cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay doesn't honor their own policy!

Hi!

Buyer returned a bunch of mailing envelopes instead of an iPhone 13 Pro and used a third party freight forwarder for initial order. Total scam! I filed a Police report (opened a return package with the Police Officer as a witness) and reported a problem with the return to eBay, but eBay ruled the case out in the buyer's favor against their own Policy (where the buyer loses MBG when the Third Party FF is involved)!!

HERE'S THE FULL STORY:

I sold an Apple iPhone 13 Pro 512GB to a buyer registered in Bulgaria. My iPhone was in very good cosmetic condition, with no cracks, and in excellent working condition, as described and pictured in my eBay listing. I packaged the order (bubble-wrapped and double-boxed) and shipped it on 04/15/24.

The buyer used a third-party Freight Forwarder named Globbing. They receive merchandise, open and repack orders (according to their policy) and forward them to the clients overseas. The order was delivered to the above Freight Forwarder to the person  on 04/17/24.

On 04/18/24, the buyer opened a return request alleging he received a broken and cracked iPhone. He provided photos of an iPhone that did not match the one sent to him, displaying cracks on the back and scratches on the sides. The return request was automatically approved by eBay.

On 04/18/24, another person  shipped the order back to me, and I received the package on 04/20/24.

However, upon inspection of the package's appearance, it became apparent that the returned package did not contain the iPhone. The package had the form of a large flat rectangle, with its contents packed in a polyethylene bag, easily bendable as if containing magazines or papers. Suspecting foul play and the unlawful withholding of the iPhone, I decided to involve the police and open the package in front of a police officer to ascertain its contents and pursue appropriate legal action.

On 04/22/24, I filed a Police Report with my Local PD. With the Police Officer as a witness we opened the package, which contained USPS mailing envelopes instead of the iPhone!! 

Subsequently, on the same day, I contacted the New Castle Police Department in Delaware, explained the situation, and filed a police report with them as well. 

This financial scam organized by a group of individuals within Globbing Company involves fraudulent merchandise returns, constituting theft.

I also contacted The Federal Bureau of Investigation and filed a Complaint with their Internet Crime Complaint Center, or IC3. 

I reported a problem with the return and attached photos and full description,  eBay still ruled it out in the buyer's favor stating the following: "The tracking shows the return was delivered". I think they didn't even read the explanation of the issue!

What are my next steps? eBay does not adhere to their own policy! Please help!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

File mail fraud with USPS.

Appeal the case and provide all the reports you received.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Whould you recommend also calling eBay right after submitting an appeal? I'm not sure their Appeal Department is reachable by phone. I'm now waiting for the Police Report to be ready, it'll take a week. I'd like to attach it to my appeal as well.  

Thank you!!

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

How would the police officer be a viable witness since they wouldn't know what you originally shipped in the first place? The officer would only know what you claim to have shipped and what you claim the buyer returned... regardless, I do believe I read in the MBG policy that buyers aren't covered if they use a freight forwarder and if that's the case you should have won or win any appeal.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I'm curious to know how you shipped it out on 4/15 and it got to the freight forwarder on 4/17 and the buyer registered in Bulgaria has it on 4/18 and is opening a case. Am I missing something? It takes that much time for my P.O. to get the mail to the main sorting facility.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@the-hook-and-the-loop wrote:

I'm curious to know how you shipped it out on 4/15 and it got to the freight forwarder on 4/17 and the buyer registered in Bulgaria has it on 4/18 and is opening a case. Am I missing something? 

Yes, it seems you did. The buyer

-- opened a SNAD return request after the phone arrived at the FF

-- used photos of another phone for the return request

-- then had USPS envelopes returned instead.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@designerlounge wrote:

Whould you recommend also calling eBay right after submitting an appeal? I'm not sure their Appeal Department is reachable by phone. I'm now waiting for the Police Report to be ready, it'll take a week. I'd like to attach it to my appeal as well.  

Thank you!!

I think all you would get is regular CS and don't think they would be much help.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

The police officer would witness only the contents of the return. I just brought the unopened package with me to the PD.   

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

You are not missing anything.  The buyer opened a SNAD return request on the next day the iPhone arrived at the Freight Forwarder. There is no way the buyer received it in Bulgaria.

I believe the FF sent the buyer photos of the broken iPhone so that he would be able to open the case and get a return label. The buyer might even not be aware of the scam going on within the FF company. I read the FF policy, they state that they open all packages before shipping them overseas.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Yep, this is exactly what happened! I'll be filing an appeal next week and wil keep you posted on the outcome. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: