cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice on shipping 8oz songbooks overseas

Hi everyone!  I currently ship songbooks here in the US but am thinking about going international.  To start off I'd like to ship a specific group of songbooks that are around 8oz.   My first question is how much I have to worry about the 13x10" envelope surviving the trip.  I believe I can slip in a thin piece of chipboard to help protect the corners and still keep it in the 8-9oz range for Intl. First Class.   My next option would be to slip in a heavy duty piece of cardboard for full protection, but I'm fairly certain that will require upgrading to First Class Intl. Package?   I'm concerned buyers will be turned off by the Package rates because that would make shipping more expense than the songbook itself.   So if you happen to ship songbooks, magazines, or paperback items overseas, I'd really appreciate any advice you can sent my way!!!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Give your international buyers both options. Be sure to check out the customs stickers for both classes of mail.

Flats can be up to 12" x 15" x 3/4"

See the "bend" test here:

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_016.htm

Indicate that the large letter (flats) option (up to 15.99 ounces), while inexpensive, could experience postal damage and does not provide tracking; and that package rates (up to 4 pounds) do provide tracking and will arrive better protected for those looking for collectibles.

The package option would allow combining items in one shipment for those purchasing multiple items.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Somehow it seems to me that a few years back USPS eliminated the shipping of "merchandise" internationally by "letter rate", or "large envelope rate" (flats).

Additionally making a "large envelope" (flat) rigid for domestic shipping makes it a "package".  Would that not also be the case for international shipping of a "large envelope"?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 

Good catch! Yes, as of Jan 2018, the USPS no longer allows dutiable items as first class letters or flats.

So that resolves the issue. All USPS international sales must ship as packages.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

A buyer overseas is well aware that shipping could be the most expensive portion of whatever item that want to purchase. 

Whatever you sell should arrive in the same condition that is in your photos.  That's at the top of my list.

I've sold things to buyers overseas that paid triple in shipping to what the actual item sold for, and many also have to pay customs fees when it arrives on top of all of the other costs.    I think Australia even adds another surcharge onto the price of the shipping.

If a customer wants it and it's hard-to-find, they will pay the shipping.     Good luck

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Here are eBay some shipping rates for eBay International Shipping.  These are insured for $100.

stephenmorgan_0-1672124945205.png

An example from Pirate Ship going to UK

8 ounce $10.99

1 Pound  $14.99

2 Pound $18.99

3 Pound $25.99

Insurance for $100 is $1.35

Message 6 of 6
latest reply