cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay failed to issue refund back to PayPal

I opened a case because my item was damaged in transit due to poor packing.

On 2/17 the seller issued me a full refund and instructed me to keep the item (exists still in my messages).

From 2/17 until 3/2 if I looked at my case it stated "Your refund is being processed. The seller has initiated a refund of $83.59 to your original payment method and it should clear within 3 to 5 business days"

Today (3/2) I contacted eBay.  Initially I got someone who seemed to be US based and was helpful,  he transferred me to (I think) billing,  who checked and said that the "refund had failed" in their system.    Inexplicably she stated she couldn't help me more and transferred me back to the main support line.   This time someone overseas who was not knowledgeable.   

This person finally informed me that she would have to fill out a form and request a manual refund which would take 10 business days.

I said this wasn't acceptable and wanted to speak to a supervisor.   I finally was able to speak to a supervisor (US based) who was helpful.  

After some time he said the previous rep was wrong and a manual refund was not necessary, rather managed payments just needed to force the refund.

I'd been on hold at this point for over 30 minutes.   The supervisor put me on/off hold again for 15 more minutes, at one point informing me an IT case had been opened before coming back and saying he had arranged for managed payments to resolve the issue.

The supervisor dropped off the line and left me with the managed payments rep,  who was in training, was being shadowed by someone else and had no knowledge (????) of the details.   After putting me on/off hold 3 more times over 10 minutes he told me that this was not an issue managed payments could resolve and would have to transfer me again.   I cannot remember the department name,  customer something.  He must have messed up the transfer as the line dropped.  I'd been on the phone for over an hour.

I called back and gave the call reference and the customer service rep said it only contained "very limited information" and asked that I explain my problem over again 😞 

I was so fed up I hung up.

Since the payment had been sent from PayPal, opened a PayPal case.   

eBay then kindly sent me an email saying "The return request for [ITEM NAME DELETED] has been closed because we were notified that you filed a dispute with your payment institution" 😉

eBay, if you are listening, your customer service is absolutely awful.    The above is just unacceptable.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: eBay failed to issue refund back to PayPal

How about a response eBay?  I know you have a few employees monitoring these community discussions.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: eBay failed to issue refund back to PayPal

So I actually wrote to eBay via USPS mail.   They never responded.

I ended up having to open a case with PayPal.  eBay never responded to the case and so PayPal refunded me.

Bravo eBay!!

Message 3 of 3
latest reply