cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VENTING! eBay Continues To Take Sellers Money and Then SOME~!

14 years at this and this one takes the cake.  

1.  Buyer buys item (metal vintage door lock)

2.  Seller tries the item and realized they made a mistake

3.  Seller asks for a return (Which I do not take, but I reluctantly did anyway)

4.  Item arrives broken

5.  I still refund the customer, but let them know that was not the way they got the item.

6.  Buyer calls credit card company and says they never got the item

7.  I dispute the chargeback - show all tracking back and forth, the damaged item and my  messages with the customer

8.  eBay (says it's the credit card company) deducts the amount of $41.99 PLUS $20 service charge.

So on a $47 purchase the customer got the first refund of $31.28 plus the chargeback of $41.99.  They made money on being lying, kniving - crooks.....

So far eBay said I deserve the $20 back, but they have not given me any other money back.  What a scam!!!!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Your scenario seems far fetched.

First no returns does not mean no refunds in an item not described case. 

If you refunded the buyer in full for the item then eBay wouldn't have allowed a payment dispute with the buyers financial institution. They don't allow 2 cases on the same item. 
The only thing that comes to mind is you didn't give a full refund the first time so the buyer went after you for the remainder of the payment. 
As for the item arriving broken..how would you know it didn't? 
Were you there when the buyer opened it? You don't know what packages go through in transit to the buyer.  

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Sorry, here are better details under the correct account 🙂

The item had photos with a tape measure showing the dimensions.  They either did not look at the photos and or thought they could get it to work.  They then sent me photos with the lock installed in their door and how it did not fit.  So I said I would take it back, because I know I could resell it no problem.  Since I do not offer returns eBay did give me the option not to take the return, but I did any way. 

I originally wrapped it in 3 pieces of bubble wrapped packed tight with packing paper as well, like I always do.  They sent it back with no packing paper and one piece of bubble wrap not even taped around the item, so it just bounced around the box.  That is how it was broken.  On the return shipment.

I sent them a note saying I got the item, and I wish they had packed it the way I sent it because it arrived broken.   They could not believe being metal it broke.  yeah.. no packing and it being cast metal and not solid metal.  I then refunded the money anyway.  Then within a few hours they did the chargeback with a lie of course.  That is how they got away with it.  

Since this post and three phone calls to eBay they did refund the $20 and the original refund because the customer did get the full amount as you mentioned from the chargeback and they cancelled the original refund.  This just happened yesterday and I'm just now checking this post. 

I do feel with eBay you are guilty until you prove your innocent.  I had all of the tracking info, pictures of the lock in their door and it was not broken and the return shipment with the broken lock.

So at this point I still lost money and I have a broken lock which can't be resold.  I do know that is the cost of doing business and I'm OK with that.  Things happen.  Some buyers can't be trusted, but in the end that is eBay's customer not mine and I hope other sellers do not get the same thing.  I'm out at least $40 for doing the right thing and the lock goes to the scrap pile.

Thanks for your reply.  I might not have been as clear as I should have been and yes, it sure was a far fetched situation! 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: