cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping cart needs scrapped fails to function properly resulting in lost sales

With over 150 documented buyers who have had issue with the cart here is another one today.

"I have 3 items in my cart....can you adjust for combined shipping so I can complete checkout-thanks"

(Keep in mind SELLERS & BUYERS if this buyer would have not messaged about not being able to check out neither you nor I would know about it resulting in lost sales and you will never even know you lost the sale!)

and here is ebays non functioning system:

DSC06927.JPG

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

What item or items has the buyer selected? I can try those in another test.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 16 of 35
latest reply

I cannot as he wanted the items bad enough he paid the forced shipping on each item and I had to go back and undo things and figure it out and refund him the forced overcharge.....but at this point after yesterday it does not matter as ebay has done away with combined shipping completely....The forced into "autopay" eliminates any chance of combined shipping....I purchased a Chevelle promo off another seller and went to pay for it and ebay has taken(without my consent or authorization) the liberty to pay for it...This will not stand nor will I make any more purchases from ebay.....ebay is getting a little to free with my money and banking...I also lost a sale yesterday because of being unable to combine shipping......I will also check with paypal today and see if they can block any requests from ebay without my authorization 1st....

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

@quicksilverdiecast 

The seller has the ability to turn autopay (for offers), or "immediate payment required" (for BIN) ,  on or off. If you had to pay immediately for a BIN, that is a feature the seller installed on the listing. If you paid immediately on an offer, the seller controls that feature within Buyer Requirements.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 18 of 35
latest reply

I just got this working and it should not have been so hard to find.

I think the magic link you need is this one: https://www.bizpolicy.ebay.com/businesspolicy/manage 

You can also get to it through "My Ebay -> Account (Under "Selling") or Seller Hub -> Listings (under "Settings" on the left side)

1st, use this page to consolidate down to as few shipping policies as possible.

2nd, you have to edit those policies (from this business policy page, it doesn't work from the shipping preferences page!) and check the box under "Combined shipping discounts" to actually make them Apply.

I hope this helps

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

And another one today:

"Hi there
I'm interested in some of your items and I'd like to make some offers on them. However if you accept them eBay will charge automatically one shipping value for each car and I can't request you an invoice with combined shipping.
That way I'll go forward if you agree in refunding me the shipping difference after you calculate the right value.
What do you think about? Please let me know.
Thanks"

Word is finally starting to get around, and hopefully snowballs to the point they fix it.

One would have to consider that if the shopping cart is that much of a problem, where neither buyer or seller can figure it out...and accounting for the fact that I am approaching 200 documented cases from buyer(who either messaged me or paid the rip off shipping and were refunded), Have complained to ebay for at least 2 years, Lost who know how many sales, have had numerous high level techs go over my settings and finding no issues, Techs have written at least a dozen IT tickets to fix this issue....and I even developed an easy fix by just adding a simple "yes" or "No" Pop Up Button question. Which would work like this:

Buyer comes into my store and finds numerous items he wants...he chooses the 1st item and puts it in the cart, then a pop up window opens with a question "would you like to purchase another item"  "yes" or "No" button, he chooses yes and adds the next item and so on for each additional item(s) he put in the cart, when finished he hits the "NO" button and it automatically send it to the seller so it can be combined where possible, and then sent back to buyer to make payment....pretty simple, easy to figure out for buyers, saves losing sales, generates more income and fees....There is an old saying when developing things for the public to use it is called KISS= Keep It Simple Stupid....ebay you would do well to remember that.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

Here is another unhappy buyer:(he sent a second message with a screen shot showing items in the cart--but here again ebay fails and shows nothing anywhere to indicate a buyer waiting/wanting combined shipping...if the buyer would not have messaged me I would have never known he was out there ready to buy items....NEITHER WILL ANY OTHER SELLER know if they are losing buyers...and to the buyers DO NOT BLAME THE SELLERS...the blame goes 100% to ebay and where you should direct your frustration)

"Hello, I’m getting ready to purchase this decal along with the decal that goes on the front portion of the air cleaner lid can you combine shipping?"

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

Here is today's failure of the cart:

ebay.jpg

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

THANKS EBAY LOST THE LAST BUYER SALE!   IS THERE A WAY I CAN BILL YOU FOR THE LOSS YOU CAUSED?

EBAY: this is how you should do business.....from another buyer who YOU ebay, ripped off on shipping...

"I want to thank you for your attention in this matter. It is sellers such as yourself that will make me a return customer. I appreciate your refund also."

AND that is my point, your crappy cart that you will not fix nor have attempted to for 2 years losing not only buyers/sales in my store, but for the entire platform. When you take care of your customers and do the right things you build a good base of repeat buyers, but when you drive them away when they have money in hand and want to spend it and cannot...because of your cart.they will blame the seller and most likely NEVER come back and probably go to Amazon or Etsy...and then you rub salt in the wound crying poor and need to raise fees!!!!!! When if you did not drive buyers away you would generate a lot of money just in fees collected

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

This is a rant. Please explain the details for a more coherent post.

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

This "Rant" is because ebay fails to fix the shopping cart for the past 2 years! Countless phone calls, countless checking my settings(which are fine), at least 5 "IT" tickets written along with detailed step by step examples, Countless phone calls from my buyers to ebay who are very upset. Almost 200 documented issues with the cart between with my buyers. Losing sales with buyers who have money in hand and want to spend it and cannot figure it out....even developed and easy fix step by step.....

Also in the "RANT" highlighted in bold the message from a buyer whom EBAY ripped off on combined shipping, where I had to go back and undo things and refund him the excessive shipping costs as well as explaining that it is caused by ebay and not the sellers....at the beginning of the "RANT" is my gratitude to ebay for losing a sale because ebay blocks EVERYONE from combining shipping so the customer does not get ripped off.

AND the best part is NO SELLER will know if they have a buyer out there who has their items in his cart and cannot figure it out and/or blocks them from going any further, and unless that buyer actually messages the seller, the seller has no idea the buyer has a cart with items in it ready to buy, otherwise they just abandon the cart after awhile and go make their purchases somewhere else (most likely a competing platform). Ebay even has a "Items eligible for combined shipping" notification line in the sellers seller hub, where it says (Laughable) "You can combine up to 40 items" (I would pay to see that actually happen) and to date it has never once shown any indication of any eligible buyers  YET actually there is from the back and forth messages with the buyer trying to figure it out....I also might add that this is with shipping within the USA....I won't even get into International shipping issues.  So yes this is a RANT because I am tired of busting my behind everyday for 10-12 hours building a successful business for the past 27 years on here, only to have ebay get in the middle and screw things up and I lose sales. Which also means it causes ebay to lose "fees" of which then ebay says it needs to raise fees....NO no it does not, they just need to fix the cart so it is easy for the buyer to understand and use to complete a successful sale and the fees will roll in (collectively from other sellers as well)...If you like I can post each of the almost 200 cases with buyers trying to figure out the cart and those who were ripped off and had to be refunded, some as much as 30.00 overage on shipping. All the while I have to spend time going back and forth with buyers trying to make the cart work, and the time of finding other completed orders and correcting and refunding, where that time would be used for adding more product and processing and shipping...but everyday at 1-2 hours are wasted.on the combine shipping issues. Keep in mind that combined shipping worked near flawlessly before the cart was stuck in the middle, and the only lost sales were was if a buyer failed to pay(very few).....

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

Here is exactly one of my points from today...the buyer was overcharged roughly 10.00, all 3 items weigh less thank 4oz combined which is roughly 5.00 depending on zip code.

ebay.jpg

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

Here is from another customer today that has had issues.

"I want to thank you for your message. I have only been using the "cart" option several times - up until recently I have been buying a single item at a time. From now on I will simply be ordering without cart - I can contact you when ordering and discuss shipping arrangements with you at that time. Do I pay fiirst and then contact you or the other way around? By the way, I like your assortment of parts available."

This is another one of the issues with the cart...many buyers get confused and are not sure, and rightly so to be apprehensive as it concerns money and a transaction (just like with this new "autopay" poping up before you had a say of anything!) they want to be certain of...yet they find no clear direction to do so, only the numerous hoops they have to jump thru.....on a side note of the buyers statement...all sales are done thru ebay and not outside, reading his statement one could draw the wrong conclusions.

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

So ebay what is the current status at fixing or scrapping the cart.....or refunding sellers for lost sales due to the improper function of the cart...

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

Have you even tried the steps I wrote in my previous post that are needed to get it working?

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

ebay.jpg

as I said before I created a simply easy to understand "pop up" that once a buyer chooses his first item this pops up and is plain and simple...no guess work, no lost sales, so easy even a caveman can do it., if he chooses yes then it directs him bask to the store to "Continue Shopping", once that buyer is through and hits No it sends the order to me(seller) where I can properly combined it in the appropriate sized box now that ebay and USPS uses dimensional size and weight, and no longer one size box fits all, nor will the seller have to jump thru numerous hoops to create a shipping preference for an unlimited number of items of all weights and sizes, nor go thru and revise from a few to 1,000's of items and then HOPE whatever they did was correct....

Message 30 of 35
latest reply