cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

+1(800)270-6870 SCAM

Receiving calls from this # claiming it’s eBay!

1st voicemail-Hello this is Sean calling from the eBay team and very reaching out now because _⁠_ would like to tell you about the personalization feature _⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_ Ofer as of changes he will need to make your email listing since you're not available just _⁠_⁠_ _ set a call back for you thank you for your time and you have a great _⁠_⁠_ bye.

2nd voicemail-Hello this is Sean calling from our eBay team and reaching out now for you to be updated and then you _⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_ out we are offering since you're not available we're just going to set a call back for you thank you for your time and you have a great one bye.

Unfortunately I’ll block this number now, but just thought I’d share bc eBay does state this is a scam! I did request eBay to call me from the •help option! & both times now I’ve received 2 confirmations from different reps that this is in fact a scam & NOT eBay reaching out! So eBay sellers beware!!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

+1(800)270-6870 SCAM

You should figure a way to report it.  I think with the FTC you may able to report it online.

This site has the number reported many times.

https://calldetective.net/800-270-6870/

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

+1(800)270-6870 SCAM

@mrsqueenbeead wrote:

Receiving calls from this # claiming it’s eBay!

1st voicemail-Hello this is Sean calling from the eBay team and very reaching out now because _⁠_ would like to tell you about the personalization feature _⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_ Ofer as of changes he will need to make your email listing since you're not available just _⁠_⁠_ _ set a call back for you thank you for your time and you have a great _⁠_⁠_ bye.

2nd voicemail-Hello this is Sean calling from our eBay team and reaching out now for you to be updated and then you _⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_ out we are offering since you're not available we're just going to set a call back for you thank you for your time and you have a great one bye.

Unfortunately I’ll block this number now, but just thought I’d share bc eBay does state this is a scam! I did request eBay to call me from the •help option! & both times now I’ve received 2 confirmations from different reps that this is in fact a scam & NOT eBay reaching out! So eBay sellers beware!!

Thanks for the update..as luck would have it my iphone as the option to silence unknown callers so any unknown call would go to voicemail and get a recording of "We're sorry but the person you have reached has a voice mail that hasn't been set up yet, Good bye " lol

I have not set up voice mail, because I see whose calling by caller ID.

So If I get those calls I never know until I look at my recent missed calls. Because the phone won't ring for those type of calls.

I have gotten scam calls claiming to be amazon. Kicker is I never put a phone number in the account so I knew it was spam/scam from the get go.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

+1(800)270-6870 SCAM

@mrsqueenbeead 

I see that you have an item that can be personalized.

There is actually an eBay marketing call going around right now advising sellers how to use the "personalization" field on eBay listings. There are several categories where you can select a field to ask the buyer for the text they want to add to their purchased item.

eBay produced this video on the topic

https://youtu.be/UBaIYRyRLiU

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

+1(800)270-6870 SCAM

@ebooksdiva 

@mrsqueenbeead 

@stephenmorgan 

@glorybells  has personalized items for sale,  received the same eBay phone message, and would probably be able to help if you had any questions. See this listing as an example.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333860457096

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

+1(800)270-6870 SCAM

Thanks for the tag, @shipscript !

@mrsqueenbeead 

@ebooksdiva 

@stephenmorgan 

I recently received a similar call, and was eventually able to find out it was legitimate.  I suspect this long overdue change to eBay making it workable for sellers to offer personalized items (at one time it was rather challenging, and these items often didn’t show up in search results) is what prompted the calls.

This will allow eBay to try to be competitive with Etsy, who seems to have long dominated the personalization market among similar type websites.  I think to try to make these changes profitable, they’ve been reaching out to sellers with a history of offering personalized items.  I got off the phone fairly quickly from the call, though, after informing them I’m a Community Mentor, Expert Seller, and I actually do read the updates they send out, so I felt like I knew what I needed to about the changes.

It’s interesting, though, that we’re all so used to having difficulties reaching eBay when needed, that the idea of them contacting us seems so foreign that we immediately think “scam”!

GloryBells  • 
eBay Mentor Since 2008

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

+1(800)270-6870 SCAM

i too am getting these calls!!! I never answered however thought it was odd they were calling me!

thanks mrsqueen!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

+1(800)270-6870 SCAM

Ebay will reach out to some sellers if they think they could use a new feature offered on the site.

I got a few calls a couple years ago about a new feature that they were offering and since I was already using it, I never answered the calls.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 8
latest reply