cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Seller Metrics under growth tools

@raquel_bayarea

"When you sell an item and the buyer notifies you that they have not received their item, or that it was not as described, your seller performance standard rating may be affected if you do not resolve the buyer request in a timely manner. Starting in June 2018, we will provide you with additional visibility into the status of your buyers’ after-sale requests in Seller Hub, which will help you identify any listings that aren’t meeting buyer expectations. The metrics will also show how often you receive these requests compared to sellers of similar items and circumstances. Low rates of after-sale requests can help improve your listings visibility."

I wanted to better elaborate on my previous question. Under "Growth tools" it is stated that "low rates of after sale requests can help improve your listings visibility"...... Does this basicly mean that we are moving back to return defects by another name, going back to punishing us for things we can not control? Is ebay going to decide search visibility by the number of return requests? If so what is the criteria for demotion?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@coinslabz26 wrote:

@raquel_bayarea

Thank you very much for your reply!

Are the comparisons going to be apples to apples as far as price and quality are concerned?

I don't believe my return rate to be high but I sell high end certified coins with the vast majority being over $100 with many well into the $1000's. Buyers are understandably more picky in coins of this price range.

Example a 1963 Franklin Half Dollar can be $10 for a circulated one or a high end certified FBL example can be over $1000. Many people won't return a $10 coin but they are pretty quick to return a $1000 one simply because they disagree with the ebay approved certification company.

Is this going to leave the sellers of low cost items boosted with the sellers of premium and branded items lowered? The growth tools make the comparison that I should lower $1000 coins to $10 and I am wondering if we are going to now face this same issue when it comes to visibility.

Is there going to be a curve for such instances and has this been considered? It would be a shame to have only the low end merchandise get premium placement simply because the sellers of such items are getting fewer returns for reasons that the items of low price/quality are simply not worth returning while hiding premium goods in the search.

Hi @coinslabz26 ! 

Price and quantity do in fact unfluence the metric benchmarking.  Sellers of $100 items are not benchmarked against sellers of $10 items, for example.  There are some good insights in our FAQs as well that may compliment your question here:  http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/growth-tools.html#m17-3-tb2

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@coinslabz26 wrote:

@raquel_bayarea

"When you sell an item and the buyer notifies you that they have not received their item, or that it was not as described, your seller performance standard rating may be affected if you do not resolve the buyer request in a timely manner. Starting in June 2018, we will provide you with additional visibility into the status of your buyers’ after-sale requests in Seller Hub, which will help you identify any listings that aren’t meeting buyer expectations. The metrics will also show how often you receive these requests compared to sellers of similar items and circumstances. Low rates of after-sale requests can help improve your listings visibility."

I wanted to better elaborate on my previous question. Under "Growth tools" it is stated that "low rates of after sale requests can help improve your listings visibility"...... Does this basicly mean that we are moving back to return defects by another name, going back to punishing us for things we can not control? Is ebay going to decide search visibility by the number of return requests? If so what is the criteria for demotion?

The new seller metrics will not affect your seller performance standards evaluation or rating.  However, sellers with low rates of requests for "items not received" and returns for "items not as described" relative to sellers offering similar products can receive more listing visibility.

What matters are your rates relative to sellers offering similar items.  If your category has high rates of buyer return requests for items not as described, the same is true for all sellers in the category. So a “high” return rate alone isn’t a concern; having a return rate that is on par or below similar sellers in your category is what matters most

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@raquel_bayarea

Are the comparisons going to be apples to apples as far as price and quality are concerned?

I don't believe my return rate to be high but I sell high end certified coins with the vast majority being over $100 with many well into the $1000's. Buyers are understandably more picky in coins of this price range.

Example a 1963 Franklin Half Dollar can be $10 for a circulated one or a high end certified FBL example can be over $1000. Many people won't return a $10 coin but they are pretty quick to return a $1000 one simply because they disagree with the ebay approved certification company.

Is this going to leave the sellers of low cost items boosted with the sellers of premium and branded items lowered? The growth tools make the comparison that I should lower $1000 coins to $10 and I am wondering if we are going to now face this same issue when it comes to visibility.

Is there going to be a curve for such instances and has this been considered? It would be a shame to have only the low end merchandise get premium placement simply because the sellers of such items are getting fewer returns for reasons that the items of low price/quality are simply not worth returning while hiding premium goods in the search.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@coinslabz26 wrote:

@raquel_bayarea

Hi @coinslabz26 ! 

Price and quantity do in fact unfluence the metric benchmarking.  Sellers of $100 items are not benchmarked against sellers of $10 items, for example.  There are some good insights in our FAQs as well that may compliment your question here:  http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/growth-tools.html#m17-3-tb2

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@raquel_bayarea

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide detailed answers to my questions! I genuinely appreciate it!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply