cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sign In Problems

I use a non-tracking browser for years now with no problems signing in anywhere. Now after a month of signing into Ebay (with my very long and secure password) I start getting a verification request - I have to sign into my email account and retrieve a 6 digit code within 15 minutes OR I get locked out and have to call Ebay. Funny that I am only asked for verification the first time I sign in every day and not after that. Ebay sees me as signing in with a new device. I contacted Ebay customer service thru chat and I was asked to change my password. I do this and I can sign in no problem for a week or so before the problem starts again. I then call Ebay and am asked to set up secret questions for security and am told this will fix the problem. For reference, I have not changed anything on my end, always use the same computer to sign in and my browser is up-to-date. Anyone having similar experiences and can offer advice or should I just give up...

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Sign In Problems

As long as your browser is blocking tracking or not saving eBay cookies between sessions you are likely to encounter verification issues of one kind or another. Cookies are how eBay recognizes your device so erasing them will make it look like you are signing in with a new device, and some verification pages have problems if tracking or third-party cookies are blocked.

You might want to consider using a different browser just for eBay, or else try exempting eBay from your security procedures.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Sign In Problems

Are you using a VPN? That can cause some of the problems you have experienced.  Did you perhaps change any setting related to cookies? It seems eBay is either not recognizing your device, your login location, or some other piece of data that indicates you are "known" to them.

Authentication happens in many ways. Not just via your password. Could even be something with your IP address.  When you say none tracking browser, some might create a temporary cookie that allows you to work until you close the browser. If you have a windows machine with a camera, you might be able to use windows hello, which allows you to log in with your face and no password. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply