cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package weight exceeds the maximum limit

When editing listings in seller hub I have been getting Package weight exceeds the maximum limit for usps first class items for anything I list over 13 ounces.. when USPS first class goes up to 15... can this be fixed please 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The shipping team has been implementing a lot of restrictions on the shipping section of the listing form around package dimensions, categories/services, etc.

Making an educated guess, I'd say they may have implemented a restriction of 13 oz on sellers that charge retail rates to buyers since the retail cap on FC is 13 oz. So far yours is the first report I've seen so my guess is just speculation at this point. If this is what happened I agree that it's ridiculous since the online limit is 15.99 oz.

The good news is the rate for 13-15 oz is the same, so you could set up your listings with a 13 oz weight then adjust them to 15 oz on the label purchase page. Doing this could cause some issues come July (see the link in my signature below about USPS Ground Advantage) when the price structure is modified.

Tagging in @nobody*s_perfect as an FYI.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote: ... Making an educated guess, I'd say they may have implemented a restriction of 13 oz on sellers that charge retail rates to buyers since the retail cap on FC is 13 oz. ...

I don't see any reason for eBay to allow sellers to enter a weight over 13 ounces for a First Class package if the seller has chosen to leave their shipping calculator set to charge retail rates.  

IMHO  is actually an improvement over the current default, which is showing the Priority Mail price if the seller enters a weight over 13 ounces when offering First Class package shipping. As noted, if you don't want to change your site preferences so the shipping calculator shows the online rates, then the simple workaround is to set the weight at 13 ounces.

Thanks for tagging me; I don't usually check the tech issues board.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

I don't see any reason for eBay to allow sellers to enter a weight over 13 ounces for a First Class package if the seller has chosen to leave their shipping calculator set to charge retail rates.  

I ship internationally and many buyers purchase multiple quantities. For me, weight is important to ensure accurate shipping rates both domestic and international.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

But if the listing is set up to charge retail rates, then your shipping rate is inaccurate even for that single item purchase. The listing will show the Priority Mail price for your 15-ounce item. If you want accuracy then wouldn't you set up the shipping calculator with online rates?    

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

But if the listing is set up to charge retail rates, then your shipping rate is inaccurate even for that single item purchase. The listing will show the Priority Mail price for your 15-ounce item. If you want accuracy then wouldn't you set up the shipping calculator with online rates?    

Yes well that's why I use an average flat rate (or free) for domestic with calculated international on FC packages. Accurate weight is important for the international portion. Not every seller is going to have the same set up.

The best solution would be for eBay to not implement a weight restriction until after USPS Ground Advantage launches since fudging the weight to 13 oz will have consequences starting July 9 for domestic (and can have consequences currently for international).

GLORIOUS!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply