cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return denied by Ebay and buyers gets C.Card company involoved

Request for return and it is fraudulent and ebay denies and these buyers have learned to contact their credit card companies and they are always awarded a total refund. WHY is eBay NOT involved to prove to these outside credit card companies about potential or known fraudulent returns that are costing sellers A LOT of money and yet we don't get our item back. There is so much fraud against sellers that are hurting us in the long run, that the credit card companies should be given all the evidence before just taking money out of our pockets? These scammers a good portion of the time are then listing the items they now kept for free as selling on their accounts? This has to be the most frustrating issue we are having and costing us so much money. Is there anything in the works for prevention of bad return requests that ebay denies and credit cards accept and we lose money and product? Can't eBay let the credit companies know that this is fraud, even by sharing notes and info from sellers disputing why. 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Return denied by Ebay and buyers gets C.Card company involoved

Payment disputes area problem: just how much info can you get in one photo if even allowed that???

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Sometimes it's better to just accept the return, then deal with it once something is returned.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@cjbball wrote:

WHY is eBay NOT involved to prove to these outside credit card companies about potential or known fraudulent returns that are costing sellers A LOT of money and yet we don't get our item back. 

If eBay fights every chargeback, the two companies that take credit cards for eBay -- Adyen and PayPal -- will start charging eBay more fees.

• So it's better for eBay to let the chargebacks through, and bill all the sellers instead.

eBay tried to help you by closing the case without refunding the buyer, but there's always the risk that the buyer might be able to one-two punch with a chargeback, which overrides eBay's decision.

• So eBay is counting on you to resolve it at your basement level, and accept the return.
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

Payment disputes area problem: just how much info can you get in one photo if even allowed that???

That's just busy-work eBay invented to pacify sellers: 

- eBay is not sending that picture to PayPal or Adyen

- for Adyen or PayPal to forward to the credit card company

- and the credit card company never asked for a picture.

How far down is the seller?

1. Buyer's payment > 2. Card issuer > 3. Adyen or PayPal > 4. eBay Payments > 5. Seller

If it's a slam-dunk like a tracking number, then eBay "protects" the seller.

Otherwise, all eBay wants is the seller to refund, and eBay won't charge the $20 dispute fee. No picture needed.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

eBay and or other platforms have no influence over credit card issuer/ company.

Credit card is issued to their customer( Your buyer) in most vcases without any charges and each timer these customers/ buyers use the credit card you the seller are charged a processing fee and I suspect this fee is divided up by all financial institutions involved in the transaction including credit card issuer and in addition card issuer gets interest from their customer( Your buyer) if they do not clear their balance each month.

These credit card issuers in my opinion are the route cause of problems faced by all sellers as they are not governed/ do not consider rules/ agreements that allow buyers to return items as sellers are governed by distance selling rules which in most countries is return for defective or not as described items and or in line with sellers /platforms policies for 14 days or 30 days from date of receipt.

Credit card issuer and Banks have their own rules which allow claims for upto 180 days from date of payment and their customer ( Your buyer) simply claims that item is defective or not as described and they would open a charge back dispute with seller/ platform like eBay and best option seller has is to state in their response that they will accept the return. This should result in your buyer being required to send the item back to seller's address using  atracked/ signed for service at their expense. Scammers could and will send you rocks instead of item you supplied and still get their refund.

I am a seller and after more than a decaded of selling online I accept 30 days return and in most cases I would accept a return outside of 30 days simply to avoid the lottery of a charge back claim as accepting a return in most cases would result in getting the item back which I can resell and in chargeback cases sellers are likely to loose the case ( Total order value is refundded to buyer) and not get their item back.

I know it stinks but sadly Banks/ credit card issuers are incharge and their only concern is that their issued credit card continues to be used and for them to make money. Fair trading is not something they understand just their own profit.

My apology for the rant but I hate " Chareg back" claims.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Doesn't matter that ebay has no influence over the credit card companies.. the payments are made on their platform on behalf of their clients which they should protect.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

In all actuality you are supposed to have seller protection if a eBay case was already found in your favor or the same type case 

"An eBay Money Back Guarantee case of the same type was already:

Decided against the buyer; or

Resolved with a full refund to the buyer through eBay"

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293#eligi...

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

When it used to be paypal it was ALWAYS them backing you up.  Credit card chargebacks NEVER worked with them unless a seller just did not respond.  To me total bull that the tracking number from ebay shipping must be hand entered also.  I mean maybe we should just carve the tracking number on a rock and throw it at them since we obviously are living in a cave on ebay

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Not a rant at all - we are ALL sick of being abused. And paying for the privilege

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

PayPal didn’t offer any protection for SNAD chargebacks either, only for INR.

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@xchains wrote:

total bull that the tracking number from ebay shipping must be hand entered also. 

we should just carve the tracking number on a rock and throw it at them since we obviously are living in a cave on ebay

Why do they have to hear the story all over again in a case when the

- judge

- jury

- executioner

already heard it on the news?

Why do they have to get the tracking number again in a case when the

- buyer

- seller

- eBay

already have the tracking number?

Actually, recently, eBay has been automatically uploading the tracking number for a chargeback themselves.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

I feel your pain because I dealt with the same issue a computer worth more than $600, the scammer "B CH", filed the dispute and not only she was awarded the money then kept the computer as well and eBay did not protect me as they claim : seller protection. And I contacted her gave her the return shipping label after she said come and get your item then at the end she did not send a thing. Here's an advice of what you do in the future because I made up my mind on doing the same thing to show the **bleep** bank they will not keep my merchandise even if I have to pay the shipping back : Now if the dispute is about "item not received" and you do have the tracking # that shows it was delivered then you are protected even if they award the customer the money you are protected you will not lose your money as long as you paid for signature required for items worth more than $750 so you do not need to send a return shipping label. If the merchandise is worth more than $750 always do signature required. So when they open a bank dispute case first send the customer a return shipping label attached with the message : send the item back in the same condition that we sent it to you and you will receive your refund then send proof to the bank that you sent the customer a return shipping label to return the merchandise back to you that way if they refund the customer and he keeps the merchandise then you go ahead and get you a lawyer to go after them because that's scam from the bank as well because they are helping scammers basically. This way you get your merchandise back and resell it. Another woman tried the same **bleep** I sent her right away a return shipping label you know her reply was a shock : she was like why did you send me a return shipping label ? I said if you don't like the item send it back for a refund and the dispute was closed because the item was delivered. You have to win over these people who do not own a soul nor do have a heart they are worthless scam creatures on this earth.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

No it does not work that way you can get denied eBay's seller protection which happened to me in a similar case, they kept the computer and the money even there was a message that was sent to me stating blatantly you will receive your merchandise back after the refund was taken out of my account, eBay's response was sorry but we cannot make buyers return the item back to you. So seller protection is not something you can count on on cases where the buyer can lie and claim anything from item not as described, missing parts or pieces, they can lie and get away with it, so your best bet is what I told the one who opened this post : Read my reply to him and let me know what you think

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

that's correct I agree with you and I said the same thing to eBay when we were with PayPal for more than 12 to 13 years I never heard of or dealt with a payment dispute ever, paypal knew it was the cost of doing business and protected the sellers to keep them happy and they did not show greed, because many small sellers cannot afford those big losses especially when you have the company making billions of dollars in profit they cared about small sellers pop and moms shop and protected them for some it's their livelihood. eBay took over and pushed those losses to us.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: