cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MURANO GLASS VS. FAKE

I recently received 14 pieces of glass candy from an estate sale.  I cannot find duplicates of these pieces online anywhere.  My son-in-law says they are Murano, but I am leary since I discovered they may also be imitation.  How can I tell if they are real.  There are no markings.  They are full of air bubbles.  I do not want to go to the trouble of listing them if they are just cheap glass.  Can anyone help.  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: MURANO GLASS VS. FAKE

Not all Italian glass was made on the island of Murano. If this isn't Italian glass it could be from anywhere - such as Sweden, China, the Middle East. Are you positive it was made in Italy?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

No I am not positive.  That's why I am here trying to find someone who knows the stuff and get their opinion.  Like I said in the original posting, I got them from an estate sale. I am trying to find out if there is a way to know if they are real.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

even if it was not made by one of the Murano companies it not a fake since it not signed or being passed off as Murano.  The only way to be sure if is Murano is to know if this was the product of a specific company.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I also buy Murano at estate sales, but only buy those items that are marked, or still have some identifying paper label still attached..............and also are high quality glass. If it looks cheaply made, it is not Murano. I have seen 'glass candy', at estate sales, and it sure doesn't look like Murano to me.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

thanks for the input so far.  Im still as lost as when I began.  Maybe, if anyone has a piece with a Murano mark they could post a picture of the mark, then I could go from there.  Since these don't have marks at all, It won't help with them, but maybe it will help in future finds.  Thanks again.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

there is no single murano mark.  there are dozens of factories each with there own marks.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply