cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Countering Offers, is There a Way to....

I had a Buyer submit an Offer which was reasonable respectable, and I countered for just 5% more & explained 'I'll ship same-day, I'm already below other Seller's Price Point on the same item' things like that.  Keep in mind, the Buyer came to me & his offer is good for 24 hrs per policy.  If the Buyer is unresponsive on the counter, he has still committed to buy prior to sending in the first place.

Once I submitted my counter, (I did not 'Decline' his original offer), I am no longer able to accept the original Offer, the ball is 100% in their court.  I would argue that is completely upside down, as the Buyer now is in control.  What if 

I am anxious to move inventory & need to make the Sale.

Does anyone think this needs to be an option to us Sellers?  The Buyer's offer should be valid for 24 hrs, even if it's countered.

Appreciate any thoughts or work-arounds...

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

A counter offer means that you didn't accept the original offer. Since that one isn't on the table anymore, maybe you could suggest that the prospective buyer shoot you a counter offer of his/her original amount. I think you could accept it.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hi & thanks...  Obviously the reply written is how the current Counter process works, but do you believe it to be in the Seller's favor?  I don't recall taking the initial Offer off-the-table...

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Your option was to accept their offer when it was offered.

Countering their offer takes their offer off the table.

Simple as that. You got greedy and lost out.

Change the listing price to match the offer they sent that you now like and send them a message to that effect and hope they have not already bought from someone else.

Posting ID
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

"... but do you believe it to be in the Seller's favor?"

@mllehigh.deals 

I don't find the offer/counter offer to be in "favor" of either party. As a matter of fact, done properly it's quite square.

But if you're looking for workarounds, you've gotten a couple of good ones. Sometimes eBay is like 'WorkaroundsRUs'. 🤣

Message 5 of 5
latest reply