cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My item search window will not retain settings...

Good morning and hope you're all having a wonderful Holiday season!

In the last 2 weeks, I find my search window settings are resetting back to a default (?) every time I log out.  I clear cache and cookies with every logout on my PC - this has never interefered with my search settings before. Each am, I log in and have to reset the view to gallery, request item page to launch in a new window, reset listings from 60 to 240, etc.  Then when I reset everything, the settings fail to launch a new item in a new page.   I have a Dell with Windows 10 and am up to date on everything.  Has anything happened on eBay's end to cause this?  See attached pics below... Any help is most welcome!!!

Kind regards,

Anglophile62Slide1.JPGSlide2.JPG

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Are your search defaults maintained if you do not clear you eBay cookies?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I'll check, but I have always had clear cookies/cache set with every log out and this has not happened before.  But, I'll reset my settings and see what happens.  

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Just checked - yes, search defaults are maintained if I don't clear ebay cookies.  So, I listed ebay as a site to retain cookies BUT....this is a new issue since I've always cleared all cookies and never lost my search defaults.  I don't know if this is something from the ebay side?  or is it a microsoft thing?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@anglophile62,

If you don't clear your cookie cache it will clog up your device not only with eBay cookies, but Google's cookies as well, and slow it down. 

Either this was a mistake in coding or it was done on purpose.  In my opinion it was the latter reason.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Coding issue on ebay's part or MS?

I like to clear everything every day - and this just started happening in the last 2 weeks so I agree with you, it's a coding change on someone's part.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@anglophile62 

@eburtonlab 

My search had been set to "newest first" for years with item number displayed. I noticed this past week that I'm getting "best match" instead, and no item numbers.  Just mentioning that eBay has apparently "reset" the search page customization parameters shown in that earlier screenshot.  Today I took the time to redo my "customize" settings. I'll let you know if I encounter another reset at login.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Hi - to add on to what @shipscript  noted, I will create a search query, request "Newest First" and end up with "Best Match" as the search return order.  Item No. also does not show item numbers.  Just an FYI.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

An update - I've decided to carry on as usual and clear all cookies etc. with every logout.  I don't want stuff cloggin cache etc. and who wants Google cookies living in their machine anyway! 😉

I'd appreciate it if ebay would look into this a bit further - it will be a hassle to reset my search criteria EVERY DAY but I'll do it.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I've decided to carry on as usual and clear all cookies etc. with every logout. I don't want stuff cloggin cache etc. and who wants Google cookies living in their machine anyway!

It is possible to clear your browser cache and still retain cookies.

You may want to consider deleting eBay cookies on a different schedule -- perhaps once a week instead of every time you close the browser.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@eburtonlab 

When I logged in this am, settings had been retained from yesterday - and cache/cookies were set to clear on logout....so did the magic ebay coding fairies do something during the night???😆

Item number still does not display, but everything else seems to be as normal.  I'll keep playing around with settings etc. this week to make sure I didn't miss something in settings.   I saw your note above - thank you for the suggestion.  I appreciate your help!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply