cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Oct 11th @ 1pm PT - Structured Data

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community, 

Please join us on Wed Oct 11 @ 1 pm PT for a Community chat on the topic of Structured Data. eBay experts will be on hand to answer any question you might have. 

See you then! grin

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 85
latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

@texanna1 wrote:

alan@ebay wrote:

Hi Community, 

@Please join us on Wed Oct 11 @ 1 pm PT for a Community chat on the topic of Structured Data. eBay experts will be on hand to answer any question you might have. 

See you then! grin

Hi Guys....nice to see you again.

I would love for them to fix the Plus Size Petite Women's Clothes. They cannot be listed nor searched for since they took them off the size menu. That menu is a lot set up for men, but I have shows Trinton the problem and he submitted. I called customer service since I can't add to multiples the petite sizes for plus women and she saw the problem and said she would escallate it. It has been over two months and I have so many petite clothes laying here waiting for me to list them. Over a year ago, I worked with someone with EBay and we fixed all of that. Now I have customers messaging me to see if items are petite or not since they are unsure. I do show them, but customers do not have confidence without asking. What can we do next so I can list my items? How can I help get the sizes like 34WP or 3XWP on the size menu. (If you see 34 in. that is inches....waist for a 34WP is 52 - 53 1/2 inches. How can the plus size petite woman have equil ways to find their sizes?  Trinton can tell you I drove him crazy with this. He is such a big help.......................now what?

Hi texanna1, 

Thanks so much for the suggestion. We'll connect with Trinton and share out with the appropriate team. 

Tara

Message 76 of 85
latest reply

Thanks everyone, the chat is now closed. We'll keep working to answer your questions, so check back.

Make sure you're subscribed to get notifications if you're still waiting on an answer.

Thanks!

Message 77 of 85
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

I really just want to know that I am using the correct terms when I list a new item so that they have a chance to sell.

Am I listing right? 

If I use the correct UPC should that work?

Also, is a MPN and a style number similar?  I sell clothing items that have a style number that the manufacturer supplies but they do not call it a MPN.  Is there a special way to put style number in the listings or Item specifics so that they get picked up as structured data?

It's really a bit to close to December to think about redoing all my listings but I want them to sell.

On of the benefits to product identification is that when creating a listing, if there is existing catalog information on the GTIN (UPC, ISBN, EAN) you are listing with, eBay will prefill listing attributes to speed up the listing process and make product information more consistent.

For fashion, we will create a catalog entry when we can tie item attributes to a GTIN (UPC, ISBN, EAN). Where a GTIN is unavailable, we may choose to create a product when we have high enough confidence that a number of different listings are for the same product.

If both an eBay product and GTIN are unavailable/unassigned, we reccomend at least supplying valid item specifics improve searchability.

Thank you.

Message 78 of 85
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

Hi Alan,

Today I listed a brand name shampoo and hair conditioner in one listing.

I clicked the "yes" to the question is this a bundle listing.   Same brand, two different products.

I could input only one UPC even through there are two products.  I chose the shampoo. 

Will my listing eventually be tagged as missing identifiers because of the missing conditioner UPC?

I'm confused as to where on the listing form I should add product identifer's for a multi product listing.  Add extra item specifics with UPC's of other products in the listing?

Also, if only one item of a multi product listing appears in the eBay catalog will that affect the listing visibility in new version of Search and Collections?

Thanks for direction and your helpful advice,

BonnieJo

Hi BonnieJo,

For bundles, we reccomend you provide the product identifier - GTIN (UPC, ISBN, EAN) of the included item of greatest value.  If you are listing two products of the same value it may make more sense to create individual listings and leverage promotions manager to highlight the other item for combined purchase:

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/grow-your-business/boost-sales/manage-promotions.html

Thank you.

Message 79 of 85
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

@tealt wrote:

I sometimes list used books.

EBay’s chart says that used books must be listed with an ISBN or UPC.

How will I be able to list a book which was published before ISBNs and UPCs existed?

Will eBay software allow “does not apply” for such books?

Will lack of ISBN and UPC hurt my book in search if later editions/revisions of the same title have. ISBNs or UPCs?

Same question for media: 
I have had several videotapes for sale that had no ISBN/UPC. 
The SAME video has been re-released, with the same cover, the same release date, the same everything...except this package has a UPC/ISBN and the one I have doesn't.
I have been told it's illegal for me to use the UPC/ISBN for the re-release, because it's not on the video I have in hand.
Does that make sense?

Similar to books, if a GTIN (UPC, ISBN, EAN) was not assigned by the manufacturer - Does Not Apply is an acceptable substitute.  

We are currently looking into information that you might be able to provide to emulate a GTIN.  We will update the community when we have more information.

Thank you.

Message 80 of 85
latest reply

@texanna1 wrote:

alan@ebay wrote:

Hi Community, 

@Please join us on Wed Oct 11 @ 1 pm PT for a Community chat on the topic of Structured Data. eBay experts will be on hand to answer any question you might have. 

See you then! grin

Hi Guys....nice to see you again.

I would love for them to fix the Plus Size Petite Women's Clothes. They cannot be listed nor searched for since they took them off the size menu. That menu is a lot set up for men, but I have shows Trinton the problem and he submitted. I called customer service since I can't add to multiples the petite sizes for plus women and she saw the problem and said she would escallate it. It has been over two months and I have so many petite clothes laying here waiting for me to list them. Over a year ago, I worked with someone with EBay and we fixed all of that. Now I have customers messaging me to see if items are petite or not since they are unsure. I do show them, but customers do not have confidence without asking. What can we do next so I can list my items? How can I help get the sizes like 34WP or 3XWP on the size menu. (If you see 34 in. that is inches....waist for a 34WP is 52 - 53 1/2 inches. How can the plus size petite woman have equil ways to find their sizes?  Trinton can tell you I drove him crazy with this. He is such a big help.......................now what?

Thanks texanna1!

I will pass the feedback on to our team. They will need to review the request to see how quickly we can implement it.

Message 81 of 85
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

@long_live_the_seller

I do not know if I need to revise my listings.  How co I know that I do not have the correct term "structured data" in my listings?

I use Item specifics.  If those are not part of structured data where do I put Sturctured data in my listings?

I can't revise something if I do not know it is missing.

Item Specifics are definitely a type of Structured Data. In addition to Item Specifics, if you have access to GTIN (UPC, ISBN, EAN) I would reccomend providing that information as well if you aren't already.

For more information on the category availability/requirement on GTIN, visit

ebay.com/requiredidentifiers

Thank you.

Message 82 of 85
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

<soapbox on>

You really want to help sellers:

• Slow down the changes! 
  • Talk to us BEFORE the changes are put in place, multiple times, multiple venues!
  • TELL US when you going to run some sort of "test feature" such as Best Offer on Auctions.
  • Don't use us a guinia pigs for the "next great idea" without telling us.
  • Get more eBay staff to address issues raised on the community boards
  • Don't use twitter and facebook as your primary support services, many of us have little use for either and can't access them when issues actually arise.
  • You should have policies and procedures in place for IT planning, development, testing, user acceptance testing and end user assistance.  They are obviously not being enforced.  Start enforcing them.
  • Have the same rules and policies for non-USA sellers as USA sellers.

I could go on but  </Soapbox off>

Yes. YES. Y*E*S!!!

Great suggestions!

Thank you.

Message 83 of 85
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

<soapbox on>

You really want to help sellers:

• Slow down the changes! 
  • Talk to us BEFORE the changes are put in place, multiple times, multiple venues!
  • TELL US when you going to run some sort of "test feature" such as Best Offer on Auctions.
  • Don't use us a guinia pigs for the "next great idea" without telling us.
  • Get more eBay staff to address issues raised on the community boards
  • Don't use twitter and facebook as your primary support services, many of us have little use for either and can't access them when issues actually arise.
  • You should have policies and procedures in place for IT planning, development, testing, user acceptance testing and end user assistance.  They are obviously not being enforced.  Start enforcing them.
  • Have the same rules and policies for non-USA sellers as USA sellers.

I could go on but  </Soapbox off>

Good Grief, I couldn't agree more.

While I certainly like some of the changes, hitting us with them right and left at this time of the year is counter productive for many sellers.  This isn't something new we have been saying to Ebay, yet EVERY year they wait to start implementing many changes that cause sellers to have to learn about them, implement them and revise listings or whatever they need to do to comply.  ALL of that takes away time from being able to get more listings posted for the holiday season because we are too darn busy just trying to keep of the the announced changes.

Then on top of the Announced changes, there are the SURPRISE changes that create their own set of problems.  Most recently are the changes to the FB posting pages.  What a hot mess.  Why OH why does Ebay continue to change things that do NOT need any help instead of fixing known problems.  And on top of that the changes to the FB page cause more work for sellers.  Among the problems are you can NOT repeat the same FB comments.  Every FB you leave must be different by at least one character.  You can't enter in bulk anymore.  And more.  It just adds to our workload, WHY???

Then there is this darn Make Offer button that now appears on some auctions.  What the heck?  Again no heads up from Ebay as they apparently do not think we need or deserve to be warned about stuff like this.  This change as so many issues it is ridiculous.  We can't turn it off either.  This is a forced thing by Ebay that wants to be my "Partner".  Why does my Partner feel that these surprises are fair, much less productive.  

Partner does not mean that one party gets to do whatever they want, when they want without consideration to the other partners.  We are suppose to be working together here.  I'm more than happy to work WITH Ebay, but we desperately need them to STOP working against us.

Excellent feedback.

I will share these thoughts with the team.

Thank you.

Message 84 of 85
latest reply

Well put. I agree, that we need to think more about how sellers interface with the site and provide structured data.

We have rolled out some checks that validate UPC length and configuration.  We will continue to expand structure and input validation where we can.

Thank you.

Message 85 of 85
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: