cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should I wait to file a "return request" after first contact?

Received my package yesterday, flattened. Item was shattered into pieces. First class package, so no insurance from seller.  I contacted them explaining and providing pictures, hoping to hear back within 24 hours, but nothing yet. I was hoping for at least some kind of acknowledgement.

Should I give it more time, or should I just go straight to return request for item arrived damaged?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You have 30 days after item arrival. Go to your purchase, select the one in question, click return, and mark reason for return. A return label will be issued, you packaged item and send it.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@warmsignal21 

Do it now, no reason to wait.

Go to your purchase history and click return item and select, the item doesn't match the description as the reason.
The seller will have 3 days to accept the return and pay return shipping or refund without returning.
If they don't, return to the case on day 4 and ask Ebay to step in.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

"Should I give it more time, or should I just go straight to return request for item arrived damaged?"

I understand what you mean, I also prefer to give sellers the benefit of the doubt and allow them time to resolve the issue before opening a return. I usually give them 24 hours on weekdays, but if I send the message on a weekend, I usually give them until Monday afternoon to respond.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

You waited long enough.  File the case.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Sorry but you've waited enough time. You are not obligated to contact the seller first, although that's very kind of you to do so. Since seller isn't on top of their delivered items, and these days with our constant and instant communication that's a mystery, you've waited enough time. Go file your INAD case and follow the prompts to get a full refund. Ship it back exactly as it arrived using the same flattened package. You've done your part. Best of luck to you....

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I agree with popblox that it would be reasonable to wait until Monday afternoon since the parcel arrived on Saturday. Many sellers do not check for messages on the weekend.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Hi @warmsignal21 

It's a holiday weekend.  Not all sellers are at their computers looking for messages.

That said, it's really not necessary to contact a seller before filing a return request ... as sellers no longer are penalized simply for having cases opened ... only if they don't take care of the matter before the buyer asks eBay to 'step in'.

A seller needs a case to be opened before they can provide you with a prepaid shipping label ... so things move more quickly if you file the case as soon as you notice the problem.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@house*of*paws wrote:

That said, it's really not necessary to contact a seller before filing a return request ... as sellers no longer are penalized simply for having cases opened ... only if they don't take care of the matter before the buyer asks eBay to 'step in'.

A seller needs a case to be opened before they can provide you with a prepaid shipping label ... so things move more quickly if you file the case as soon as you notice the problem.

They won't get a defect, but their seller metrics will get hit and if they get up to a "very high" rate they will be subject to much higher fees.

It's also possible to provide a return label without a case being opened - it just won't be an eBay-generated label.

This is a situation where some sellers would refund without a return because the item is "shattered to pieces" and the buyer provided photographs.

Similar to what popblox said, I'd give the seller until EOD Monday (seller's time zone) to get back to me. If no reply then file the return Monday night. This week would be an exception. Since it is a holiday weekend, I would give the seller until Tuesday to reply.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the useful info @wastingtime101  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: