cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, May 8 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everybody!

Join us here at 1 PM PT on Wednesday, May 8 for the Weekly Community Chat with eBay Staff. No set topic this week, so feel free to share your general buying and selling questions. 

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Why these scams?

Untitled Diagram.drawio-9.jpg

Message 31 of 53
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote: ... I have over 100 paper items, that I can't sell because shipping costs almost $5 for even one ounce.... Could eBay take a look at this policy, and maybe revise it?

When eBay started using tracking for seller evaluations, there was plenty of clamor from sellers of lower-value items that can be mailed as letters or flats, without tracking, such as stamps, stickers, and cards.    That was many years ago, so clearly eBay isn't going to change this policy.  Despite the policy, many of those Sellers are still successful on eBay. You can't be a Top Rated Seller if you don't use tracking, but there are no "defects" per se for omitting it.

Current online price (i.e., eBay label) for a First Class package up to 4 ounces ranges from $2.66 to $3.09.  That's not "almost $5".

___ 2019 first class.gif

Message 32 of 53
latest reply

Please consider allowing (and then expecting sellers should use) variation listings in the Books category.

As they can't use variation listings, the large book warehousers separately list multiples of each title, one per condition (Acceptable, Good, Very Good, Like New, Brand New, with variations of the same conditions for ex-libris and missing dust jacket). But they're all at the same price.

So each book warehouser can have 5 to 6 or more listings for the same title at the same price, with condition the only variation.  (Some include duplicates per condition, and are also listing multiples of the same titles at the same time in other Book subcategories, but that's another topic.) 

Listing like this is allowed under the duplicate listing policy, but with the price the same for all conditions for the same book title, this has an enormously disproportionate effect on the market.  

Getting very tired of eBay telling me a book in Like New condition should be priced the same as a book in Acceptable condition.

Without being able to use a single variation listing, this essentially has the same effect as duplicate listings overwhelming buyers.

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 33 of 53
latest reply

Hi @golfingaddict, if you see a change on the site when looking at your listing, that is the same thing all other members will see. Sometimes when a revision occurs the listing can take up to 24 hours to update, but you wouldn't see the changes yourself until this happens. Generally this is related to changes that would be seen as "big changes", such as the item title or item specifics, but the price or handling time would update right away in most instances. 

The same would be true when using the Bulk Tool - if you see the change, then your buyers will see the change. When processing revisions in bulk, there can be times where the revisions process in "batches" depending on how many listings you have updated. A few hundred listings or less should change right away, but if you are processing a few thousand listings you may find that the changes stagger throughout the day. In most instances, however, revisions would be immediate.

Putting your store on vacation and effectively hiding your listings is immediate, though their reappearance in search may take up to 24 hours once you return and take your store off of vacation.

To summarize: changes you submit may take up to 24 to appear on the site. Once you see the change applied to your listing, all other members will see the same. Ending or hiding listings will apply immediately, while publishing or unhiding listings may take up to 24 hours before they are searchable.

One last question related to updating.

Recently I updated the handling time in all of my listings.

I did this at approx. 7:30PM on a Saturday night.

I had an issue and was discussing the problem with customer support and they insisted (and even quoted a time) that I updated my listings at approx. 3:00AM Sunday morning, about 8 hours after I updated them.

That is when I first heard that updating the handling time was delayed and I should not count on them actually being updated for over 24 hours.

Why the discrepancy?  Should sellers know this if they update or change their listings?

When I put my store on vacation and hide my listings I always try to do it at least 24 hours before I need to leave but I am getting conflicting information about changing/updating handling times.

Can you clarify?

Thank you.

Message 34 of 53
latest reply

I look forward to hearing from you. Only ONE person at customer service had a reply that was a suggestion. It was weak at best, but I believe shows the lack of watching the watchers.
Message 35 of 53
latest reply

Part 1-

When buyers purchase multiple items (not multiples of the same item) and a seller combines shipping- delivery status is not updated on the Seller Hub Orders page.

I can click on the tracking number to see that all items were delivered, but the status on the Orders page is stuck at Shipped. This started a couple of months ago for all multi-item orders.

Part 2-

Please submit feedback to add a search filter showing all orders that do not have a delivered status. It will help to manage any orders that have shipping delays.

Part 3-

On all other Hub pages- like active listings- we can show or minimize the search filters at the top of the page. On the orders page the ability to minimize the search filters went away when the new reports feature was added. Can you ask them to add back the ability to hide the search filters on the Orders page?

Message 36 of 53
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

Hi, With the plethoria of issues currently facing the new label flow could y'all push for them to bring back the link to the classic flow until the current list of deficiencies are addressed? 

It's really sad that eBay claims to be a tech company and does such poor QA and UAT when releasing updates.

Hi @dtexley3 - there isn't any plan to roll back the new label platform. With any site-wide rollout there may be hiccups, but we work to get them resolved quickly. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 37 of 53
latest reply

Good afternoon eBay Support Team!

Subject:  New Sold Page Format

I was helping a local Seller who I helped get started on eBay.  They ran into an issue when a Buyer, who had not paid for an item, had trouble with their PayPal account and messaged the Seller asking them to Cancel the order.  In this situation, the New Sold Page has the "Send invoice" button live but the pull down menu does NOT have a choice to Cancel the order.  When the Send Invoice is processed it does not clear and change to Print label like the old Classic My ebay Sold page does ... I posted about this before and that it should be changed but was shot down in flames ...

While I know there is a Cancel link in the Seller Hub, this Seller has not activated that nor did I have the time to go through it with them ... we finally found a round about way through The Resolution Center to Cancel the purchase but had I not been there, they never would have found it.

Please consider adding a Cancel function to the pull down menu on the New Sold Page even when an item is unpaid for.

Next I had them open their Quick Listing Tool to explain the "Require immediate payment" on Fixed Price - GTC listings ... guess what, that choice was NOT on the form ... errnt, needless to say I was a bit embarrassed for eBay's poor layouts on the new forms and page layouts ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 38 of 53
latest reply

And, you can get tracking on First Class Packages for  minimal fee.

Always a newbie!
Message 39 of 53
latest reply

I have 5 active selling ID's.

4 of them have the ability to send offers to watchers.

1 ID does not have that feature.

Is this something that is being slowly rolled out?

When can I anticipate that it will be available to that account?

I use the same browsers for the ID's and use seller hub for all.

Thank you.

Message 40 of 53
latest reply

@tree*fern wrote:

Please consider allowing (and then expecting sellers should use) variation listings in the Books category.

As they can't use variation listings, the large book warehousers separately list multiples of each title, one per condition (Acceptable, Good, Very Good, Like New, Brand New, with variations of the same conditions for ex-libris and missing dust jacket). But they're all at the same price.

So each book warehouser can have 5 to 6 or more listings for the same title at the same price, with condition the only variation.  (Some include duplicates per condition, and are also listing multiples of the same titles at the same time in other Book subcategories, but that's another topic.) 

Listing like this is allowed under the duplicate listing policy, but with the price the same for all conditions for the same book title, this has an enormously disproportionate effect on the market.  

Getting very tired of eBay telling me a book in Like New condition should be priced the same as a book in Acceptable condition.

Without being able to use a single variation listing, this essentially has the same effect as duplicate listings overwhelming buyers.

Hi @tree*fern - this is a really useful suggestion. I can't make you promises, but I will definitely get it to the right folks - I think a drop down variation listing for 'condition' would be a useful feature for books. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 41 of 53
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pursesbrasplusmore wrote:

Unpaid items cost ebay money in lost sales by removing the item from search for days & cost the seller lost time & money.  Will you ask the appropriate department to add to buyer’s best offer page, “You enter into a legally binding contract to purchase an item when you commit to buy an item, your offer for an item is accepted, or you accept an offer.”  (See #7 of User Agreement).  I’ve looked & have found no way to suggest this from the buyer’s Best Offer page.  It is stated on the seller's response best offer page, but not the buyer's best offer page.  Thank you.

Hi @pursesbrasplusmore, the best offer submission already informs a buyer they are entering in to a contract to pay for the item if the seller accepts the offer. If you are seeing something different, definitely share a screenshot with us so I can look into this further. 

This is what is shown to a buyer currently: 

best_offer_submission.JPG

Message 42 of 53
latest reply

WWhy doers eBay allow Sellers to list things improperly? for example, I am looking for a 100% leather wallet. I get thousands of search results that are PU leather. It is so hard to shop with these mislisted items! 

Message 43 of 53
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

Part 1-

When buyers purchase multiple items (not multiples of the same item) and a seller combines shipping- delivery status is not updated on the Seller Hub Orders page.

I can click on the tracking number to see that all items were delivered, but the status on the Orders page is stuck at Shipped. This started a couple of months ago for all multi-item orders.

Part 2-

Please submit feedback to add a search filter showing all orders that do not have a delivered status. It will help to manage any orders that have shipping delays.

Part 3-

On all other Hub pages- like active listings- we can show or minimize the search filters at the top of the page. On the orders page the ability to minimize the search filters went away when the new reports feature was added. Can you ask them to add back the ability to hide the search filters on the Orders page?

Thanks for this @coffeebean832 - I'll get it to the Seller Hub folks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 44 of 53
latest reply

Hi everyone, thanks for joining us today. We're closing the thread as the hour is up. Chat with you again same time next week. 

Take care! 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 45 of 53
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: