Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer returned the box saying things were missing from the box

Hello
I sold a jewelry box with jewelry and watches inside
The buyer received the box and sent a message that a cameo was missing
I sent it by usps priority mail
then the buyer started a return saying that the cameo was missing and more things
The buyer sent two photos, watches and a pocket watch were missing in the photos.
What can I do in this case
It's the first time this has happened to me in many years.
I sent a message to the buyer telling him that in the photos he sent, not only was the cameo missing, but many other things
and I told him that I will open an investigation
I did the right thing?

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

That's all complete **bleep**. There is no seller protection on eBay. None. If you get defrauded, eBay will not lift a finger to help.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 38 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

That's very unfortunate for you and I'm sorry this has happened. This platform offers a money back guarantee to all buyers.  Your best bet is to ask the buyer to open a return case and accept the return and issue the return label or you will also receive a defect on your selling account. It happens; it's a part of selling online. If you do not want the remainder of the jewelry back you can always just refund and save the return shipping, that is a call only you can make. This is a he said/she said situation where the buyer is favored on online purchases. Hopefully this was not an expensive lot. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

thanks for answering lamber

I called eBay customer service and they advised me to accept the return, but if things were missing later I contacted eBay and they will give a partial return
It seems to me that he took the best things and left the rest

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

Oh, this buyer is definitely stealing from you, no doubt about it. However, when it comes to online selling that is not something one can prove. Also unfortunately the phone reps only tell a person what they want to hear in order to "complete" the call and move onto the next call. That rep gave you the wrong information. A seller can only retain up to 50% if that seller has TRS and offers free returns, which your listings do not. 

There is no way that you can prove the brooch wasn't missing when you shipped the package. Of course, it was there, no one on this forum is actually doubting you, but this platform will not get into these types of discussions for that reason. There are millions of individual transactions every day and they cannot and will not get into investigating each individual transaction. It is a part of online selling. You did the right thing in accepting the return. Always keep your selling account in mind and be sure to block this buyer and report him for not sending back all of the items. It's the best you can do....

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

Im sorry to say that rep was not giving you accurate information. The buyer will get a full refund most likely as soon as the pkg shows delivered to you. But you can appeal when the case is closed,for whatever good that will do. I do wish you good luck tho.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 38
latest reply

Here is a good link for you to read up on seller protections and the policies. It covers the 50% deduction rules. You can also report this buyer using these links under the abusive buyer. 

Seller protections | eBay

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

It's unfortunate but it's very common here.  Worse, the protections are always for the buyer. They have nothing to lose by trying their scams and the seller has everything to lose.  I deal in collectibles and the communities I'm involved in are turning away from here for that very reason.

Don't sell anything valuable on eBay.

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

"What can I do in this case"

@cristian3_6 

In this case, you'll be issuing a full refund... it's a Not as Described reason, but you used a 'No Returns' policy.

As far as cases moving forward... you have TRS status, and if you only offered as little as a 30-Day (buyer pays) Returns policy, you'd be able to reduce the amount of the full refund by up to as much as 50% if your item comes back to you damaged/destroyed/de-valued.

I'd offer that you revisit your Returns policy. I realize that half doesn't make you whole, but it lessens the sting of the refund a bit. It's one of the last seller protections left... use it. Good luck moving forward.

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

I don't know what to think now
whether to believe in the buyer that things are really missing or he kept things?
Does the USPS have insurance? I sold the box for 79 dollars
would i have to go to the usps? to tell them?

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

There would be fifty dollars insurance. But the Usps is not responsible for any items that the buyer says were missing from the box.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 10 of 38
latest reply

if things are missing then someone took them away
it's all very strange
Is it so easy to buy, say things are missing, give me the money and then?
I should change this or put more rules

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

Your 'rules'would be trumped by Ebays MBG. Unfortunately, the buyer is always right..sorry.

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

@cristian3_6 wrote:

I don't know what to think now
whether to believe in the buyer that things are really missing or he kept things?
Does the USPS have insurance? I sold the box for 79 dollars
would i have to go to the usps? to tell them?

USPS insurance is only for a lost package in the mail. They do not insure the items inside because they are not who packages the items....

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

Here is a good link for you to read up on seller protections and the policies. It covers the 50% deduction rules. You can also report this buyer using these links under the abusive buyer. 

Seller protections | eBay

Don't you have to offer 30 day returns to be qualified to deduct 50%?

Have a great day.
Message 14 of 38
latest reply

@cristian3_6 wrote:

if things are missing then someone took them away
it's all very strange
Is it so easy to buy, say things are missing, give me the money and then?
I should change this or put more rules

Not really that strange, people don't always tell the truth. Every society will have a small amount of folks who break the rules and/or are simply unethical. That's how the world works. Your own polices are trumped by the money back guarantee for this platform. You really need to learn to accept that society has some miscreants in it. Unfortunately, one crossed your path, it happens sometimes. The majority of transactions go off without a hitch, you just came across one that didn't. Best of luck to you....

Message 15 of 38
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: