cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken item

My buyer received his item broken. It is a vintage plastic toy. I wrapped it in foam padding, placed in Original Box, then shipping box. I insured it. Buyer wants a refund, but feels I should refund him even though the item is insured through UPS. Is it my responsibility or the buyers to pursue the claim with UPS?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Broken item

Your responsibility - 100%.  The buyer did not receive what he ordered.  insurance is for the seller, not the buyer.

Regardless, he had already been inconvenienced - it shouldn’t be made worse by having to pursue a claim that likely is going to be rejected.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Broken item

@bpwcsmith 

You refund the buyer and ask for a few pictures of the item and package.

Have the buyer hang on to everything so it can be inspected.

You file a claim with the carrier.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Broken item

Have the buyer hang on to everything. File a claim with post office and they will pick up the item and inspect it. They will notify you in a few days that your item isn’t covered. You have to refund buyer. I do it just after the post office picks up the package just to make sure they do comply with that. Now, as I said they will notify you that your package will not be covered by insurance. Just be prepared for that, because your chances of any postal service honoring insurance is about 1 in a million.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Broken item

You sent the item in original box. So, you didn't double box the item!? 

If outer box doesn't  show significant damage, you don't have a claim. Don't bother to file. You have a packing issue. Original Boxes are not reliable and strong, due to the age.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Broken item

It's the SELLER that files any insurance claim and has to refund the buyer.  After all, the seller packed it.  Insurance may not even cover it if that feel if was not packed well enough.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Broken item

If I’m a buyer, I’m not going to schedule my day around when the usps might pick up a damaged item.  Heck, how does a buyer return for an INAD if they give it to a mail carrier?  If I’m the buyer, I’m playing it by the book - return request, print label, ship back to seller.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Broken item

Wow it is sad that some have to comment more than a simple "you" or "the buyer" which would answer your question.

"Is it my responsibility or the buyers to pursue the claim with UPS?" It would be "you".

Really nothing more needs to be said. Including this!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: