cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly Community Chat, June 7th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community 🙌

Please join the Community team at 1 pm Pacific today for our weekly chat. We do not have a set topic this week so feel free to ask us your buying or selling questions or share what's on your eBay mind. 

For the last couple of weeks, we've been sharing a survey that we're currently conducting regarding the weekly chat format. We'll be closing the survey this week, so please take a minute to share your thoughts if you haven't done so yet. 

Talk to you at 1 pm!

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 83
latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Anonymous
Not applicable

@timemachine777 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:
Why is it that lately every time I call CS about my huge drop in sales on all my accounts at once, I get told that lots of sellers are calling in with the same issues, and that eBay is currently experiencing wide spread glitches and bugs, and that their apps and tools are having major problems also. They're are talking to me about stuff that I'm not even calling in about, but it's relevant to my issue.

As we've been working with you regarding these concerns via email, I suggest you reply there with your specific issues. We do not have any widespred problems right now with apps or tools, but can look into your experience if you reply to the most recent message we sent to you. Looking forward to working with you.

These issues don't just concern me, since other sellers are posting about it also. Plus since we last spoke, I've had about 5 more reps tell me the same thing as the others were saying. That's troubling to me.

We won't be able to discuss your account specific questions here in the Weekly chat. I recommend you reach out through the emails where we've been talking for further review.

Message 16 of 83
latest reply

Hi Alan,

I have recently (since June 1) noticed that 300+ of my listings ended by itself.

I do realize there's a 'spring cleaning' going on that aims at removing 'duplicate' listings but my listings aren't duplicates because some parts may look or sound the same but it only fits certain vehicles.

Were they removed because of the spring cleaning action or were they removed for some other reason?

Message 17 of 83
latest reply

@upscale_shop wrote:

Hi alan@ebay tyler@ebay @Anonymous and @Anonymous

Not sure whether you know the answer to this:

I joined the Webinar today regarding promo tools, and my comments did not post. Is there any plan to synch the promo manager /markdown manager with the new search option Deals and Savings ?

So far, I have not been able to find an answer other than that the search option uses an algorhitm to search for comps in and outside of eBay to consistently offer buyers the best value. I was also told that duration of sale affects whether it would be picked up by the search tool.

As a test, I ran a sale on skirts, 40% off my prices. As an example (and there were several) , I had a NWT item that retails for $69 listed during the sale at less than $12 with free shipping. Sale duration 48 hours. It did not appear in the Deals and Savings search, and using both the markdown and promotional manager creating a sale had no visible effect on traffic to that category during the sale. 

Thanks for any insight.

Hi @upscale_shop

I'll ask Adi, the expert that was chatting with Griff during the webinar. I'll post his answer here as soon as I get it. 

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 18 of 83
latest reply

Hi there, I just got off the most attrocious call with Ebay customer service that involved me being passed arounnd to "supervisors" and "managers" of increasing rank yet none of them were able to provide me any additional info, and did not even have my account info pulled up. Clearly I was getting passed around a call center to see who could get rid of me. First I was escalated to  a supervisor who said they were going to submit my issue for "review", when I asked that agent to send me an email confirming as much they all of a sudden had computer issues and needed to call me back in 5-10 minutes when their computer "came back up." I offered to wait on the line and did not want to be placed on hold, at which point I heard the representative take off their head set and set it on the desk, leaving me asking "Hello?" for a least two minutes. I finally got this "supervisor" to get their "manager" who was able to get the "supervisor" to send an email with vague details about my case being reviewed. Not inspiring confidence here, so I asked again for the manager of the call center or contact info for the director.

The last guy I was passed to, Kelly, "Manager of All Sales for North America"  (later in the call he said it was just "Operating Manager"), gave me eBay HQ's number, 408 376 7400. I used my desk phone to call that number with Kelly still on my cell phone. That number asks for a five digit extension to connect or tells callers to use the contact me form on eBay. When I asked Kelly what extension I should dial, they said "17400" which, you might notice is the same extension for the main number, 408 376 7400. When you put in that extension it just hangs up on you! Obviously not the right number, obviously still getting the run around. At this point I had wasted nearly an hour on the call and still zero confidence my request is being reviewed as they stated.

This type of service is really disappointing from a company like eBay. How can I get in contact with someone that will actually be able to assist? Where do I forward this info to get the call reviewed? Surely this is not how eBay wants their users treated.

Message 19 of 83
latest reply

Found out the what caused the problem with upload-then-crop vs crop-then-upload of photos...after more than 3 hours on the phone with at least 7 different CS agents, none of whom had any idea what was wrong.
The problem is: if you try to upload an extremely large photo, eBay reduces it to a much smaller size while uploading. Then, if you try to crop it, guess what? it's too small.
I discovered this myself. None of the CS agents had any idea.

They kept telling me to try this, try that. totally wasted my time.
1. This is a rant. This problem has wasted countless hours of my time.
2. Where can info like this be published, so others don't have to waste time hassling with it?

Message 20 of 83
latest reply

My question is for the ebay shipping team regarding priority mail express padded flat rate envelopes. With the most recent postage increase USPS raised their rates higher for the padded envelopes then they did for the flat document mailers. Given that they are no longer the same price we now don't have that as a shipping option anymore.

Will ebay ever consider giving us the option to use priority mail padded flat rate envelopes from ebay shipping or do they plan to bring it back? In the mean time can I add a stamp to the flat rate envelope package? What is the difference in postage cost with the ebay discount if I wanted to use a stamp in the mean time?
Message 21 of 83
latest reply

if you Sell Similar
a. item size & weight should be copied from the source listing

b. if you then change the category, specifics should not be erased

Message 22 of 83
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vrykalak wrote:

Had a listing removed because it mentioned velcro.
I have posted the identical listing several times in the last few years.
Suddenly, it's a copyright (or some such) violation.
Threatened with being suspended if I make such a mistake again,
A search shows there are 31K listings that mention velcro in the title.
Is Velcro Corp going to take down all those listings?

Hi @vrykalak - It sounds like your listing was removed due to a VeRO report. That's when the Verified Rights Owner reaches out to report listings in violation, but the email you received should confirm. It would include a contact for the company (I'm assuming it was Velcro directly) and you would need to reach out to them for more info.

Since many companies have different trademark/copyright policies, we built our VeRO program to allow for such reports. Take a look at: http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/listing/create-effective-listings/vero-program.html for more information.

Message 23 of 83
latest reply

alan@ebay

Any update on what is happening with Turbo Lister.

I love the program, as do many others.

Message 24 of 83
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wholecellerusa wrote:

Hi Alan,

I have recently (since June 1) noticed that 300+ of my listings ended by itself.

I do realize there's a 'spring cleaning' going on that aims at removing 'duplicate' listings but my listings aren't duplicates because some parts may look or sound the same but it only fits certain vehicles.

Were they removed because of the spring cleaning action or were they removed for some other reason?

We can't say here why your listings would have been removed, but are happy to have it looked into for more details. I'll reach out via email here shortly to get some more info from you!

Message 25 of 83
latest reply

alan@ebay  Survey?  Survey?  Do you mean you attach a Survey at the end of each Chat for us to reply to?  If so then yours truly has totally missed that.  Most Surveys I get come through eBay Messaging.

Thank you Alan!

PS: Anyone who wants to say "Mr Lincoln, where have you been?" then I deserve that!

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 26 of 83
latest reply

@janet9988 wrote:

I thought we never are refunded for insertion fees?????

https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sr?query=372

Here's what we found for "Canceled sale fee credit"

If you cancel a sale because you no longer want to sell the item or the buyer changed their mind, you may be able to get a credit for the final value fee, the insertion fee, or both.  

Insertion fee credit

Normally, insertion fees aren't refundable. However, if your item hasn't sold and you cancel the listing, the insertion fee will be automatically credited to your account.

Final value fee credit

You'll be charged a final value fee when the item is sold. However, if you cancel the sale, the final value fee will be automatically credited to your account after the cancellation is completed. 

Hi @janet9988 - I'm not familiar with many situations in which an Insertion fee would be automatically credited back. Our help pages don't make any mention of it either (http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html#receive). It looks like this is incorrect, or overstated. I'll work on getting it corrected/clarified in the link you shared. Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 27 of 83
latest reply

@Anonymous 

@Anonymous wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Promotions Webinar re-play?

I signed up for the Webinar on Promotions for today but was not able to make it. Is that something that can be accessed and “replayed” at a time of my choosing?

Hi @mr_lincoln! I'm working with the team now to see if we can get our hands on a replay. I'll update you as soon as I hear back!

Why thank you Heidi! 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 28 of 83
latest reply

alan@ebay

Last week we chatted a bit about Ebay’s efforts in removing what they consider old and/or stale listings from the site.  I asked several questions on this subject and most were answered with the announcement Ebay made on June 1st.

The Announcement link for those that may want to see it.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/eBay-Listing-Spring-Cleaning/ba-p/27039412

I sent you an email right after it was posted as there is still one remaining VERY IMPORTANT question that has not gotten a response yet.

When Ebay removes these listings are they simply closing them or are they DELETING them?  As we know, there is a HUGE difference between the two actions.

Is it Ebay’s intention to delete these listing so that a seller has to go through all the work of rewriting a listing and get new pics before they can post the item or items again, instead of allowing them to revise the old listing and repost it?????  Clearly deleting the listings puts a burden on sellers that is just NOT necessary.

Ebay is removing listings that do NOT break ANY policy, which is unfair in the first place.  IMHO Ebay does not have the right to mess with my business at this level.  Certainly Ebay can and does make suggestions to make listings stronger and more appetizing, but to take on the management of my listings that break no policy or rule is just plain wrong. That is MY job!

And IF Ebay is going to be deleting the listings, Ebay is then costing sellers money by the time lost / spent in recreating certain listings.  In what world is that fair to sellers???  If we have to endure this action by Ebay, then closing the listings is the better approach IMHO!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 29 of 83
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vrykalak wrote:

Found out the what caused the problem with upload-then-crop vs crop-then-upload of photos...after more than 3 hours on the phone with at least 7 different CS agents, none of whom had any idea what was wrong.
The problem is: if you try to upload an extremely large photo, eBay reduces it to a much smaller size while uploading. Then, if you try to crop it, guess what? it's too small.
I discovered this myself. None of the CS agents had any idea.

They kept telling me to try this, try that. totally wasted my time.
1. This is a rant. This problem has wasted countless hours of my time.
2. Where can info like this be published, so others don't have to waste time hassling with it?

So sorry that this has taken up so much of your time! Happy to look into an example if you can give us more details so I can get the appropriate help page updated. I'll be reaching out via email shortly.

Message 30 of 83
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: