cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot filter search results by category. Anyone else?

I've had this problem for weeks and I expected it to be fixed by now. When I search for a product, there is the usual list of product categories in the left sidebar. Normally, I can filter the search results by product category or sub-category by clicking on a category in the sidebar.  But, for weeks now, when I click on a category, it takes me to the front page for that category, not to my search results. My search results are not on that page.  I thought it was a bug. Is it a feature???

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

This is eBay, where bugs ARE features.
They reorganized and consolidated categories a few weeks ago, now you have to sort by item specifics. Since most existing item specifics for many categories did not migrate when the switch was made, many sellers are having to manually reenter item specifics for their listings, in some cases thousands and thousands of items. Its a hot mess right now.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

What browser are you using?

If you mean the actual categories that are shown at the extreme left of the page after a search, when I click on those I am shown the search results that appear in just that category. I tried using Firefox, Edge, Opera and Chrome, and all seemed to be working for me as I expected.

If the problem seems to only occur for you in one browser, try clearing your browser cache and eBay cookies ("for all time" if that is an option).

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You're right. It seems to only be happening in Firefox. I will clear cookies and history. Thanks!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I set my filter on "all categories" and save.  However, when I go back to the search, it always reverts to "trading card singles.  So I'm then missing out on seeing all items in all categories.  Can anyone help?  Example:

Alex Rodriguez, Sort:  Newly Listed, Filter:  All Categories

When I exit out and go back onto ebay, filter reverts back to Trading Card Singles

UGH!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If you search alex rodriguez the search will default to the Trading Card Singles category.

If you change to "All categories" and search again, and then bookmark or save the search results, you can use the bookmarked or saved search as a starting point.

You could also try putting one of your search keywords in quotes to default to "All categories", though you would lose the benefit of any keyword substitutions -- you might miss a result with a misspelled keyword, for instance.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply