cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Dec 27th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Please join the Community team here at 1 pm Pacific today for our weekly chat. We do not have a set topic for this session, so please feel free to ask us your eBay related buying & selling questions.

The thread will open for replies at 1 pm and will remain open for one hour.

Chat then! slight_smile

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Anonymous
Not applicable

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I sincerely hope all of you had some great time off with your family and friends to enjoy the holidays!!!

Further I hope all of you have a fantastic New Year!!  

I want you to know I personally appreciate and respect the hard work all of you do to help us keep the community moving in the right direction.  The follow through of the CSRs on this thread are exceptional and I for one deeply appreciate the hard work.  It is frustrating at times, but the rewards can be great.  I want you all to know it has not gone unnoticed by me and I'm VERY grateful to have this thread as a resource with people that really do care!!!

THANK YOU !!!  

Thank you @mam98031! My Holidays were definitely filled with Colombian food, relaxation and love heart_eyes

I greatly appreciate your kind words and am happy to have been able to help you throughout 2017. Here is to all the great work we will do together in the New Year champagne

Care to share? Smiley LOL

I don't live in one of the good states.

I made them at home and it was a delicious Christmas!

Nom!Nom!

Colombian hot chocolateColombian hot chocolate

Colombian BuñuelosColombian Buñuelos

Message 46 of 67
latest reply

Hi @d-k_treasures, within the context of @mam98031's example there would be no need to send additional messages, as an eBay Money Back Guarantee claim has been opened. We only need messages for partial refunds when there is no cancellation or eBay Money Back Guarantee case related to the transaction. Check out my follow up comment for more details slight smile

Oh here is a new one for me, I didn't know this.  Are you saying that if we have a buyer that we determine should be refunded [in full or partial] for whatever reason we determine and there is no cancellation in Ebay, Request or Claim.  We can issue the refund and then send the buyer an explanation via M2M and no defect will occur?  Did I get that right?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 47 of 67
latest reply

We've also seen a few threads lately where 'free local pickup' is showing up as 'free shipping' on the app or mobile site.

Can anyone who uses either of those two confirm that? I won't download the app and I stay out of mobile only sites.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I have a suggestion for an improvement to the Return Process.  More specifically for an INR.

Let's say a buyer files an INR because they have not yet received the item.  In checking the tracking, it is discovered that the package is on it's way back to the seller because it was undeliverable as addressed.

Using the format that is currently available to a seller, there is no way to handle this without having to get Ebay involved.  Some kind of mechansim within the Request would be nice so that a seller could select the reason for an incorrect buyer address and to issue a partial refund [less original shipping, whether free shipping or stated shipping].  

Hi @mam98031, great suggestion! I will pass this along for review. At the moment, if a buyer provides an incorrect address eBay would protect the seller and close the case in their favor - however, I know that some sellers are happy to issue a partial refund minus shipping costs for a mistake like this. Currently, we would recommend issuing a refund directly through the PayPal transaction and contacting eBay for any potential fee credits. Having a process for this on the site could help create easier resolutions slight_smile

Did you forget to mention the part about sending an ebay message after every partial refund to avoid defects?

What does sending an email in M2M have to do avoiding any kind of defect, whether for a partial refund or not?  I'm not sure I understand.

It was brought up the other week that if we give a partial refund for something like a shipping refund thru paypal, we need to send an ebay message regarding the partial.

Oh on a partial.  Well to me that is just good customer service to notify the buyer as to why they got a partial refund.  So if you issue a Full refund in PP without a cancellation in Ebay, Request or Claim, then you still get a defect?

Message 49 of 67
latest reply

awesome @Anonymous

Message 50 of 67
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I sincerely hope all of you had some great time off with your family and friends to enjoy the holidays!!!

Further I hope all of you have a fantastic New Year!!  

I want you to know I personally appreciate and respect the hard work all of you do to help us keep the community moving in the right direction.  The follow through of the CSRs on this thread are exceptional and I for one deeply appreciate the hard work.  It is frustrating at times, but the rewards can be great.  I want you all to know it has not gone unnoticed by me and I'm VERY grateful to have this thread as a resource with people that really do care!!!

THANK YOU !!!  

Thank you @mam98031! My Holidays were definitely filled with Colombian food, relaxation and love heart_eyes

I greatly appreciate your kind words and am happy to have been able to help you throughout 2017. Here is to all the great work we will do together in the New Year champagne

Care to share? Smiley LOL

I don't live in one of the good states.

I made them at home and it was a delicious Christmas!

Nom!Nom!

Colombian hot chocolateColombian hot chocolate

Colombian BuñuelosColombian Buñuelos

That would taste wonderful after another Columbian product ...... Smiley Wink

The wife of a good friend of mine is Columbian, but she doesn't cook. But her mama sometimes brings stuff in .......

@fern*wood wrote:

I still see, on a regular basis, sellers with return polices that add the caveat that if the return is anything other than a mistake or not as described (such as remorse), they have the right to refuse.   I also see listings stating if the buyer wants insurance they need to contact them so the invoice can be adjusted.

Does ebay ever send out instructions to sellers about this?  I've stopped buying from any sellers with the return policy blurb, even though I've never returned an item. 

Hi @fern*wood - as you know, neither of those situations are one we would hold buyers to. We do work to educate sellers if we can detect those phrases in a description, but otherwise we don't have something I can find that explicitly calls those out. Good idea for a Help Page article, I'll get it to the right team. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 52 of 67
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I have a suggestion for an improvement to the Return Process.  More specifically for an INR.

Let's say a buyer files an INR because they have not yet received the item.  In checking the tracking, it is discovered that the package is on it's way back to the seller because it was undeliverable as addressed.

Using the format that is currently available to a seller, there is no way to handle this without having to get Ebay involved.  Some kind of mechansim within the Request would be nice so that a seller could select the reason for an incorrect buyer address and to issue a partial refund [less original shipping, whether free shipping or stated shipping].  

Hi @mam98031, great suggestion! I will pass this along for review. At the moment, if a buyer provides an incorrect address eBay would protect the seller and close the case in their favor - however, I know that some sellers are happy to issue a partial refund minus shipping costs for a mistake like this. Currently, we would recommend issuing a refund directly through the PayPal transaction and contacting eBay for any potential fee credits. Having a process for this on the site could help create easier resolutions slight_smile

Did you forget to mention the part about sending an ebay message after every partial refund to avoid defects?

What does sending an email in M2M have to do avoiding any kind of defect, whether for a partial refund or not?  I'm not sure I understand.

It was brought up the other week that if we give a partial refund for something like a shipping refund thru paypal, we need to send an ebay message regarding the partial.

Hi @d-k_treasures & @mam98031 - just wanted to clarify that if a partial refund is issued through PayPal without an explination, a defect can be recorded. This was a part of our 2015 Fall Seller Update where a PayPal refund can be considerd an Out of Stock defect. Since a full refund should always be issued through a Cancellation or an eBay Money Back Guarantee claim, having messages on the eBay platform to explain the refund would only be needed for a partial refund directly through PayPal. If there is any eBay Money Back Guarantee case associated with the transaction, this would fulfill our expectation to be informed about why a partial refund was issued. 

Typically, a partial refund without any sort of case/request would only be for a shipping discount after the payment has been made. I have passed along a suggestion to create a partial refund process on the site with specific examples so we can consider this for furture implementation. I appreciate the help of you both and the rest of the Community in gathering some great material to include in my suggestions!

Message 53 of 67
latest reply

Hi: Trinton  I'm still waiting  on tech boys  to fix my buying issues on Ebay.com,Uk and Ca. Only!  for the 5 months  !  The Lowdown I got from  couple CSR's and Supervisor  was that  ebay rolled out the new Buyer risk program  that places buyers with high UPI numbers and cancellations  for a indeterrent time until they can show  great behavior by paying on time to Pay IPR  on all BIN's even if seller  doesn't require IPR.   The CSR Reps  and Supervisor said I got pulled in by mistake do to Glichs in the new program based  the  5 sellers I had that did cancellations with out asking me  . I did tell the CRS rep's I filed reports  on those 5 sellers  and had CRS read the reason's I got from those sellers ,i.e. lost items ,and sold to another buyer.  Rep's think sellers tried too avoid defects by claiming in cancellations buyer request .   The Rep's said my buying recorded is clean no issues .  I can do BIN's on other ebay sites and pay up the next 2 or 3 days   so I can Bid on same sellers or  item that  are Auctions .  The reps think I'm not the only buyer  with great record  that is suck into the new progrom do to lieing sellers avoiding defects 

Message 54 of 67
latest reply

I had a very good sales year in 2017 and I'm looking forward to sales in 2018.

I just finished inventory and I'm ready to head into 2018.

Some of the changes this year were very good and I'm hoping to see some more seller friendly changes in the future.

Message 55 of 67
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Thank you.  But issuing a PP refund without a corresponding cancellation in Ebay creates a ding.  Oh wait, if we [a seller] does a partial refund in PP, then a ding is not created.

Hi @mam98031, happy to let you know that once an eBay Money Back Guarantee claim has been closed we would not record any out of stock defects for a PayPal refund, either full or partial. We know that in most situations where a claim has been closed and a refund is then issued through PayPal, the seller and buyer are simply working together and we are here to support you. 

GREAT to know, thank you for the info.  And I hope you are successful in having the team responsiblef for the policy to consider my suggestion.  It is obviously easier and certainly more effecient, therefore we all save time and moneey on the process.

Can definitely see the value in this suggestion and will get it passed along today slight_smile

Can we get it one step further and have the case auto-extended if the tracking shows it's still in transit?

Hi @d-k_treasures, though an auto-extension is not an option currently, we are able to allow more time if both parties are working on a resolution. If the package has already been attempted to be delivered to the buyer, we would close for the seller. If the package is still in transit to the buyer and has recent scans, we would give more time for delivery/attempted delivery. I can include in my submission for enhancements to the item not received case process that we allow for further extensions if the seller has offered some kind of partial refund after return delivery, related to an incorrect address.

Message 56 of 67
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Thank you.  But issuing a PP refund without a corresponding cancellation in Ebay creates a ding.  Oh wait, if we [a seller] does a partial refund in PP, then a ding is not created.

If I recall correctly, you need to send the buyer an Ebay message, stating the reason for the partial refund, to be covered against a ding.

Message 57 of 67
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

I still see, on a regular basis, sellers with return polices that add the caveat that if the return is anything other than a mistake or not as described (such as remorse), they have the right to refuse.   I also see listings stating if the buyer wants insurance they need to contact them so the invoice can be adjusted.

Does ebay ever send out instructions to sellers about this?  I've stopped buying from any sellers with the return policy blurb, even though I've never returned an item. 

Hi @fern*wood - as you know, neither of those situations are one we would hold buyers to. We do work to educate sellers if we can detect those phrases in a description, but otherwise we don't have something I can find that explicitly calls those out. Good idea for a Help Page article, I'll get it to the right team. 🙂

Fern and I have had this discussion on other threads over the years a few times.  Fern does not like my return policy at all and she has passionately expressed them to me on many occasions.

For me, I state that I may or may not accept a buyer's remorse return for good reason.  It has been very rare that I've refused one, but since I sell some fragrances, there are health laws and concerns that have to be considered.  So I state it to reserve my right of refusal even though I haven't found much reason to use it.

With the recent changes to how a Buyer's remorse return can be handled within the Ebay system, it has helped sellers a great deal in processing such requests.  I personally really like it.  But of course it is greatly dependent on the buyer being honest when they file their request for return.  I am however still happy with the changes in October.

Message 58 of 67
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

Hi: Trinton  I'm still waiting  on tech boys  to fix my buying issues on Ebay.com,Uk and Ca. Only!  for the 5 months  !  The Lowdown I got from  couple CSR's and Supervisor  was that  ebay rolled out the new Buyer risk program  that places buyers with high UPI numbers and cancellations  for a indeterrent time until they can show  great behavior by paying on time to Pay IPR  on all BIN's even if seller  doesn't require IPR.   The CSR Reps  and Supervisor said I got pulled in by mistake do to Glichs in the new program based  the  5 sellers I had that did cancellations with out asking me  . I did tell the CRS rep's I filed reports  on those 5 sellers  and had CRS read the reason's I got from those sellers ,i.e. lost items ,and sold to another buyer.  Rep's think sellers tried too avoid defects by claiming in cancellations buyer request .   The Rep's said my buying recorded is clean no issues .  I can do BIN's on other ebay sites and pay up the next 2 or 3 days   so I can Bid on same sellers or  item that  are Auctions .  The reps think I'm not the only buyer  with great record  that is suck into the new progrom do to lieing sellers avoiding defects 

Hi @carlmarxx - sorry you're still waiting on this! I'll reach out for a few more details to see if I can't shake down an update for us. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 59 of 67
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

Hi Alan - hope you enjoyed your holidays!

Not sure you can help me - but I wondered if you have a contact for the Litium boards I can talk to. Many threads get a little heated and people have reported them as there is baiting and outright abuse - but the mods, depending who is on, do nothing about removing the offending posts or quieting the anti-Ebay crowd. Then you have a helpful poster who mentions another business - like Walmart and they get a warning.

I'm friendly with a mod who is kind enough to message me as to which threads to avoid as they are baiting many of us - and I pass along the info - but she's not always on - and I'm sorry but I'm sick of the anti Ebay rhetoric all the time. Some of these people were kicked off long ago for a reason - Ebay thought they should give them a second chance - but these boards have become less helpful as people do not want to contend with being challenged everytime they try to address an OP's question. 

Hi @tunicaslot

The best person to speak with on that topic is me. I work closely with the Lithium moderation team lead to discuss moderation best practices to ensure that we have fair moderation in our Community. 

Please send me a PM with your thoughts on the matter, and I will chat with the Lithium moderation lead to see if tweaks need to be made to our approach. 

Thank you. 

Just want to express support for Tunicaslot's assessment.  

Message 60 of 67
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: