cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody elses seeing an Uptick in Free return scams in the last year?

I've been an ebay member since the beginning and just recently I have notice an increase in fraudulent returns. I Sell used powersoprts parts for the last fourteen years. And always build my listings with the year make, and models of machines, that the part will fit as well as the manufactures oem part number. I also use high quality pictures.  I've had an increase of buyers returning parts stating that they don't fit their machine. when I ask them what year make and model of machine they are working 95% of the time it's a totally different machine and their machine is no where listed in my listing. Or I simply get guys opening a returning stating that it does fit or not described, but when I get the return back the part was never unpackage. I have already contacted ebay support over the course of these returns and I get a different answer everytime. They suggested to report the buyer and  I have  under the buyer made false claims. I've also have had guys return their old broken parts or  my part after they used it for 3 weeks. For those returns I used the % of feature that we are able to use.  I thought I was following ebay's seller protection guidelines ,but ebay has suspended my Seller protections for 90 day? anybody have any suggestions

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Anybody elses seeing an Uptick in Free return scams in the last year?

Yes I have had 4 return scams this year so far in 2024. The buyer makes up a bogus reason to return somtimes the picture is not even of the part sent. Then they return a covid mask. All of them have had no prior feedback and usually the phone number is many sates away from the shipping address. I have caught 3 and canceled the orders before I shipped them. Definitely a uptick in return scams. That being said eBay has covered me in all of these after I called eBay. Even after that 2 of them did a CC chargeback eBay covered me but eBay did loose to the scammer due to the CC chargeback.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

I sell parts, though not car parts and yes it has been getting worse. I have had at least two in the last couple weeks. One return buyer kept some of the items I sent them (I kept $5 to cover it not a big deal I did reach out to them but they never replied) , one a couple days ago the buyer took the item apart ($100 item) and stole parts out of the item. This isn't normal, normally its items getting damaged and returned or buyers filing returns improperly. The buyer did respond today saying their handy man did it and apologized. 

Had a buyer a few months ago buy a part, install it on one of their customers machines. Their customer came back almost 30 days later because they broke the touch screen button and the guy filed for a refund and I got stuck with no money and a broken item. Guy said all of this right in messaging. I called ebay to tell them and I was told not to do anything because the return was placed on hold and when it came back to call them. I did and was told it would take a few days to process as they were going to cover it. The next day the system automatically refunded them and I was out everything. Called back and was told sorry you shouldn't have refunded them its too late to do anything. Luckily the mark on my account was removed at least. 

To hear they are removing your seller rights to partial refunds is very worrisome. Selling parts has to be one of if not the highest abused categories. Sometimes its because buyers are dishonest. Other times its because when they are repairing something they don't know what they are doing and either buy the wrong part, misdiagnose an issue, or damage an item because they don't know how to properly install or remove it.

I have invested a lot of time and money into growing my business on ebay the last couple years and when I read things like this it really has me thinking it was a horrible decision knowing they can shut me down because of abusive buyers. I hope I'm wrong. 

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@bgt_masters_of_tiki_d wrote:

To hear they are removing your seller rights to partial refunds is very worrisome. 

Wait, where did you hear that?  MY seller rights?  Or did you mean the OP?  

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Yes..I have.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

I meant OP, sorry. 

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Ebay itself is a scam now.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

I am getting a bunch in 2024. It seems they won't stop. Got one today, buyer send me back a junk phone instead of the perfect one we sent. I contact eBay, they say they take all the notes. Then next day they give the buyer a full refund out of my balance. Appeal gets denied almost instantly. 

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: