cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scam or not a scam that is the ?......

Found this on letgo and i messaged the person . They replied and said they wanted to do the deal through ebay motors  , which i was cool with until i started reading the invoice that was sent to me in my email and that i couldn't pay with paypal or other means , but through via  gift cards. it all looked legit at first but i'm not 100% on this. Can anyone tell if they feel that this a scam as i do , i cant associate the assistance phone number they give with ebay in any .  And it called me but i didn't answer because i screen my calls , if they don't leave a message then it wasn't important , is the way i feel!!! 

So if anyone has a clue or the same thoughts as I then please help !!! I don't want to be another victim to these **bleep** scammers and would love to hand over all the info and emails back and forth that i received  to the correct authorities to help stop ppl like this preying on the vulnerable . thank for your time and is greatly appreciated !!! 

P.S i did also get a story that her son died and that is why that her and her husband are selling it , and that they are out of town alot but they are home for the next 2 months .... so of course i felt for her having kids myself . SO id hate for this to be fake but i wouldn't be surprised if everyone feels the same way i do that im gone be scammed if i go through with it.. first i have to see if everyone sees it like i do !!!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@samewto0 

This is one of the oldest scams here on eBay. Avoid this at all costs or it will end up costing you! So glad you didn't fall for this scam.

Anyone that asks you to pay with gift cards is scamming you. The sellers next step if you agree is to send you a dummy "invoice" that will really look like it came from eBay, asking you to pay with gift cards to have the vehicle/trailer shipped to you for a free evaluation period. The seller will take the numbers from them and cash out and you will not be able to get you money back! Then the seller disappears. 

The seller may even try to be more convincing by saying that ebay will send it from their warehouse. eBay has no warehouse and does not ship vehicles. eBay does not handle such transactions. So this statement is a lie. 

A vehicle/trailer should be sold through eBay and not a different site. When sold on eBay you will have some protection. Usually, what happens is that you have to pay a deposit. After the deposit, you then make arrangements to meet the seller to inspect the vehicle/trailer and if satisfied you will pay the seller the remaining amount. Never pay for the vehicle in full prior to your meeting no matter what.

I would advise that you report this ad to Letgo to try and get it removed.

You can also report the ad to: 

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) www.ic3.gov

Here are eBay's links to info on scams: 

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html

https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety/common-fraud-schemes/online-vehicle-sale-fraud

Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

that was my thoughts i guess i just needed reassurance in my assumptions. thank you much for taking time to read this and to give your input on the subject. and trust me i plan on reporting it !!! thank you !!!!
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@samewto0 

You are very welcome! I am just so happy you didn't get scammed! Happy to help!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply