cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Jan 10th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please join us today at 1 pm Pacific today for our weekly chat with the Community Team. There is no set topic this week, so feel free to ask us any of your eBay buying & selling questions.

The thread will open for replies at 1 pm and will remain open for one hour.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone today! slight smile

Message 1 of 101
latest reply
100 REPLIES 100

alan@ebay wrote:

You should be receiving acceptance scans for your packages. If there are post offices you're having difficulty obtaining acceptance scans from, please email the specific details to griff@ebay.com. He'll follow-up on it. 

There was a thread just today where a member has a postmaster that 1) will not scan any packages and 2) retailiates against people who complain about the failure to scan.  Complaints that go higher up the ladder come back to the postmaster and they retaliate again.

We can post this info in the thread, but will it really resolve anything?  Just curious?

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 61 of 101
latest reply

@househunt35_0, this is in reference to eBay branded shipping supplies, available here: http://stores.ebay.com/ebay-Shipping-Supplies.

@househunt35_0 wrote:

Box sizes?  What's this?  I just started selling and I'm scrambling to find my own boxes.  What am I missing?

Message 62 of 101
latest reply

@scga912 wrote:

alan@ebay wrote:

Hi @scga912

You should be receiving acceptance scans for your packages. If there are post offices you're having difficulty obtaining acceptance scans from, please email the specific details to griff@ebay.com. He'll follow-up on it. 

Thanks. 

alan@ebay

I got one.  The very first picture in my post is of the acceptance scan.   That was the point of my post.

Acceptance eBay Shipment Awry.JPG

Hi @scga912

If you have an acceptance scan within your handling time, then you have nothing to be worried about. Even if the item is delivered late, we'll credit you as you shipped on-time. '

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 63 of 101
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@ittybitnot wrote:

I just read today on a news/information ecommerce website that ebay is now going to charge the final value fee to a seller when the item is removed due to a "VERO" takedown.  The letter sent by ebay was included in  the article for all to see.  

Is this true, or some sort of "fake news"?  Has there been an announcement or policy change that we can view?

eBay does not charge commissions for unsold items that are removed for VERO copyright complaints. When an item is removed for VERO, Listing Fees are credited back for unsold listings. However, Final Value Fees for previously completed transactions are not credited – as was likely the case for this customer.

Just to be clear, here is a link to the article so everyone can read it in full: 

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2018/1/1515527556.html

The article does claim that the $1,400 item was unsold, not sold. (There's a further link later in the article to an eBay Member to Member posting (here) from a British eBay seller who was dinged FVF charges for unsold concert tickets that he withdrew from listing the day before the concert, though that is not VeRO-related.)

Message 64 of 101
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@scga912 wrote:

USPS is dropping the ball with acceptance scans and uploading acceptance information.  This isn't an isolated thing either. 

Friday morning (1/5/18) I dropped off a package and it was scanned at the counter (10:39 a.m.) and I have the receipt.  The only information USPS shows (as well as eBay) is that the package was "accepted" at the sort facility at 1:54 a.m. on Saturday 1/6/2018.

And now the package is delayed.  It took the scenic route from Savannah GA to Jax FL then to NJ to go back to Florida.   Expected Delivery Date was Tuesday 1/9/2018. 

I'm likely going to be stuck with a late shipment rate showing on my dashboard for a year for something that I didn't earn.   It's frustrating

Just sayin...

USPS Acceptance Shipment gone awry.gifUSPS Tracking Shipment Gone awry.GIF

Hi @scga912

Also, you can contact eBay Customer Service to have late shipment issues looked into. We can remove defects or manually reinstate you back into Top Rated if an error caused a loss of this status. A receipt from the Post Office would be sufficient documentation to support us protecting your account and Customer Service will be happy to review this. 

Thanks. 

I was told last week--by eBay CS--that "tracking indicates late delivery" is unappealable, because eBay "can only go by the computer"...specifically, that they don't care if I have a receipt: what the tracking page says, goes.
So, forget the idea that such a ding will be reversed, or that you can get TRS status back if you lose it due to one or more such errors. Ain't gonna happen.

Message 65 of 101
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

this is working as currently designed and is part of the reason that adjusting handling time is recommended while a seller is on vacation. 

I have been using Vacation settings  for years.   6-8 times a year  at least. 

I have never had a buyer purchase while I had the items hidden..

And I have never seen this "recommendation" to change handling time.

Where is this?

It's in the knowledge base, some of the other posts in this thread are us asking they add it to the vacation settings page too.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 66 of 101
latest reply

@mendelsons wrote:

Where do I submit suggestions for changing something on the main listing page.

I have been submitting problems with combine shipping totals for buyers for years and eBay seems to have a deaf ear to my concerns but this might be a work around.

Each and every month for the last 5 -8 years we get several buyers asking for combined shipping totals prior to buying and notice when we quote them they hardly ever select the rate we quoted them even though the quote was obtained by using your shipping calculator in the listing.    Is there a way (i know theres a way) to change the wording from "See Details" next to the shipping cost in the listing to "See More Shipping Options"    "See Details" I bet is the least clicked item on the listing page besides the buy it now button (lately) and it needs to be updated.   
So we end up refunding the buyers shipping cost to the quoted rate we gave them prior to purchase.  I'm not sure but I can bet there are more potential buyers turned off or run away when they see only ONE shippng option and the do not know there are several available but the page is hiding them.

Thanks,

Rick

I agree - it's been a pain since they changed the wording. A lot of people on opposite coasts may miss out on a lot of what they want because they don't know there are other cheaper options available.

Hello I reported this issue back on  Aug 2nd during Community Chat. Post #38

eBay does not list the "Book Category" or its 12 sub categories on its "ALL CATEGORIES" page.

Which from a buyers perspective when they land on the "ALL CATEGORIES"

page that states  "All Ctegories" (on eBay) this looks like eBay is no longer in the book buisness. 

People who search eBay on Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. are shown this:

"Categories"

"All Ctegories on eBay - Shop, Explore and Discover from a ...."

https://www.google.com/search?q=eBay&oq=eBay&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65l2j0l3.3136j0j8&sourceid=chrome&...

eBay   Google Search.png

All Categories   Browse and Discover more   eBay.png

As I said back on August 02, 2017 :

"Once again the "Books" category and its 12 sub categories is not listed on eBay.com's  newly redisigned "All Categories" page. The exclusion of Books from this page is very disturbing to me as a book seller, since the term that is used is "All Categories". This infers that all of the categories on eBay are shown and represented on this page.  As a buyer I might conclude that eBay does not sell books at all. When in fact eBay.com has over 62 MILLION listings within the "Books" category. Furthermore those 62 MILLION book listings represent approxiametly 5.5% of all of eBay.com's listings.

Is this an oversight or is this intentional?

If the exclusion of the "Books" category is intentional, can you provide me with an answer or a reason for the exclusion from the eBay "All Categories" page?"

The Holiday season has already come and gone, with no fix.

Can you give book sellers on eBay like myself an ETA as to when this is going to get fixed?

Message 68 of 101
latest reply

What I would like to know is anyone working on how badly the search function is?

I posted about my experience on the Seller board trying to buy a 9x12 area rug on ebay which turned out to be an impossible task.

Problems encountered:

Totally unrelated products being displayed

Sort lowest price first does NOT work with multi product listings. The program is taking into account all those listings that may have a 9x12 rug within the varitables (even if out of stock) but is displaying the lowest price for the smallest cheapest rug the seller has.   The only alternative I had to finding a 9 x 12 rug was to sort through 30K listings and look at each one.  Talk about a fustrating buyer experience!

Sort does not work correctly when you chose, lowest price and  US only either as sellers from China still pop up.

If you want people to buy the stuff on ebay, they have to be able to find it.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 69 of 101
latest reply

I use ebays same day handling.  Why is ebay telling me that my shipping is overdue for foreign buyers who buy after my cutoff time .

My cutoff time is 8:15 am EST, If a domestic buyer buys ebay displays (in seller hub manage all orders)the correct date as the next business day. But if a foreign buyer buys an item after 8:15 am EST its shows shipping overdue ship by todays date.

Does ebay have a problem in knowing other countries times in relation to my EST 8:15 cutoff?

If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful. If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click "Accept as Solution."

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 70 of 101
latest reply

When a seller decides to refund a buyer that has shipped an item back without using the eBay return flow and it is past the time limit to open a case/request, can the seller refund through PayPal and deduct ALL associated selling costs, including FVFs ?

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 71 of 101
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

alan@ebay wrote:

There was a thread just today where a member has a postmaster that 1) will not scan any packages and 2) retailiates against people who complain about the failure to scan.  Complaints that go higher up the ladder come back to the postmaster and they retaliate again.

We can post this info in the thread, but will it really resolve anything?  Just curious?

Hi @dtexley3

That doesn't sound good. I can't guarantee a resolution. I can't travel to the said post office and watch over the employees that work there - but we can raise the issue with management and ask that coaching be provided. 

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 72 of 101
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

this is working as currently designed and is part of the reason that adjusting handling time is recommended while a seller is on vacation. 

I have been using Vacation settings  for years.   6-8 times a year  at least. 

I have never had a buyer purchase while I had the items hidden..

And I have never seen this "recommendation" to change handling time.

Where is this?

There is no recommendation on the vacation settings to change handling time?

I simply do not understand why a seller would need to adjust handling time on vacation settings if the seller says they are away and hides listing.

Where are you getting this information and why are you suggesting that vacation settings (hide listings) do not work? 

I have an idea.. Fix it..

If I hide my  listings so that no one can purchase my items, that is what I expect to happen.

I don't expect to have to adjust my handling time and deal with sales while I am away.

(this has never happened to me but are you suggeting it could?)

Message 73 of 101
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I pretty much stopped shipping internationally, but had a recent customer talk me into it.  The package is supposed to be going to Italy, but tracking shows it is on the way to its destination --- Salt Lake City UT.

Has the address formatting changed lately, which makes 5 digits numbers in foreign addresses appear in the same location and appearance as domestic zip codes?  The address looked different than I recalled from the past when I never had this issue.

I also found a recent thread where other sellers are now having the same problem---international shipments are going to domestic locations with the same "zip".

It would be really nice if ebay and paypal spent the hour or so to verify the entered shipping addresses. It's not so bad for USPS, but for those who use UPS or Fed Ex get nailed for about 15.00 for an address correction that could be stopped a the source.

alan@ebay wrote:

@scga912 wrote:

alan@ebay wrote:

Hi @scga912

Thanks. 

alan@ebay

I got one.  The very first picture in my post is of the acceptance scan.   That was the point of my post.

Hi @scga912

If you have an acceptance scan within your handling time, then you have nothing to be worried about. Even if the item is delivered late, we'll credit you as you shipped on-time. '

Thanks. 

alan@ebay

That's the problem.  The "tracking" info shown on USPS, and thus eBay, doesn't acknowledge the acceptance scan.  It only shows accepted at the sort facility early next morning.  Look at the pictures in my original post. 

As far as eBay knows, it was accepted a day late. They can't see the physical paper receipt in my hands.

The clerk did her job.  I did mine.  USPS tracking isn't accurate and as a result sellers suffer.

- Suzanne -
Message 75 of 101
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: