cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay charged me more than the sale price when refunded buyer

The item was 520 exactly and shipping 210 exactly, the item was damaged during shipping, fully insured but probably wont be hearing back from fedex after filing a claim. Refunded the buyer despite fedex being the one responsible for damaging the box (it looked like it dropped from several feet) Ebay charged me 797.53, why do i have to take a 67.53 dollar loss on a refund, not to mention losing additional money from failed insurance claim? Spent another 80 dollars on shipping materials so i ended up losing like 300 dollars on this thing. The buyer didnt lose anything but i sure did.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: ebay charged me more than the sale price when refunded buyer

So $520 + 210 + (67.53 is tax)  Total = 797.53  where did ebay charged you more?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

That is where i am wondering, as the seller i sold it for 520+210, and seemingly have to pay even more when i refunded the buyer. I incur a 67 dollar penalty for someone elses mistake?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

When the buyer paid you they paid you 797.53. The only thing you will loose is the return shipping and 30 cent ebay transaction fee that ebay charged when you do a refund.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I did not get 797.53, It was 520+210 and less when ebay takes the 12 percent. I do not collect sales tax, ebay does automatically.

I think you mean they paid ebay that much, not myself.

Amount$730.00
Total fees-$100.39

Net order proceeds$629.61
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

When you process the refund it will also refund the tax and you fee will be refunded too. Yes ebay collect the tax not you.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thr extra change that's sales tax ia the burden of the buyer not the seller if you sold on here you would know this. That being said the 730 is what the buyer paid him for the sale item and shipping and the remainder is what the buyer paid also sales tax. Sales tax is not for the seller. Bur he is being charges sales tax as a seller I just found out I was hit with paying the taxes to ebay decided they want to keep the sales tax the buyer paid ans make you pay the buyer their sales tax protecting off the sellers 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: