cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Thoughts on This ART GLASS VASE. Thank You.

About 10 1/2" tall and 6" across the ruffles.  Weighs about 2 1/4 pounds.

Very pretty.  Exceptionally nice glass.

Any help with ID, maker, age, etc., is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Looks like Fenton to me - start here and good luck. Very pretty. 

http://www.fentonartglass.com/catalog/2011/2011January.asp 

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Thank you so much for your response.  I'll check the link you provided in the morning.

I thought it was Fenton, too...part of their 1994 Fuchsia line.  It sure feels like Fenton.  But I've searched and searched, and can't find anything like it.  Will check your link tomorrow and, hopefully, ID it.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I Googled - fenton 2011 vase pink catalogue - for images, and found many similar ones, but don't have the time to look at them all right now - I get a feeling though it is around that timeframe.  Again, good luck.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

The ruffle sure looks like Fenton.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Good morning, everyone.  Thank you for your input.

After looking at hundreds of Fenton pieces, I think we're in agreement that my vase is indeed Fenton.  I'd like to now concentrate on the age and pattern.

I'm still leaning towards Fenton's 1994 Fuchsia line, although I could most certainly be wrong.  Does anyone have Coe's "Fenton Art Glass A Centennial of Glass Making 1907 to 2007 and Beyond?"  My local library doesn't have it, and I understand one section is dedicated to the Fuchsia line.

As for pattern, I was able to find a fan vase in the same pattern.  But the owner didn't have an age and also referred to the pattern as splatter glass and slag glass, which are not terms I would necessarily use.  So, while the pattern name may not be available, I'm receptive to other keywords.

Again, the above-referenced book may shed more light, and I look forward to your thoughts.  Thanks so much.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I am going against the grain here. I have collected Fenton for about 30 years off and on. The very thing about this vase that would make me think NOT Fenton is the double crimp.  Fenton did tons of stuff with a crimp, not so much double crimped.  In fact I believe becasue this is double crimped the chances of it being Fenton are greatly reduced. But I am no expert, just a collector. (I would also add my knowledge of Fenton applies mainly to pre 1980 Fenton.)

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Wow!  Nice catch, c*me!  You are spot on!  I hadn't even noticed that.

Now, I did check Kovel's and they do identify 24 double-crimped Fenton pieces.

But they are all newer, the earliest/oldest made in 1995.

This negates my theory that my piece is Fenton Fuchsia, because Fuchsia was only made in 1994.  So my vase is definitely not Fenton Fuchsia...maybe not even Fenton.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

(Oops...did I say that out loud?)

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

So I mentioned a factor above here that made the vase seem non-Fenton to me. the crimping.

Now for something not mentioned that would greatly increase the chances of this being Fenton (in my opinion). The shape and size.  If you can find other known Fenton pieces in this shape and size then that would give cause to supect this could be Fenton. I don't know what size it is because it has not been mentioned. I believe an objects dimensions are always a useful clue when it comes to IDing an unknown item.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

It's about 10 1/2" tall and 6" across the ruffles.  And it's quite substantial, at about 2 1/4 pounds.

It looks and feels like Fenton to me, but I could be wrong.  I was able to find a true Fenton fan vase with the exact same pattern, which also gives me some hope.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Fenton would probably be happy to claim it. 🙂

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Good morning, everyone.

Could I ask for your opinions on keywords to describe the pattern.  The vase is so pretty that I hesitate to use "splatter glass" or "globs."  I'd like some words that describe its beauty.  Thanks.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

It would be called "spatter glass" or "end of day" but this doesn't scream Fenton to me.  I don't think they made splatter glass, unless you consider the vasa murrhina a splatter glass.  Everybody may be thinking of Fenton's Rose Mist (in the 1965 catalog), and there isn't a match to this vase.

There is a cranberry spatter glass vase like this one listed under Fenton, but not ID'd as Fenton.

The fuschia shown in Coe's book looks nothing at all like this vase.

I'm thinking European.

Just my 2 cents......

Mar

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Good morning, Mar.  Thank you so much for your kind input.  And thanks, too, for checking Coe's book and Fenton's Rose Mist catalogue.

I'm rethinking the Fenton ID, too.  The neck on mine doesn't seem to be long enough.

I can't believe you found an identical one on ebay (thank you, again).  I re-measured mine in daylight and it is indeed 11", just like the one you found.

I don't know.  The LAST thing I want to do is deceive potential buyers.  Maybe you're right about it being European, which may make it difficult to identify.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I just had an afterthought.  I bought this vase several years ago, along with 3 Bohemian vases.  I had initially ruled out Bohemian, I think because of the pink color.  But do you think that's a possibility?  It's really beautiful glass.

Thanks so much. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply