cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a buyer from Canada had to return an item, would shipping be global eBay rates or much higher$?

A seller in Canada bought an xbox. It only cost me $9 to ship to Canada due to eBay's global shipping but if this buyer had to return, what cost could I be stuck with?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: If a buyer from Canada had to return an item, would shipping be global eBay rates or much higher

GSP rates are pretty high, so; same rate.  $9 is pretty good considering package was insured for full value. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: If a buyer from Canada had to return an item, would shipping be global eBay rates or much higher

Thanks 

so if they do return the 9 pound package I’ll just be charged GSP the same way I shipped it?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You mean to say; GSP charged you $9 for a 9 pound package?! That doesn't sound right. 

GSP doesn't do returns. You have to send a label or pay Buyer for return postage. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

My bad actually about $12. The global shipping goes to Erlanger KY which is only 2 hours from me

so if I have to purchase a return label from Canada we might be talking $50 or something?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Yes, if it is an item not described claim and the problem was not caused by the gsp, you would have to pay for shipping from Canada.  It depends where the buyer is located but from Alberta to Ohio, the cost would be approximately $55C. ($42 US)   I had to guess on the dimensions so I could be off on the cost.

Why does the buyer want to return the xbox?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Is this just a hypothetical situation? If I am looking at the right listing you sold it yesterday?

To put the return cost in perspective..

If you sold to a buyer in California the cost to ship it there shows as $78 so I would assume that it would cost about the same to have it returned to you if a Calif buyer had a problem.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

You paid $12 for shipping your package to Erlanger, KY. Buyer paid GSP fees for shipping from  Erlanger, KY to Canada. You wouldn't know the cost because GSP charges are collected directly from Buyer. Sellers wouldn't see the bill unless Buyers show them the receipt.

Now, if you get a return, as I said; You have to send a label or pay Buyer for return postage. GSP doesn't do returns.

$50 for a 9 pound package from Canada to US seems right. Just let them know to mark the package 'Return', so you wouldn't get charged for U S Customs Duty. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

As others mentioned, the reason for the return would play a factor @cerealjedi. Is this a hypothetical or did the buyer indicate an issue or reason why they would want to return before receiving the package?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: