cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Return a "No Returns Accepted" Item?

I purchased something on 4-4-23 and paid for it immediately. The seller did not ship it until 4-11-23 because he forgot (as said in an email when I inquired about it). As of today, 4-14-23, there is still no tracking update beyond 4-11-03 when it was dropped off. At the time of purchase the projected delivery date by UPS (after the tracking number was obtained) was April 8 - April 12.

I no longer need it. If and when I finally receive it is there a way Ebay allows me to return it for a full refund due to it being so late to arrive?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

You should not refuse it, if it arrives, because that voids the MBG.

What you need to do right now (if the last estimated was April 12th) is open an item not received case.  And be sure to follow through with it. 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I hadn't planned on refusing it. I was wondering if Ebay had specific steps for returning something in this particular situation.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Yes, there is something to do. I think Arrived Late might be a return reason. Others will chime in.

Be patient and someone(s) will walk you through this one.  Allow more than one member  to chime in.

Posting ID
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@rubiano98 wrote:

I hadn't planned on refusing it. I was wondering if Ebay had specific steps for returning something in this particular situation.

@rubiano98 

eBay has a very specific way to return items. >> eBay Money Back Guarantee policy

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Thank you, I'll do that.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I looked at the return reasons. The 5 at the bottom would force a return. Not for sure if not receiving the item on time fits the return reason of "Doesn't match description or photos"

Ordered by mistake

Doesn't fit

Found a better price

Changed my mind

Don’t like it

Missing parts or pieces

Item is defective

Received wrong item

Doesn't match description or photos

Arrived damaged

Posting ID
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

If you want to return items you no longer need or want or you found it cheaper or you changed your mind then you should buy from  sellers that accepts returns.

eBay not the seller is the one that puts the expected date in the listing.

Unless it is a perishable item  a couple of days late shouldn't be a reason to return it. The delivery date is an estimate.

Sure, you can open a return case but then the seller will have 3 days to resolve the problem. By then it should arrive. And sometimes eBay allows more time before you can escalate  if tracking shows it's moving.

Oh, and eBay used to say in the shipping area the seller is not responsible for transit times. I personally would never return an item that arrived as described because it was a few days past the estimated delivery date.   There is guaranteed date certain delivery but the cost is very high.

eBay says if you don't receive the item, or the item isn't as described you have 30 days to get your money back. Do that if you don't receive it or it's damaged or not as described When it arrives.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

qeqo_0
Thrill-Seeker

@rubiano98 wrote:

At the time of purchase the projected delivery date by UPS (after the tracking number was obtained) was April 8 - April 12.

I no longer need it. If and when I finally receive it is there a way Ebay allows me to return it for a full refund due to it being so late to arrive?

No, there is no eBay "specific steps" that "allows me to return it for a full refund due to it being so late to arrive." 

qeqo_0_0-1681532128711.png

As everyone advised @rubiano98 we aren't due a refund just because "I no longer need it."

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

The seller forgot to ship it. Said he found it in the trunk of his car after I emailed him about it.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Sellers are allowed to have a No Returns policy.

Sellers are NOT allowed to have a No Refunds policy.

If you open a Not Received dispute, and he cannot supply Proof of Delivery, you will be refunded.

Since you don't have the item, you don't have to think about the return.

Since you are past the last estimated date for delivery open the Not Received dispute immediately.

If it arrives after you have been refunded, you can mark it Return to Sender or refuse it from the carrier, or refuse it at the PO counter. It will (eventually) be returned to the seller.

If it arrives while the Dispute is open, you can change the claim to Not As Described*. The seller can then refund without return, or send you a Return Shipping Label, and refund you when he gets it back.

*There are other options there, some more accurate than NAD but since in my opinion the seller is not only responsible for prompt delivery but in this case at fault for late shipping, I'd go with the NAD which refunds your entire payment including shipping.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

"I no longer need it" is not the reason, the reason is that it still hasn't arrived and it was paid for within seconds of buying. I held up my end but the seller was neglectful on his end. It's still in the same state in the U.S. where it was when it started on April 4, as of April 15.

I've been active on Ebay since 1997 and I do know some things about how it works.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Again. Since you have not recieved the item, the Dispute is NOT RECEIVED.

There is no question of returning an item you don't have.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@rubiano98 wrote:

The seller forgot to ship it. Said he found it in the trunk of his car after I emailed him about it.

Sheesh! At this point, ask the seller to please cancel and issue a refund. He should realize it's his error and do so willingly.

ETA: If the seller isn't willing to cancel and refund, go to the order and open INR. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

When the seller mails the item the day before the last estimated delivery date, I think that it is reasonable to return it because it arrived too late. This isn't a matter of delivery taking too long but that the seller forgot to mail the item on time.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: