cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, January 20 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brittanie@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

I have a number of managed payments that show "completed," but there is no money in my bank account. The bank says they cannot see pending payments.

I have verified the name is exactly as it is on eBay. In a comment on another thread, a person said they had to add their middle name on eBay, but eBay only has a space for "FIRST NAME" and "LAST NAME"?

The first payout was on Jan. 11, it has now been at least 7 business days, so all the proper time has passed. I have tried for days to get someone from customer service to call me back, at the time it advised 130 minutes of wait time, they called back 3 hours later and I did not hear the phone.

The next day and every day since it has said either there are too many people in the queue and they can't call me back, or that it's too late in the day and no one will be able to call me back before they close. This has happened for three days straight.

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 2 of 57
latest reply

Shipping seems to be a hot topic around eBay. With the collapse of the USPS and many sellers unwilling to move away from the cheapest USPS rates on their own, is there going to be a push to sellers to give options for better services from the USPS like first class or other carriers like UPS and FedEx? Better yet could using one or the other services become a mandatory option where the service is available?

I have got stuff that is “in transit” for now its second month I purchased from eBay and I cannot see the point of buying anything and paying the media rate and having it never delivered. If I am the one paying should not I have a choice? I have asked sellers and they have declined and its my policy not to pay for the bottom tier services, so when I get an unwilling seller, I simply do not buy but I would like to see that change.

-----

Edit: a reply to your question can be found here

Message 3 of 57
latest reply

@kyrailfan666 wrote:

Shipping seems to be a hot topic around eBay. With the collapse of the USPS and many sellers unwilling to move away from the cheapest USPS rates on their own, is there going to be a push to sellers to give options for better services from the USPS like first class or other carriers like UPS and FedEx? Better yet could using one or the other services become a mandatory option where the service is available?

I have got stuff that is “in transit” for now its second month I purchased from eBay and I cannot see the point of buying anything and paying the media rate and having it never delivered. If I am the one paying should not I have a choice? I have asked sellers and they have declined and its my policy not to pay for the bottom tier services, so when I get an unwilling seller, I simply do not buy but I would like to see that change.

Good grief we have enough problems without overstating or misrepresenting something as important as USPS.  

I get it there are SERIOUS issues, but USPS and NOT "collapsed".

I ship primarily Media Mail and I ship a lot of packages every week.  The vast majority of my packages arrive in great shape, however some are a bit late.  That certainly is true.  

I get it that there are issues.  Some are more localized than others.  But misrepresenting what is happening helps no one.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 57
latest reply

@haidaway wrote:

I have a number of managed payments that show "completed," but there is no money in my bank account. The bank says they cannot see pending payments.

I have verified the name is exactly as it is on eBay. In a comment on another thread, a person said they had to add their middle name on eBay, but eBay only has a space for "FIRST NAME" and "LAST NAME"?

The first payout was on Jan. 11, it has now been at least 7 business days, so all the proper time has passed. I have tried for days to get someone from customer service to call me back, at the time it advised 130 minutes of wait time, they called back 3 hours later and I did not hear the phone.

The next day and every day since it has said either there are too many people in the queue and they can't call me back, or that it's too late in the day and no one will be able to call me back before they close. This has happened for three days straight.

@haidaway. I added my middle name with a space in the first name box. 

You can't use a po box for the registration address.  Double check that your birthday is correct too.  Some sellers have been tripped up by that, although it should have been correct to begin with. 

The best time to request a call back is 5am PT when they open. 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 5 of 57
latest reply

My item listing title - "VINTAGE FEDERAL SIGNAL CORP SIREN ELECTRONICS CONTROL PART? CPA58H 12 VOLT WIRE?"

There are literally hundreds of Federal Signal sirens being sold & already sold on ebay, I have had this removed twice.  Can anyone explain why mine is different?  My first try I used the term police siren, I removed the term police, it is not an international listing.

This is the ebay policy;

"The following items can’t be listed for sale on eBay:

- Law enforcement and other government-issued uniforms, badges, or accessories such as hats, jackets, shirts, or replicas of these items
- Official emergency lighting systems or sirens, including lenses or LEDs for these systems"

Yet there are thousands of these items currently on ebay, this is absolutely absurd.  This can not be explained with any logic what so ever.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 6 of 57
latest reply

Assuming all of the following criteria are met-
- Tracking confirms delivery to the address on the order
- Tracking was uploaded to the transaction before the INR was filed
- The seller responded to the INR

INRs will eventually time out after 21 days- but what happens if the seller escalates after a few days when the option appears? Will the case close out in the seller's favor?

I know it used to close out for the seller- but changes were made to the process last year so I wanted to check on what happens when a seller escalates.

_____

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

@haidaway wrote:

As someone who is not an expert on managed payments I may not be able to address your question in its entirety. If you have been notified to register for managed payments you are able to request a call back from a payments-trained teammate by accessing any of the Help Pages related to payments and using the 'Have us call you' feature at the bottom of the page.

The information provided is accurate as of today's date (01-20-2021) but may become outdated in the future. If you are reading this at a later date please consider checking the Help Pages or request a call back from a managed payments teammate who can provide the most up to date information.

@haidaway the bank account owner and the person or business identified in your seller profile must match. Make sure that the owner of the bank account matches the name of the seller provided during the registration process. 

I don't have an answer regarding middle names, so you will need to speak with the payments team for clarification on this. Try going here and selecting the have us call you option at the bottom of the page. I know the callback times are long right now but this is the best route to get answers to your questions.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 8 of 57
latest reply

Hello to all. I have a question/concern regarding the sales reports. When I do a custom duration, say November 1-November 30, it shows totals and a graph for the time specified.  To the right, it shows a box where one can download the report. So I download the report. When I total the columns in the report, they don’t match the graph and numbers above the graph. For every month I do it, the numbers don’t match.

I have been trying to get an explanation as to why this is happening, and I am currently on day 5 of waiting for a call back from the managed payments team. On previous conversations I was actually told its off by only so much. I already know that! Why is there a difference?

What I have concluded is that the numbers generated above the graph are not from the totals in the downloaded report. So where is the other information coming from? How can one “balance” their sales/taxes/selling costs and net sales? Since this has been ongoing for at least 4 weeks, it’s clear the report is not going to change. Fine. But can someone please tell me where the other information is so I can “balance” my books on my end?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

@kyrailfan666 wrote:

Hi @kyrailfan666 - that's definitely a long time to wait for a purchase, I'm sorry to hear about that. We allow sellers to select the courier and service of their choosing when selling items on our site. This includes USPS, UPS and FedEx as major carriers, as well as regional and freight shippers. We do not require the use of a particular service or carrier, and there is no plan for that to change in the future. 

I think that you're on the right track by messaging a seller prior to purchase to see if they'd be willing to use a service you'd prefer. If they aren't able to meet your request it may be worth continuing to search for a seller who will. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 57
latest reply

I just (12:45 p.m. EST, 1/20/21) received a call form someone claiming to be from eBay.  They said that they wanted to discuss Managed Payments.  In the conversation they said, "You know, you won't be able to use eBay if you don't sign up for Managed Payments" Is this true?

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

When I click on ship your next item, it seems to go to a random item instead of the next one in sequence.

_____

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

Hi,

I happened to be looking at my own personal info to be able to answer a question for a member, and was surprised to be greeted with this banner -

Your account is out of compliance and payments may be held until you address these issues.  You need to provide a primary contact.

Now, I'm retired, so I am in no hurry to add the info, but I would like to know exactly where this goes.  My name appears in at least 3 places in my business account info, so I am curious where else can it possibly be needed?

Wouldn't it be good to send a message when you want more info?

thanks!

Sue

------

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 13 of 57
latest reply

@kyrailfan666 wrote:

No, it will never be mandatory on who you have to ship with ... a lot of Sellers don't have UPS or FedEx as viable options in their area ... like us.  Of those two the closest one (round trip) is about 20 miles, the other one is further AND neither has Free or Dependable pick up where we live.  USPS for us is a 4 mile round trip ... you just can't beat that.  USPS back logs are starting to bleed down, lines at the Post Office are gone and have been since the New Year ...

If you want a different shipping service ask Sellers, politely, if they will consider it ... if they don't then consider purchasing from someone else.  

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 14 of 57
latest reply

@kyrailfan666  just FYI, in some situations a seller may already be choosing to offer additional shipping options like UPS and FedEx ground when they list the item......but eBay in their infinite wisdom will sometimes choose *not* to display all of the options the seller selected if in their estimation the lower service has a similar timeframe or offers a similar "value".

Their estimation of course being based on the same unrealistic ETAs that are causing issues for buyers and sellers in the first place. 🙄

Obviously if you contact the seller and their response is not satisfactory, then moving on to a different seller is probably the best choice, but it's also important to know in some cases that what is displayed on the listing itself may not be entirely controlled by the seller.

Personally, if we're going to ask for a "push" for anything, I would favor "pushing" eBay to go back to displaying all options the seller chooses to include at time of listing, and let buyers and sellers agree amongst themselves what service and price is the best fit.

Message 15 of 57
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: