cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 sale since GTC kicked in. What is going on?

I have had one sale since March 18th.  Something something is wrong somewhere.  When GTC kicked in I opened a EBay store so I wouldn't get caught with relisting fees and my sales had gotten to the point to where it wouldn't be costing me that much more because of the reduced FVF % for having a store and I also had the inventory I could list.  So I opened my store on the 19th or 20th, went from approx. 70 listings to 235 listings, and will be TRS my next evaluation.  Now I have less views and less watchers on 235 listings than I had when I had only 70 listings.  My # of sales for the last 60 days (which includes these last 2 weeks of only 1 sale) was 61 as of this morning.  Something is wrong somewhere.  My quality and pricing hasnt changed.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

A couple of things might factor in here as well as with other sellers is #1 most buyers do not like paying for shipping so they might find another seller offering free ship?  with that said the impending sales tax being collected along with shipping costs is going to drive customers to shop locally. #2 Are you aware the new income tax reform has caught quite a few people of guard  this tax season? They are not getting the return they are used to (for some hundreds less than last year). this issue causes allot less money being pumped back into the economy.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I looked at your store, and you have beautiful products, don't know what to tell you. Hope it picks back up for you soon.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

It will take a few listing cycles before you can make any claims that GTC had an effect on anything. Let's get that out of the way.

The answer is in your post, "When GTC kicked in I opened a EBay store." Opening or closing a store can have an immediate effect on your sales in the couple of weeks following.

Make some edits to your listings so they will re-index and see if that helps.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Correlation does not imply causation.
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Hello, 

Once you start a store. For some reason ebay pretty much starts you from zero as far as visibility goes.  It should last from 30-60 days.  I've upgraded my store 2 times and each time I had this lag happen.  Same thing happens with any search engine when you refresh your information or profile. There is a lag till the algorithm catches up.  

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I don't understand what you're telling me to do with "Make some edits to your listings so they will re-index and see if that helps."  Can you be a little more specific please?  I'm new to having a store (and blonde, lol).  

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Oh there's nothing you can do.  Just keep listing. It's how Google and all the algorithms work.  I have no idea why eBay pretty much resets you but it happens. My buddy who got me started on eBay and just opened his store is asking me if he should close it after 3 weeks because he hasn't had any sales.   I told him, you're just reset in the system.  Now I've been reading sales are slow across the board so I'm sure that's not helping. 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@tammyduckett wrote:

(which includes these last 2 weeks of only 1 sale) was 61 as of this morning.  Something is wrong somewhere.  My quality and pricing hasnt changed.

Are you sure you only had 1 sale?

I see items sold on April 2, April 1 (2 items), March 29, March 23 (2 items).

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I've been watching the ' recommended promotional rate' rise since the change...at 7.5% last I looked, reflects the desperation of sellers experiencing the same issue. When sale drop sellers panick, start raising promo rates, open stores, adding listings, lowering prices... All of which (except last one) means more profits for ebay.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@tammyduckett wrote:

I have had one sale since March 18th.  Something something is wrong somewhere.  When GTC kicked in I opened a EBay store so I wouldn't get caught with relisting fees and my sales had gotten to the point to where it wouldn't be costing me that much more because of the reduced FVF % for having a store and I also had the inventory I could list.  So I opened my store on the 19th or 20th, went from approx. 70 listings to 235 listings, and will be TRS my next evaluation.  Now I have less views and less watchers on 235 listings than I had when I had only 70 listings.  My # of sales for the last 60 days (which includes these last 2 weeks of only 1 sale) was 61 as of this morning.  Something is wrong somewhere.  My quality and pricing hasnt changed.

The honest answer is the Buyers have moved on from Ebay. Sales will decline when buyers leave. Buyers leave when sellers leave. Sellers leave because Ebay treats them terribly. All the other nonsense you hear , from the abused sellers stuck here, and from Ebay itself, is all pretty much rhetoric

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Everyone wants to blame GTC for slow sales.

Shipping rates went up a bit, affecting sales.
It's Spring and people aren't cooped up in their houses buying online as much.
People that lost everything and recovering from all the flooding up North, they aren't out buying collectables.
The people that got their tax returns earlier have already spent it.
It's tax time and people are saving money to pay their taxes.

There's a lot of reasons sales are slow right now.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

Everyone wants to blame GTC for slow sales.

Shipping rates went up a bit, affecting sales.
It's Spring and people aren't cooped up in their houses buying online as much.
People that lost everything and recovering from all the flooding up North, they aren't out buying collectables.
The people that got their tax returns earlier have already spent it.
It's tax time and people are saving money to pay their taxes.

There's a lot of reasons sales are slow right now.

Everyone always has reasons for slow sales. Anytime of the year you can come up with 5 reasons for slow sales if you reach far enough. If you compare it to previous years at this time you can get a better comparison. I don't sell here but my sales at the other place have been consistent as always. They don't fluctuate much.  I see no reason for Ebay sales to be awful other than the fact they are losing traffic at a drastic rate

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@valuestore wrote:

I've been watching the ' recommended promotional rate' rise since the change...at 7.5% last I looked, reflects the desperation of sellers experiencing the same issue. When sale drop sellers panick, start raising promo rates, open stores, adding listings, lowering prices... All of which (except last one) means more profits for ebay.

5 days later recommended  promo rate now 7.8, increased 0.3 in 5 days...if my maths right in 1536 days it will reach 100%..sweet.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Try lowering the price by $1 to increase your chance of selling.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply