cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller sold me a defective camera, but wants to charge restocking fee if I return?

I purchased a camera that's undoubtedly defective (I have another identical camera that doesn't experience the issue). The listing says returns allowed within 14 days, buyer pays return shipping. I used it for an hour, experienced the issue, messaged the seller about it, but he's telling me to either send it to the manufacturer for warranty (which will not be viable, as warranty repairs/replacements take forever and I can't be without the camera), or start a return and they'll take 15% off the total refund as a restocking fee. Is this allowed? Am I wrong to expect a full refund for being sold a defective camera? Any advice is very appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Seller sold me a defective camera, but wants to charge restocking fee if I return?

eBay eliminated restocking fees years ago @va0175_yojfmzzje .

File a return request with the reason "doesn't work or defective" and the seller will provide a prepaid label for the return. If the seller does not cooperate you will be able to "ask eBay to step in" after a few days. If the seller sends you less than a full refund after it's returned you will be given the option to dispute the partial refund.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/return-item-refund?id=4041

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. I’ve never dealt with anything like this before, so I appreciate the insight. I was questioning if I was crazy for wanting a full refund by the way the seller was communicating about the situation.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The eBay Money Back Guarantee for buyers works very well when/if used correctly and in the appropriate time frame.  Now would be a good time for you to read it so that you will be prepared if/when this happens again.  

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@va0175_yojfmzzje wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I’ve never dealt with anything like this before, so I appreciate the insight. I was questioning if I was crazy for wanting a full refund by the way the seller was communicating about the situation.

Nah, you're not crazy @va0175_yojfmzzje . The seller, if they go through with the restocking fee, will be violating eBay policy. Instructions were posted above, but if you need more help later come back and let us know or you can contact customer service.

https://www.ebay.com/help/contact_us?id=4002&st=10

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Thanks so much! I feel like an expensive weight was lifted off my shoulders. I'll update in case the seller does end up violating the policy.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

eBay's Money Back Guarantee protects you if you receive a defective product.  Return the item, choose the reason that it's defective and wait for a return label. If the seller doesn't send you one by 3 business days go back to the case and ask eBay for help.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

and how ebay can know if its defective product? one coin has two sides, the only way is to read the return policy of seller before buy so buyer can be protected before make a purchase, 50% buyers do not read the seller or ebay policies before make a purchase and later blame sellers or ebay.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Open a return case and wait for the return label, in that order.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

In this particular case, the buyer appears to have received an item that's NAD.

The seller's return policy in this case does not matter because the buyer is protected by the MBG.  

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

If somebody has a no returns policy what that really means is they don't want their item back if this buyer claims anything is wrong with it and they just will give a refund. Of course most of them do not see it this way but that is the reality of what no returns means. Any buyer can claim it's not as described and force a return and so there's no benefit to having no returns. All it does is attract scammers who assume you don't know what you're doing by having no returns, and forces people to lie about the reason they're returning (where in some cases if you had buyer pays returns they might tell the truth that they changed their mind and then they would have to pay the return shipping).

Message 11 of 11
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: