cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Seller Being Protected?

Purchased an item that was supposed to be "new with tags" in women's size 10. The item arrived sans any tags and is NOT size 10 - not even close. Initiated a return solidly founded on the facts; the seller misrepresented the item's condition and also it is not accurately sized. Almost immediately after I opened the dispute to attempt a return eBay closed the dispute and denied the return. I have been a member of eBay since 1999 and was one of the original "Power Sellers". I realize that when an ad states "No returns" that it can be appealed as a method of protecting buyers from this sort of a situation. Notably this seller has other recent negative feedback indicative of the exact same issues. eBay removed my negative feedback for some unknown reason; I left honest feedback in order to "protect the field" and eBay opted to deny a reasonable request to return as well as remove feedback that would serve to warn others that this particular seller is one who should be avoided. 

I have taken all of the data from the denial along with images of the item sans the tags as well as measured showing a drastic difference between actual size 10 versus this item and have forwarded to my bank in order to dispute the charge and seek a chargeback. I have accepted that this may well be my final transaction on eBay after all of these years. Best guess, founded on other items I've purchased that came from China - this item came out of China and isn't genuine. It says size 10 but is, at best, a size 4 - something Chinese products are infamous for. 

I just don't understand how eBay could close the case so quickly and without any true consideration for the facts. Thankfully this seller has been hit with enough negative feedback recently that their sales are going to decline and fewer buyers will be taken. But this does not counter the painful fact that eBay isn't acting as a neutral party in the transaction when they automatically take sides without fully considering all of the facts, investigating the matter in earnest and only rendering a final outcome once all of the processes of discovery have been completed. 

I would welcome any comments, suggestions or other here folks. As I said, I am an old "vet" on this site and this truly saddens me because basically bad sellers should NEVER be protected or rewarded. Accountability is the only way that this place will survive. There are simply way too many other places to purchase things at great prices and they ALL force sellers to accept a return if an item isn't up to par. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Not sure what case you filed but with the eBay MBG, had you filed a "not as described" case you would have one.

I have seldom heard of a buyer opening a Not As Described case and being denied the return / refund.

eBay never "looks" at any cases. It is all done automatically.

There is no proof  needed for a buyer to win a not as described.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Not sure what case you filed but with the eBay MBG, had you filed a "not as described" case you would have one.

I have seldom heard of a buyer opening a Not As Described case and being denied the return / refund.

eBay never "looks" at any cases. It is all done automatically.

There is no proof  needed for a buyer to win a not as described.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Exactly what kind of case did you open?

It should have been NAD.

If it was "didn't fit", that's considered a remorse return and that's the reason for the outcome.  

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I agree with the others. You must have opened a wrong size or doesn't  fit case instead of doesn't match the description.

If you paid with PayPal go there to file a not as described case. If you paid with a credit card you can also file a chargeback with the card co if you didn't pay through PayPal. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Actually I used to be an original power seller myself but stepped away after Ebay started screwing with charges and started giving out fees on shipping etc that hurt actual honest sellers and recently started selling again on Ebay. 

Returns are always a nightmare and honestly I always always try to avoid buying anything from China because 99.9% of the time it's either not worth it, not what you ordered, wrong item etc. Most of the times though when they're contacted about defective or incorrect items they're so cheap usually lol But im honestly surprised that if it was a Wrong or incorrect item ( not as described) return that Normally its sellers responsibility. I recently had my first return as I was an inch off on my measurements and incorrectly described the item but offered a full refund and ½ shipping with return of the item. But I always try to avoid purchases from China for this exact reason 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

was this  started as a Return or as an Item not as described?  i think there might be a difference. but i  think ebay is not protective enough  to  scammed buyers, at all . This has really gone too far. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

actually, when ebay doesn't let you submit a SNAD case WITHOUT PHOTOS, well, yes  there is proof required !

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

The post to which you are replying is from 08/29/23.

The OP evidently has resolved the issue, whatever it was, because she still has made eBay purchases. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

When a buyer receives an item that is not as described, he returns to that item in his Purchase History and checks off that he wants to return it.  There is a drop down menu for the reason.  On that menu, he would click on "not as described".  

Since eBay does offer the Money Back Guarantee for buyers, would be interested in knowing why you believe eBay is "not protective enough".  ALL buyers need to read the MBG, preferably BEFORE starting to shop on eBay.  When used appropriately and within the time limits, the MBG is actually very good.  For instance, right now I could open an item not as described case on my latest purchase and the seller would be required to send me a prepaid return label and to refund in full upon receipt of the returned item.  This prevails even if/when there is nothing wrong with the item.  

So can you explain why you believe eBay is not protective enough? 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

that 30 days is a miserably  deficient length of time for several reasons. So,   Why do YOU care about this subject and why do YOU defend ebay who is so egregiously   against the buyer  and all fairness?   you must have some stake in it you do not disclose. Why would a  mere user think tha t this 30 day scheme is somehow  fair ? when they buyer is BEING ROBBED. there are good reasons why  our laws  have years long  statute of limitations  and not a mere outrageous 30 days. It's called fairness in dealings. it should actually be longer than a couple years in the law and at least 6  months on ebay.  In the interest of not letting people get robbed.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@themayqueen 

You’ve used 3 posts mostly to attack another responder who provided information that was accurate and mostly helpful IMHO.

I suspect you didn’t like the single question you were asked … which led to a barrage of unwarranted accusations and insults.  

It is normal on these Boards to inform a poster when they’ve replied to an older thread.  No disparagement is intended.

BTW, no one posting in the Community works for eBay.   When an eBay employee posts here … they are CLEARLY identified as such.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: