cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Aug 22nd from 1:00 pm PDT - Managed Payments on eBay

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Sellers,

Join eBay’s Vikas Mehta who is leading the rollout of Payments in North America on our Community Chat.  For those invited to pre-register for the initial phase, here’s your opportunity to ask any questions you may have.  And for those not partaking in the launch, find out what’s ahead. 

This chat thread will open for questions at 1 pm and it will close for new questions at 2 pm. 

Chat with you then! 

*To be mindful of sellers’ time and contribution, please focus your comments and questions regarding the topic of the chat. Keeping in mind the Community’s Rules of Engagement when you post. Non-constructive/disrespectful comments will be removed by our moderation team so that the thread can focus on a productive discussion. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Will ebay deposit funds to a PayPal account?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 16 of 68
latest reply

The shipping label purchase procedure stays the same as it is today -- you will use your paypal account to purchase labels.

So we will NOT have to go to Paypal to print the label and will still get the TRS discounts?  only difference is we will have to fund the paypal account in a different manner since payments will not be made into that account.......Correct?

Message 17 of 68
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dhbookds wrote:

I assume this is about the test that will go into effect in Sept.......that you are trying to get sellers to sign up for.

Can you define the differences between that test and the way we presently use paypal.....  There's been a lot of discussion about things, phone calls, that outline some things, but seem to say that the final decisions had not been made yet........

Hi @dhbookds.  Thanks for your question.  First, let me clarify that this is not a test.  It's the initial launch of a multi year initiative to bring to life our vision on managing payments. 

In the initial launch starting in September, buyers will have credit and debit cards and Apple Pay (for the first time on eBay) as payment methods.  Paypal will not be a payment method for our buyers.  Sellers will receive funds directly to their bank accounts.  Offering Paypal as a form of payment is a top priority for us and will be added by the summer of 2019.

In the end state, buyers will have a number of choices including debit card, credit card, Paypal, apple pay and other common forms of payments.  Sellers will have a simpler one stop place with consolidated reporting, fees, dedicated customer support for all their ebay sales.

Message 18 of 68
latest reply

@mendelsons wrote:

Are you going to brand it with something other than Managed Payments ?  How are you going to sell it to your shoppers ?

Hi @mendelsons, thanks for being the first question in our chat today.  Our vision is to create a modern marketplace and managing payments is a core component to enable this.  We want payments on eBay to be seamless, frictionless, and to allow maximum buyer choice to pay.  Buyers will pay how they do today with alternative payment options, and sellers will receive funds how they want.  We won't look to create a separate brand or sell it to shoppers.

To maintain frictionless flow.... can I suggest that the buyers ship to address stands out clear to them where it is being shipped.  We regularly get change in shipping address which many of the times its their old address before they moved.  Buyers are just clicking to finish the transaction and not actually looking at what they are donig, is my take on many of these request.  Which sometimes ends up costing us more to do, cancelling postage after a scan sheet has been printed is not refunable - so we eat it at the buyers carelessness.  Just annoying as well.

Message 19 of 68
latest reply

Can a seller volunteer for the initial launch if they were not sent an invitation?

Message 20 of 68
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@lecroy3 wrote:

Hi Alan. Will we be able to purchase shipping labels and/or Ebay merchandise with our funds before they are deposited into our bank accounts? If not, what is the Ebay shipping label purchase procedure?

Hi @lecroy3.  Thanks for the question.  The shipping label purchase procedure stays the same as it is today -- you will use your paypal account to purchase labels.  Regarding buying shipping labels or eBay merchandise before funds hit your bank account - thats not possible.  We want sellers to access their funds as soon as possible which is why we are initiating daily payouts as soon as eBay receives the funds. 

But none of the funds are going into the PP account, so we would have to fund them another way?!?!?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 21 of 68
latest reply

How will partial refunds be handled, for example, refunding for combined shipping?

Message 22 of 68
latest reply

Then for doing labels, I will be accessing my bank account to send labels? OR do you mean, eBay puts the money in my bank account as quick as PP does (immediate), then I have to transfer from my bank account to PP, then do what I call the eBay label? I am confused.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 23 of 68
latest reply

n the end state, buyers will have a number of choices including debit card, credit card, Paypal, apple pay and other common forms of payments.  Sellers will have a simpler one stop place with consolidated reporting, fees, dedicated customer support for all their ebay sales.

In the end state................that's fine.   but in this beginning that you are trying to get sellers to sign up for......buyers will NOT be able to use paypal.........correct?  That's what I was told during a phone call from your people.  Altho the implication seemed to be that might change.......HAS IT?

If you want me to sign up, NOW, I need you to tell me what I am signing up FOR, AT THIS TIME. 

Message 24 of 68
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

But none of the funds are going into the PP account, so we would have to fund them another way?!?!?

For what it's worth, I fund shipping with my credit card and I get cash back for it. I submit weekly payments to my credit card to cover any shipping expenses.

Message 25 of 68
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@laylajames9 wrote:

- What seller protections will be offered when a buyer does a credit card chargeback and what is a seller required to do to receive protection in these cases?

Thanks @laylajames9 for your question on seller protections.  That is an important topic for our sellers and for us at eBay.  You can expect to see the same level of protection on eBay, and it will be fully managed by eBay, much like at other marketplaces.  This is the benefit of selling and getting paid all in one place.

Seller protection from eBay is designed to help you safeguard your online sales and prevent you from losing money due to chargebacks and eBay Money Back Guarantee claims. Learn more about eBay Seller Protection Policy

Message 26 of 68
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@laylajames9 wrote:

- What seller protections will be offered when a buyer does a credit card chargeback and what is a seller required to do to receive protection in these cases?

Thanks @laylajames9 for your question on seller protections.  That is an important topic for our sellers and for us at eBay.  You can expect to see the same level of protection on eBay, and it will be fully managed by eBay, much like at other marketplaces.  This is the benefit of selling and getting paid all in one place.

Seller protection from eBay is designed to help you safeguard your online sales and prevent you from losing money due to chargebacks and eBay Money Back Guarantee claims. Learn more about eBay Seller Protection Policy

Thank you for the reply, but can you be more specific, please?

- If a buyer files an Unauthorized Use chargeback, will the seller have to pay out or will eBay cover it as long as the seller shipped and delivered to the address on file?

- If a buyer files a not as described chargeback through their credit card, will eBay be able to force a return of the item before the seller has to pay out or will the seller lose the item and be forced to refund on top of it?

- Will there be a fee if a CC chargeback is filed (PayPal currently charges a $20 fee if the seller loses a chargeback)?

Message 27 of 68
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@laylajames9 wrote:

- How long will it take for a refund to post to the buyer's account?

- Will a seller have non-refundable transaction fees when an item is canceled and refunded?

Hi @laylajames9, the refund timing won't change once we migrate over to managed payments.

Regarding payment processing fees in case of refunds - for those in the initial launch, you will not be charged the fixed part (typically 30 cents) of the payment processing fee; i.e. no flat fees on refunds.  

Message 28 of 68
latest reply

@laylajames9 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

For what it's worth, I fund shipping with my credit card and I get cash back for it. I submit weekly payments to my credit card to cover any shipping expenses.

Which is fine for you and me [I do that too], but for others they use part of the money received from the sale to fund it.  They run their working capital very close to the vest so to speak.  Micro, casual and small sellers can ge significantly impacted by this.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 29 of 68
latest reply

What is the time frame when ebay will start telling sellers they have to register their bank account and/or financial backup payment information with ebay - for deposits, and/or, if necessary, autopay billing, returns and such. 

Or, will all that be handled by seller provided funding of PayPal?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 30 of 68
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: