scare them, but the best price including the shipping is what they will be looking at... 

and i mean...give the description and detail a good attention..that what they will really be looking at AND COMPARING WITH OTHER...

so with that.... good luck..... 

Message 44 of 45
latest reply

Good point about Ground vs Home Delivery (I didn't mention it because it adds a whole nother layer of complexity, and on my most recent FedEx shipment to an actual commercial address, eBay charged buyer Res SC. May be another calculator bug )

Neither I as a seller or buyer, nor my buyers have ever had a problem with Smartpost delivery time, or a lost or damaged package. A few years ago I received feedbacks praising the delivery speed, and it was pretty good. More recently, I'm seeing no longer than 8 calender days coast to coast. Apparently YourMilageDoesVary.
Message 45 of 45
latest reply