cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-K Gross Does Not Match Total Sales Report

Trying to file my taxes for 2021.  I have my 1099-K form. I went into eBay to print out my Sales for 2021 data.

This is where I got my report:

Performance Tab

Choose Sales

Sales Date I chose "Last Year" which is Jan. 1 - Dec. 31, 2021

Choose "Generate Report"

This report is excellent for tax information.

TOTAL SALES

TAXES  COLLECTED BY EBAY AND MY ME

SELLING COSTS (INCLUDES A BREAKDOWN OF THESE)

NET SALES

My question is, why does my TOTAL SALES not match my 1099-K form?  It is off by $374.85. ??

Shouldn't they both match? 

Any help would be appreciated.  

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

when were the sales and when was the receipt of the moneys??? that creates one problem.

Such is all income from the time such as gross of sales minus taxes collected by ebay;

This may or may not include any credits eBay also gave out.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

1099 based on gross sales (purchase price + shipping income) total amount YOU received from the customer.     Sales Tax is NOT included in 1099 because that money went to EBAY.

When you are deducting your business expenses be sure to include ACTUAL "shipping costs"(amount you paid to print labels) because your gross amount includes shipping.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

If I am not mistaken....that report shows (in the first box)

| Sales | which include collected taxes (not in 1099-K) which you need to subtract from this Sales Number....THEN you need to add in any refunds or adjustments to this number because it reflects the total AFTER any refunds, etc....(where the 1099-K shows ALL the Sales BEFORE Refunds)

ebay-compare-2.jpg

that is why this number does not match your 1099-K top line....

If I am looking at the wrong report, I apologize....

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Using eBay's own reports of actual sales and adding in the amount received for shipping NEVER ads up to what is reported on the 1099-K for. No way, no how.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

MIne is off $800 and more! It makes no sense at all that they reported a higher amount.. So frustrating

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Man I wish some tax expert could come in here & give a better answer - I’ve been heating my head against this issue for years (I have a tax guy but he charges by the hour so I really try to bring him everything finished , you know?) best of my understanding is 1) gross sales figure on the sales page includes sales tax , which eBay collects not seller 2) its gross sales , not gross payments / money actually received, so you might get a payout on Jan 1-7 from sales the year before , or make sales at the end of the year , but not get the payout until next year. For this or many other reasons (returns, adjustments) that figure is wrong, not the reportable one, so you can’t just copy paste the shipping / fee figures (it is tempting tho isn’t it??!!)  — Download the detailed 1099k report next to where you get the 1099 itself , then it’s your job to figure out COGS & all other deductions (eBay fees, ad fees, shipping) for all those transactions. That way at least your reporting on the same stuff eBay is & it’ll match nicely.  only half way thru it but I went to payments, transactions, & D/L’ed a report for all of 2022 (there you can see just every payment / ad fee, whatever) & im reconciling it with the 1099 detailed sheet, adding in shipping / cost of item, and boom your good. Takes longer but , you know, I really don’t want to be audited. My gross sales is off by like 20 grand, that’s a noticeable amount to the IRS , I’m almost sure of it 😂😂Gross sales I think is just to give you an idea how you’re doing with margins & such , not reportable  ..

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply