cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing permanent marker from unglazed pottery? Any suggestions much appreciated!

I've tried acetone nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, lighter fluid, nothing really works.  Currently working on a piece of Frankoma. I don't really want to sand it...any suggestions?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Removing permanent marker from unglazed pottery? Any suggestions much appreciated!

If you fail with a methylene chloride stripper, another solution might be a strong concentration of hydrogen peroxide.  Not the over the counter stuff, but maybe go to a hair salon and ask if you can buy a bottle of their hydrogen peroxide bleach (it's usually 30% as opposed to the 3% stuff you get at a drug store).  It's caustic to your hands so use caution, but slathering the base and sealing it in a plastic bag for a day or two might do the trick).  It's used by many of the dealers in ironstone because it removes stains and doesn't break down the earthenware like ammonia bleach.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It's seeped into the porous material. Doubt anything is going to get all of it out.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

A gel furniture/paint stripper containing methylene chloride may work to dissolve and lift out the marker. It’s the only thing I’ve ever had any luck with removing perm marker from unglazed pottery. It’s nasty stuff and has been in the news quite a bit recently. Be sure you follow the direction for use. 

Hopefully your Frankoma piece is Ada clay, it’s the least porus of the three production clays. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

If you fail with a methylene chloride stripper, another solution might be a strong concentration of hydrogen peroxide.  Not the over the counter stuff, but maybe go to a hair salon and ask if you can buy a bottle of their hydrogen peroxide bleach (it's usually 30% as opposed to the 3% stuff you get at a drug store).  It's caustic to your hands so use caution, but slathering the base and sealing it in a plastic bag for a day or two might do the trick).  It's used by many of the dealers in ironstone because it removes stains and doesn't break down the earthenware like ammonia bleach.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thank you...I will definitely give this a try. much appreciated.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for this suggestion...I had tried just about everything else! Sounds like a good possibility...much appreciated.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The best way is to fire it off in a kiln.  If you bring the temperature up slowly, (say 200 degrees per hour) to a top temp of 500 -600 degrees it should burn off without harming the ware.  Good luck - Dorothy Hafner

please see my vintage ceramics on ebay and also at my etsy online store "Dorothy_Hafner_Vintage".

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I know its solved but hair spray on fabric with dawn potterry etc....

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

no soap on glass just hair spry
Message 9 of 9
latest reply