cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any one else trying to edit listings in bulk using find & replace a sentance? It does'nt work.

Tonight I was attempting to edit my listings in bulk to just change a sentance or two using the feature to find and replace in the description. 

Theres a box to put what to find in the description and another to put in what you want to replace it with. 

It doesn't work. What I wanted to replace never gets replaced. GRRRR 

This feature would be great if it actually worked. 🤬😡

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Any one else trying to edit listings in bulk using find & replace a sentance? It does'nt work.

Hi @ebooksdiva! The tech team came back saying the Find and Replace option was working like normal. I also just tried to use it with my own account and didn't run into issues. Are you still experiencing problems with it?

If so, they say they'll need an item number, screen shot of the error, and the URL for the error window. If you're okay sharing that here, be sure to tag me when you follow-up. If not, then let me know and I can send you an email to reply to with it. Thanks!

Velvet,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

I have tried it in the past too, without success as well. Yes, it would be a great feature. Too bad it doesn't work.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I find it a daunting task to edit over 2500 listings one at a time. UGH!!

It would be nice if someone can get this fixed it would have taken a few minutes but instead it took HOURS to edit my listings. 

velvet@ebay 

Can you help with this please? 

Can you help with me with this? Untitled.png

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

I find it a daunting task to edit over 2500 listings one at a time. UGH!!

It would be nice if someone can get this fixed it would have taken a few minutes but instead it took HOURS to edit my listings. 

velvet@ebay 

Can you help with this please? 

Can you help with me with this? Untitled.png

Thanks for the tag @ebooksdiva. I'm in the process of filing a tech ticket and it's requesting the URL for the page you're on that is erroring out. They also need to know the browser you're using. Once I have those from you I'll be able to complete and submit the ticket. Thanks!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

I’m using a desktop with windows 10 using Microsoft Edge.  I was using Bulk Edit 

Thank you so much ☺️

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

I have used it twice and both times it messed up our listing. Had to go back and check one by one such a pain

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

Revise listings (ebay.com)

Microsoft Edge browser

Sorry I was away from my computer when I responded earlier.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@jamestowngirl52 

I feel your pain!

Nothing like editing 2500 plus listings one at a time.. I have a stiff neck and carpel tunnel from the endless clicking. Just kidding...But still...Technology is supposed to make things easy not harder.

Kinda like when I was still working.. we went from paper charts to computer, supposed to cut your charting time in half they said, WRONG! It added 2 hours with all the superfluous clicking.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

velvet@ebay 

Revise listings (ebay.com)

Microsoft Edge browser

Sorry I was away from my computer when I responded earlier.

No worries! Thanks for providing those to me. I've submitted the ticket and I'll let you know what I can find out. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Thank you so much!

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

The new version of Find/Replace differs from the old version of BEAR in one critical aspect.  The old version allowed HTML entry, while the new version accepts only text entry.

The new Find/Replace will finish without any errors, but nothing will be changed because the tool will not find any matches.

In both old and new, plain text will fail when the description contains hidden HTML.  If the text is a single sentence, the editor might successfully find a match if there is no styling within the sentence. But if the text crosses a paragraph boundary or contains styling (or even the entity code for an ampersand or hardspace), the tool will not find a match. Some can get around the problem by using find/replace on smaller bits of text (targeting text that is between HTML codes).

In the old version, at least there was the ability to provide the entire HTML paragraph, and the bulk editor would replace it.  That option is gone; and both old and new Find/Replace tools were almost useless without the HTML input. The HTML input feature is what must be restored. I have tried entering the HTML in the "Find" slot, but that won't find a match. I extensively tested this failure over a month ago, and briefly just now to verify it has not changed.

Similar issue last week:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/template-creation/m-p/33044048

Until this issue is resolved, I think I will again recommend that sellers with hundreds or thousands of listings look to the Active Content editor for bulk description editing. It can accept (regex) wildcards or can find text within a range (starts with - ends with), so exact matches are not essential; and various parts of the description can be changed in one pass. The editor will make copies of the descriptions, change them in bulk, and save to a spreadsheet (along with a backup copy of the originals). The resulting spreadsheet can be uploaded to eBay through Seller Hub > Reports > Uploads.  If anyone needs help with this powerful online tool, please let me know.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@ebooksdiva 

Can you point to a listing and call out the sentence you want to change?

I'll look at it to see what the underlying code looks like. Maybe there will be a way to work around it.

You can test whether the bulk find/replace has worked by reviewing the description directly within the bulk editor grid, as changes made in the description popup will be immediately reflected in the grid. That means you can make successive changes if you need to nibble away at find/replace, and then apply the entire editing session as a revision.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@shipscript 

I had a statement in my listings that said 

$3.95 Flat Rate Shipping

I wanted it to change it to

$4.50 Flat Rate Shipping. 

I ended up deleting the entire statement yesterday, dong it 1 listing at a time (2554 times, UGH) since the bulk editor failed to work as it should to find text and replace it. 

So it's pretty much moot now.

But thank you for trying to lend a hand. 

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@ebooksdiva 

I'm so sorry you had to edit manually. 😞

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Hi @ebooksdiva! The tech team came back saying the Find and Replace option was working like normal. I also just tried to use it with my own account and didn't run into issues. Are you still experiencing problems with it?

If so, they say they'll need an item number, screen shot of the error, and the URL for the error window. If you're okay sharing that here, be sure to tag me when you follow-up. If not, then let me know and I can send you an email to reply to with it. Thanks!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 15 of 25
latest reply