cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seller unable to do partial refund

The seller agreed to a partial refund.

But they sent me a screenshot showing that they were not able to do the refund.

Can someone explained what happened?

Below is the screenshot.

The seller mentioned that they did not want to link a credit card

Very confusing to me since I don't sell on eBay anymore and I have never done a refund when I was selling.

failedRefundEbay2.png

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: seller unable to do partial refund

The seller is able to refund.  The problem is they don't  want to follow rules.  They have to attach a credit card to refunds.  eBay wants to make sure if the payout falls short and there's no funds to draw from their bank account that they'll charge their credit card.   That is how it works for all refunds, partial or full.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The seller is able to refund.  The problem is they don't  want to follow rules.  They have to attach a credit card to refunds.  eBay wants to make sure if the payout falls short and there's no funds to draw from their bank account that they'll charge their credit card.   That is how it works for all refunds, partial or full.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

The seller also wrote :

So, when returning on: 2/28, if not objectionable, will issue the "$X.XX" from whatever funds are brought-into the eBay-balance around: 3/3-3/5/2022

The seller is away until 2/28. It seems that the seller is waiting for funds to arrive in their eBay account. Does waiting until 3/5 make any sense? It seems eBay isn't going to budge.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

They want you to wait? ABSOLUTELY NOT. In 2 weeks they'll have to hit that same refund button and do they think eBay requirements will go away?

If the seller doesn't refund you by 2 business days you need to ask eBay to step in.  

eBay will refund if they see the seller isn't  refunding but stalling,  or they'll have you return the item for a full refund. Being the seller won't  supply a back up method for extras like return labels eBay will just probably refund in full and tell you that you don't have to return it. And the seller will get a well deserved defect.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I'm not 100% clear on this but I thought we had to have a backup method but that the backup method could be our bank account.  I don't recall adding a credit card to my MP account.  I tried to double check but I'm not sure where I would look.

If my memory is correct, the seller may just need to specify that their bank account can be used as a backup source.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

It's under Account Settings/Payment Information/Payments. I've got a CC attached (don't remember if it was required to add it or not), but a seller can select that or (the Bank Account) as 'Preferred for selling costs'... the 'backup', if you will.

ETA: Now I'm confused... maybe that's just used for eBay invoices. Hmmm...

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Thanks, I looked and I don't have a CC attached so perhaps it isn't necessary.  I haven't ever been in an situation when I didn't have enough in my available payments so it's possible that it will be required in the future??

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

They want you to wait? ABSOLUTELY NOT. In 2 weeks they'll have to hit that same refund button and do they think eBay requirements will go away?

That's what I thought.

@fab_finds4u wrote:

eBay will refund if they see the seller isn't  refunding but stalling,  or they'll have you return the item for a full refund. Being the seller won't  supply a back up method for extras like return labels eBay will just probably refund in full and tell you that you don't have to return it. And the seller will get a well deserved defect.

I initiated a chat with eBay since 3 days has gone by.

The seller offered the partial refund on 2/15, and I accepted the same day. Today is 2/18.

The eBay representative offered a full refund, and I did not have to return the items.

The seller was very insistent on not wanting to link a credit card.

I am thinking the seller has never had to do a refund.

Will the refund come out of the seller's pockets?

I really don't want that to happen, but it seems clear that waiting until 3/5 or later isn't going to change anything as far as eBay's rules are concerned.

Thank you for your help.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Thanks, I looked and I don't have a CC attached so perhaps it isn't necessary.  I haven't ever been in an situation when I didn't have enough in my available payments so it's possible that it will be required in the future??

I found this video that talks about refunding buyers. https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/refunding-buyers?id=5182

Not sure whether the seller in my case has $0 in the Available, Processing, and On hold funds.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I've never not  had enough in my available, either (to date, anyway), so I can't speak from experience. I opted into MP during Fall, 2018. I can't remember when I attached my CC, but the fear of rare 'surprise refunds' may have been my reasoning.

I've heard that MP will overdraw a bank account (for a refund), so that might be a reason to do it... but I wouldn't think they'd have to require  a seller to have one. Surely some out there don't... you know? 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: