cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly locking my account for no reason

Ebay keeps constantly locking my account for no reason and making me change my password. This is absurd. Any time I write a text message on my phone or take a picture with my phone or send an email to someone all these thousands of spammy 3rd party companies that are collecting my data are monitoring me electronically then erroneously lock my ebay account forcing me to reset my password and go through the google owned "I'm not a robot picture test". Stop locking my account. I am allowed to write messages to my contacts about whatever I want and should not be harassed based on information in what is supposed to be private conversations with my contacts. Please stop monitoring my personal emails and text messages on my private email account and on my phone constantly locking my account, and please stop making me change my password for no reason every couple days. If someone knows how to opt out of Ebay and their 3rd party affiliates from invading my privacy outside of  Ebay please let me know how to do this .

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

This is not contact eBay , Try the eBay help link at the top of the page:

https://ebay.com/help 

Unless your phone has some stuff on it, your messaging or photos would not access your eBay account locking it. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

eBay is not here, and posting here will not cause eBay to alter site-wide security procedures to suit you.

Using a VPN or certain kinds of privacy software can result in the need to undergo additional verification challenges, or may even cause eBay to lock your account in some cases.

For most users that are not erasing cookies, changing IP-addresses or spoofing geographic location information, verification is only required the first time you sign in to eBay or when something changes.

Repeated verification requests might be an indication of an issue with your browser, browser settings, add-ons, cookies, or network. Or repeated verification request can happen if eBay notices something that appears suspicious about your account, such as simultaneous sign-in attempts from widely separated geographic locations. If you are certain you are not doing anything that would appear suspicious, perhaps someone is trying to sign in to your account from an insecure network, and eBay is noticing that and locking your account to prevent it.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

It's happening when I send a text message or email to normal contacts, talking about normal things, or when I search the internet about normal things, no vpn, nothing out of the ordinary, from a normal ISP internet connection that I pay for from my home no spoofing or anything like that, or when I take a photo of something with my mobile phone, or post a comment in a forum like this comment I am making now. These are normal events that should not cause Ebay to lock my account and change my password, but this is what is happening. These are obviously false flags and it's spammy and irritating. I should not have to reset my password every 2 days. The people or A.I. that is causing this to happen are also scanning this content which I am writing now. So hopefully posting this comment will in fact stop the spammy locking of my account for no reason. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

"So hopefully posting this comment will in fact stop the spammy locking of my account for no reason."

Let us users know if this works for you; as I have major doubts it will......

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If it's an A.I. and has any type of A.I. learning that was my hope that it can understand this. But also was looking for feedback from users like you guys. Thanks. User eburtonlab also mentioned that using VPN can cause your account to lock, aside from the other things I mentioned I can also verify this is true as well. I used a VPN one day to protect my privacy while browsing the internet normally, browsing having nothing to do with ebay, didnt try to log into ebay with it or anything like that, and then the next day I tried to log into ebay and I was also this time forced to change my password. I could understand if using a VPN caused a 2FA check, but really, making me change my password because I used a VPN to protect my privacy? No, this should not happen. This is in fact the right place to be posting about this because the only way this will change is if the community speaks up about it.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@zero_hour wrote:

If it's an A.I. and has any type of A.I. learning that was my hope that it can understand this. But also was looking for feedback from users like you guys. Thanks. User eburtonlab also mentioned that using VPN can cause your account to lock, aside from the other things I mentioned I can also verify this is true as well. I used a VPN one day to protect my privacy while browsing the internet normally, browsing having nothing to do with ebay, didnt try to log into ebay with it or anything like that, and then the next day I tried to log into ebay and I was also this time forced to change my password. I could understand if using a VPN caused a 2FA check, but really, making me change my password because I used a VPN to protect my privacy? No, this should not happen. This is in fact the right place to be posting about this because the only way this will change is if the community speaks up about it.  

Were as I agree with you:

I do not have enough knowledge of eBay security systems to say if it will be changed or not.

That would be the important factor in any changes eBay is willing to make.

Keep such in mind..

Message 7 of 7
latest reply