cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False shipping information

When a seller uses the eBay app to prepare a shipping label, eBay automatically and instantly sends an email to the buyer stating that the item "has been shipped" and is "on its way."  I fact, there is no connection between shipping (custody of the item changing to the carrier) and preparing the label.  Shipping will almost always take place later.  I the laterst instance, the "It's been shipped" was 1/5/18 and as of this typing (1/10/18 09"40 PM EST) the item, according to the carrier, is not in its possession.  That is, in law it has not been "shipped."

eBay customer service repeatedly says it cannot do anything about this practice or even suggest who at eBay has authority to address this practice.

It was just suggested by eBay second tier customer service that I file criminal charges against eBay as a means on getting its attention.  (As I changed position in reliance on a willfully false statement of fact - a statement delivered over the Internet - that wouild be Wire Fraud.)

Every time I get one of these willfuilly inaccurate "shipping" notices, it grates.  And for mthe life of me I cannot see how it puts one extra penny in eBaay's pocket.  Seems like all downside.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

This is an ongoing major topic sellers have been bringing to ebays attention for years
Hopefully they will change it to something like (Here is your tracking information) 
Just try to check your estimated delivery dates & hang in there.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

OP, there is a thread about this right now on both the Selling Board and the Buying Board, the title is YOUR ITEM HAS SHIPPED please share your opinion.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/YOUR-ITEM-HAS-SHIPPED-please-share-your-opinion/m-p/27941651#M...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/YOUR-ITEM-HAS-SHIPPED-please-share-your-opinion/m-p/279...

This thread has just been posted on the YOUR ITEM HAS SHIPPED thread on the Selling Board.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Turns out the seller was a drop shipper and could not come up with the item.  So five days after it was "shipped," the seller was allowed by eBay to "cancel" the contract unilaterally.  Transaction disappeared from my list of items for feedback.  Just swell.  The excuse for cancelling was that "something was wrong" with my (23-year old PayPal verified) address - a bald-faced lie.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Sorry to hear , That stinks
I have also had sellers cancel my items, none marked as shipped like yours but paid 
It is unfortunate we are getting so many of these!
Some of mine had been items that are not available in stores anymore and when I am lucky enough to find it , it's a real let down to have the seller cancel.

Wishing you luck in finding it again, Shame you waited all this time for nothing.

I do know as a seller if you cancel there is only 3 reasons
Buyer requested, problem with buyer address , or out of stock
If you seller did cancel due to out of stock then ebay does give sellers a defect for that.
To many defects drop the sellers status and can hurt their account.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply