cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem trying to figure out Card Attributes is not allowed as a variation specific error

Good morning.  I am trying to create a new listing that is a Pick Your card lot with 5 different cards.   I updated the Attributes and options you've selected part.   For each variation I entered a different picture, price, and quantity.  But when I try to list the item I am getting a 'Card Attributes is not allowed as a variation specific error".  I don't understand what this means.  I have been doing this format for many weeks now.  The version that I am working on is based on a 'Sell Similar" that I did on one I created 2 weeks ago.   Tried playing with Item Specifics and even Category with no luck

Is there some kind of update in ebay where this types of listing can't be done anymore?  

Thanks

Message 1 of 102
latest reply
101 REPLIES 101

Problem trying to figure out Card Attributes is not allowed as a variation specific error

@hammerva 

eBay has revised a lot of categories this past week.

It seems that everyone who has chosen "Card Attributes" for the name of the attribute drop list receives this error.  I don't know if this is an intentional change or a bug. To get past that issue, you would need to rename your group to something other than "Card Attributes". Some use "Card/Player" or "Card#".  Just make sure that the title you use is not the label for an Item Specific.

In the past, eBay has blocked reserved "Item Specifics" labels from being used as the name of an attribute group. We have seen this with "Color" and with "Player" in certain categories. If this current issue is not a bug, then it is possible that eBay is now reserving "Card Attributes".

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 102
latest reply

hello, I just found out that I have the same issue.

@shipscript When you say "rename your group to something other than "Card Attributes"", is there an actual "rename" option I'm not seeing? I can create a new group, but then it's empty and I need to enter everything again, potentially loosing all quantities and prices on variations. Thanks for the help!

Ugh ebay, that's not a pleasant surprise. I have hundreds of cards on various variation listings like that...

Message 3 of 102
latest reply

@cardcollectorhq 

Unfortunately, there is no "rename" capability for an attribute (the name assigned to a droplist group). The only way to rename is to delete the attribute and start a new one  (with a new list of options). As you suggest, this is a messy and unpleasant situation, so I'm hoping "Card Attributes" is just a glitch.  @Anonymous 

There are card seller posts all over the forums reporting the issue with  "Card Attributes".

If this is not a glitch, then I recommend that you download your active items through File Exchange (in seller hub) to capture the variation structure as a CSV file.  With that data in hand, you can either upload a CSV revision through File Exchange or manually revise the data.  In either case, the revision requires deleting the old and applying the new.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 102
latest reply

alright, thanks for the File Exchange tip, haven't tried it yet.

problem = opportunity I guess, maybe this'll force me to find ways to list faster 🤔

Message 5 of 102
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @hammerva @cardcollectorhq @shipscript,

Thanks for posting, I'm sorry to hear you've had trouble with this variation specific.

I haven't been able to find anything so far on that particular phrasing being reserved, but the messaging is consistent with other instances when we've done that, as Ship noted.

I've filed a ticket with our developers to get it looked into further.

Message 6 of 102
latest reply

having the same issue and cant add any items or change quantity of items because of it. please fix this. 

Message 7 of 102
latest reply

@cardcollectorhq 

@cardcollectorhq wrote:

alright, thanks for the File Exchange tip, haven't tried it yet.

problem = opportunity I guess, maybe this'll force me to find ways to list faster 🤔

I wrote a post last month to help sellers kickstart their variation listings through File Exchange:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Tools-Apps/Use-File-Exchange-to-take-the-pain-out-of-creating-large/m-...

It might also be helpful if you need to rename your attributes by deleting and adding.

Message 8 of 102
latest reply

Hopefully this will be fixed sooner rather than later.  I have many listings with variations that I need to update ASAP.  This bug will not even allow additions or price changes to the variations.  Very frustrating.

Message 9 of 102
latest reply

I have been trying to list several cards as a lot for the past couple of days and keep getting the error message "Card Attributes is not allowed as a variation specific".  When I attempt to rename it (as instructed) or use another variation specific listed, it still will not recognize it as valid and will not allow me to complete the listing.  I'm stuck in limbo with several drafts that I'm unable to list, no matter what I try.  It's particularly frustrating because I listed similar items just recently without a hitch, and also, I'm not able to revise those existing listings either... I get the same error message (so I decline the revision attempt in order to not lose the existing listings).  Is it me?  Is there now something different that I should be doing (whereas I didn't have to do just a week or so ago)?  Is it an eBay glitch?  And if so, when can we expect it to be resolved?

Message 10 of 102
latest reply

@mrtigersden 

I tried listing a new variation based on thisNFL listing of yours.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303959901831

As a new listing, I had to create the variations from scratch.

In the Attribute area, I chose the premade attribute of "Card Number" and then added my options under that name. I successfully listed in the Football trading cards category:

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Trading Card Singles

Are you doing something differently than what I described?

If trying to "rename", you will need to delete the existing Attribute name and start over with a new Attribute name.

Message 11 of 102
latest reply

That listing has been up and running.  But if I go to revise it, it gives the error.  I'll try your method (although I already did try using "Card Number" the other day for some new ones I'm trying to list and it didn't work)... again.

Thanks for reaching out and trying to help!  I'll let you know how it goes.

Message 12 of 102
latest reply

From looking at this there doesn't seem to be a universal way to update variations at once.   I know that in order to fix this issue I would have to remove "Card Attributes" to I guess "Card Number" but I can't figure how to just move them instead of having to manually add them again.  Since I have about 50 listings like this, I don't want to deal with this **bleep** one at a time. 

Message 13 of 102
latest reply

sorry wrong thread

Message 14 of 102
latest reply

Amen!  eBay needs to fix this ASAP.  It worked just fine a week or so ago, but not any longer.  Why did it work before, but not now (I'm addressing eBay of course)?  I tried "Card Number" and that didn't work either, it just grouped my entire lot into one big bundle rather than recognize the different price points I had already set up, etc.  So frustrating!

Message 15 of 102
latest reply